Which school has the most pressure?

Dougie_D

Bama -- Low pressure ---

Football is the king and the king is not going anywhere. There is a new AD in town, and getting an assistant or mid-level coach is ideal.

Texas -- Medium pressure ---

Texas wants to be good at everything, but the fan base has bought in that average is still better than nothing. The AD has already fired BOTH their long time football and basketball coaches. BUT, football will still be boss. They needed a big splash with football. Now it's bball time. I think they'll go after someone like Marshall, but if they don't land him, they'll get a Brad Underwood. The AD's job is not in jeopardy yet.

Tenn -- High Pressure ---

Dave Hart has to find a splash hire or it's just going to be ugly. If he wants any type of respect from his peers he needs to go after the big names. Do anything it takes, because if we settle for a smaller name and doesn't pan out, he'll be out of a job.

Sorry but football is king at UT also... Hart could hire Dooley to be the BB coach and it wouldn't matter. Might not like that but it's the truth.

Reactions: 8 people
Sorry but football is king at UT also... Hart could hire Dooley to be the BB coach and it wouldn't matter. Might not like that but it's the truth.

I would agree with you 15 yrs ago. Since the Pearl era the fan base has changed regarding Bball (plus Football is only now coming back after being dormant and unrelevant for several years). I sincerely believe many are watching this hire with expectations it will be someone that is a program changer and doesn't have baggage.

Reactions: 1 person
Obviously Texas if they fired a guy that everybody wants. They've got to get Shaka Smart or Greg Marshall or they traded down. You think our fan base is ridiculous...

maybe this is part of the problem.

Tennessee has two conference titles and no tournament titles in the last 30 years and you're going to make it a "high pressure" position.

That'll fly.

The only real importance of this coach is that he puts enough butts in seats for the program to be self sustaining. After that, anything else is gravy. This is not the $$ maker for the school.

High pressure for HART ONLY!

TN is a football school and always will be. The Pearl years were fun but BBall is an offseason distraction. JMO

Bama -- Low pressure ---

Football is the king and the king is not going anywhere. There is a new AD in town, and getting an assistant or mid-level coach is ideal.

Texas -- Medium pressure ---

Texas wants to be good at everything, but the fan base has bought in that average is still better than nothing. The AD has already fired BOTH their long time football and basketball coaches. BUT, football will still be boss. They needed a big splash with football. Now it's bball time. I think they'll go after someone like Marshall, but if they don't land him, they'll get a Brad Underwood. The AD's job is not in jeopardy yet.

Tenn -- High Pressure ---

Dave Hart has to find a splash hire or it's just going to be ugly. If he wants any type of respect from his peers he needs to go after the big names. Do anything it takes, because if we settle for a smaller name and doesn't pan out, he'll be out of a job.

If you are talking about ad then I agree but if school or fans in general then UT is not high pressure in basketball. The majority of fans would like to see a good product but would lose the program all together if football could win 10-12 every year. I would love to have both competing for championships but it is hard to do for a long period of time. If I had to pick I would choose football every single time.

Dickey made several bad BB hire and he stayed until he wanted to retire. There is opportunity to be good in basketball but football at any SEC school, except UK, will always over shadow basketball. Basketball was greater in the Mears years than in Pearl's. Stokley was deadly to visiting teams.

Basketball won't be a high pressure job until big money cares enough about it for it to be a high pressure job.

Tennessee has two conference titles and no tournament titles in the last 30 years and you're going to make it a "high pressure" position.

That'll fly.

Tennessee has a 22,000 seat arena to fill, the gaiters don't have that problem. :birgits_giggle:

This is funny. The answer is Texas and it's not close. It seems more important to you, but in the big spotlight, the Tennessee hire is not close to TX. Mike and Mike brought up the vacancies and didn't even mention Tennessee. The focus is on Texas and St John's. Seth Greenberg mentioned the opening in passing but that was it.

Last edited:

Actually it's not the truth, but thanks for playing. Now go crawl back to the football forum and let the adults talk.

I don't agree with Tennessee and Texas. I'd likely put both at high because Texas is looking to open a new facility and has been really close to a title before. We've sniffed one Elite 8.

That'll fly.

I wasn't aware conference titles and SECT titles were the only criteria.

I wouldn't call it a high pressure hire but there is some pressure; your characterization of the past 30 years of UT basketball is a tad misleading.

I wasn't aware conference titles and SECT titles were the only criteria.

I wouldn't call it a high pressure hire but there is some pressure; your characterization of the past 30 years of UT basketball is a tad misleading.

Every school in the Sec (not named Kentucky) should be happy getting to the tourney more often than not. More than that isn't realistic, IMO.

Florida was just lucky enough to (A) hit the coaching lottery and (B) have him stick around.

Once Billy is gone, the program will head south in a big way.

That'll fly.

This is why I think Barnes would be a great hire. If he puts us back into the mix with high profile recruits, manages to beat UF and UK on a semi-regular basis, has us in the conversation for SEC conference/tournament titles, and can get us in the tournament every year then he's a grand slam hire.

Tennessee peaked as a third-tier/borderline second-tier basketball program under Pearl, and is probably a fourth-tier program right now. Barnes could stabilize it and elevate it back to desirable status.

VN Store

Back