Spring Practice #2, 3/26 4:20pm

Fingers

Post updates in this thread. I'll update this first post.

CBDgh_FXEAEdspO.jpg

MAHONEY: In two days @gotmy_weightup has shown a lot of progress. Strength gains he has made, he's stronger and has sense of urgency.
MAHONEY: Blair has to help us at tackle. He's got to step up. Competition is key at any area. Last year was not up to the standard.
MAHONEY: @J_Rob51 has really grown up a lot. He's been really vocal. He's responded to the challenge at center.
MAHONEY: @Chance_A_Hall is getting healthier. He's increased his reps. @jackjoneshii is so athletic. His toughness, he's got the mentality.

DeBORD: It's the most fun I have had in a long time. I love the passion of the players.
DeBORD: We have great offensive coaches, I let those guys coach.
DeBORD: The tempo is the fastest I have ever been around, I love it. It really makes the players think.
DeBORD: @UTCoachJones is the boss. It's just a switch of roles. It's the greatest of respect for each other
DeBORD: I have been pleasantly surprised with how far along we are after two days.
DeBORD: We have added a few wrinkles, but the terminology is the same.
DeBORD: We talk a lot about 63, when we put the pads on we have to be T Tough.
DeBORD: I really like what I am seeing on offense. We have great skill. I like the way @josh_dobbs1 is playing right now. I like the talent

JANCEK: Everything changes when you get to pads. We'll know more about what we have after Saturday.
JANCEK on DL injuries: You've wasted a whole spring if you change things, we have to teach the same way we always have.
JANCEK: Dillon Bates has the mentality to coach himself. I'm really proud of him for gaining the confidence at MLB.

AZZANNI: We're thin at WR and the injured players are still knocking the rust off, but it's good to have those guys back
AZZANNI: We have to keep going up, the standards don't change for anyone.
AZZANNI: Alton Howard has been great, I can't say enough about him. The sky is the limit for him.
AZZANNI On @UTCoachDeBo: It's been outstanding to have him in the room as a new voice, but an experienced voice.

MARTINEZ: The effort has been good. We only had one mental error on day 1.
MARTINEZ: At nickel, @Gmoney_7era, @d_swafford8 and @CamSutton23 are taking the most reps.
MARTINEZ: I just want to give @CamSutton23 opportunity to play nickel. He likes it. The more positions guys can play, gives you versatility.
MARTINEZ: We want to see what @ToddKellyJr6 and @aSuperManDoe can do with the first group. We are giving reps to @Cover9_ & @lee_mealone2
MARTINEZ: @CamSutton23 is savvy, he makes no mistakes. We wanted to look at one of our best players playing nickel.
MARTINEZ: With @Randyboy37 and @LaDarrellMcNeil it's like having coaches on the field. They are really smart at processing.
MARTINEZ: @EMoseley_4 is long, he made some plays because he's tall and long. He made plays a shorter player can't play.
MARTINEZ: @Elite_made and @Mabernathy04 are long guys who can make plays when they get here.
MARTINEZ: @Cover9_ is tall, long, athletic. First two days have been pretty good. On the first day, he had no mental errors.

0327_KCSP_sp_vols27_01_AL_1427405234807_15641487_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

0327_KCSP_sp_vols27_03_AL_1427405245391_15641489_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

0327_KCSP_sp_vols27_04_AL_1427405251664_15641490_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Jakob Johnson was at practice but not participating in drills. The Vols continued a heavy emphasis on special teams, fundamentals and leverage work, as well as routes on air. Tennessee also combined defensive backs and wide receivers in a drill to focus on catching and securing the football.

Ethan Wolf has been very impressive as well.

-VQ

Of interest from today's media availability with the assistants, Willie Martinez said Cameron Sutton has been working some at nickel.

-Dustin Dopriak

#VolReport: Assistants Talk #Team119 - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

CBDw2tXWEAA9BbU.jpg

-Reports that Cam Sutton is getting looks at nickel.

“I just want to give Cam the opportunity, No. 1, because he’s one of our best playmakers,” Martinez said. “And No. 2, he likes it, and he wants to do it, and that’s encouraging as a staff. The more that we gave guys that can play multiple positions — especially the corners — the better we’re gonna be on defense.

“That’s not to say we don’t have confidence in (Rashaan Gaulden), because he’s really doing well. But, again, you never know. Somebody can get hurt. We just want to make sure we’re gonna be ready for anything.”

There will be some shuffling, as there was going to be all spring,” Mahoney said. “I mean, there was going to be work done all spring with guys working some different spots. It’s always critical that we find out this spring what our value — like the first year, can Zach Fulton play guard or can he play tackle? Could he possibly play center? Can Ja’Wuan (James) pop over to left?

“So you’re always planning those things in your mind, and now it’s something that’s happened where it was already in the works. But it’s accelerated a little bit faster, and some guys have got to step up.

“And they responded today in practice, and they will.”
-Mahoney on absence of Coleman Thomas via 247

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Thanks, fingers. I love the threads. Plus I think we all could use a distraction from the Thomas arrest and the Tyndall situation.

In all fairness (and this is not a practice #2 post), but I'm listening to the Gary Parrish show here in Memphis and they talked a little about the Tyndall situation.

What he said, and of course I'm paraphrasing, is that Southern Miss was notified of the NCAA charges, as was Tennessee. Punishment will be handed down in 2-4 weeks. Boosters like Tyndall and think he did a good job with what he had this year, and while some punishments would limit Tyndall doing his job here (reduced off season meetings, recruiting restrictions, etc) the boosters do wanna keep him. If the punishments are too much for UT to handle moving forward, we can cut his contract without having to pay his buyout. Of course, then we'd have to find another coach, more instability, yada yada yada

Reactions: 2 people
-Practice happened today

-Dobbs wore #11

-Butch Jones played the role of "Head Coach"

-Billy likes to drink soda

-Ms. Lippy's car....... is green.

Reactions: 11 people
In all fairness (and this is not a practice #2 post), but I'm listening to the Gary Parrish show here in Memphis and they talked a little about the Tyndall situation.

What he said, and of course I'm paraphrasing, is that Southern Miss was notified of the NCAA charges, as was Tennessee. Punishment will be handed down in 2-4 weeks. Boosters like Tyndall and think he did a good job with what he had this year, and while some punishments would limit Tyndall doing his job here (reduced off season meetings, recruiting restrictions, etc) the boosters do wanna keep him. If the punishments are too much for UT to handle moving forward, we can cut his contract without having to pay his buyout. Of course, then we'd have to find another coach, more instability, yada yada yada
Just curious but why did u post this here?

Reactions: 8 people
Sounds like it just happened and was trying to get us an update on the DT situation...jus' sayin'. :hmm: :dunno:
Thanks for the info, but,...nothing really new. :wavey:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Big Charles looked pretty good in those drills. I'm sure they'd like him to drop another 15-20 lbs.

I wish people would stop with all the Twitter handles and just use names. From a technical standpoint I understand the Twitter architecture, their push/pull REST API, their event bus, and their underlying infrastructure and I still can't understand a darn thing that's tweeted.

Reactions: 26 people
I wish people would stop with all the Twitter handles and just use names. From a technical standpoint I understand the Twitter architecture, their push/pull REST API, their event bus, and their underlying infrastructure and I still can't understand a darn thing that's tweeted.

Yeah, I had no idea who they were referring to with half of those.

Reactions: 4 people

He just copied and pasted from Vol Football's twitter. But yes you're right. I'm unsure of who many of those handles are.

The hell? Do we not call people by their names anymore? Does everybody just make up their own name now and stick an @ in front of it? Why would coaches be referring to players with these @ signs? Clearly I'm getting too old to understand how we're supposed to communicate.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back