Kendrick eyeing 'huge opportunity' at tackle

kamoshika

During Kendrick's first season in 2013, the former Christian Academy of Knoxville star was one of Butch Jones's favorite targets for practice barbs, but the Tennessee coach was complimentary of Kendrick on Saturday.

"He's responded, and he's shown great resiliency," Jone said. "He's put his head down, he's continued to work and he's going to be rewarded for that. He needs to just continue to work and treat every day as if it's the most important day in working to be the best person, best player he can possibly be.

"He's done that, so I've been really, really encouraged by everything that I've seen from Brett."

Vols' Kendrick eyeing 'huge opportunity' at tackle | Local News | Times Free Press

Reactions: 6 people
I hope he does step up and do well! :crossfingers::crossfingers:

This oline will be the key to this season! JMO

Kendrick is much better suited to play tackle than Kerbyson. 6'6", 310, more athletic. A lot of people were certain they observed Kendrick performing better at tackle than any other OT we had last year. This is very good news imo

Reactions: 2 people
Kendrick is much better suited to play tackle than Kerbyson. 6'6", 310, more athletic. A lot of people were certain they observed Kendrick performing better at tackle than any other OT we had last year. This is very good news imo

Few of us see the video the coaches use or are good enough to evaluate performance as a whole from the limited info we have... BUT.... to me he looked clearly the most athletic of the OT's they played last year. He just looked quicker and better able to stick with rush ends.

Reactions: 4 people
Everyone but the coaching staff.
Butch is doing great, but the decision to start a true freshman center at RT was probably the most insane decision i've seen from this staff. Disastrous results. Brett was ahead in experience and in the weight room. And I can promise you won't be dealing with any problems from BK.

The key for Kendrick is strength and consistency. If he can translate his gains in the weight room to gains on the field, he could be a starter at either tackle. Blair will hopefully factor into the starting rotation as well.

Reactions: 1 person
I think if Kendrick nails down one of the starting tackle spots, that a very good sign for this O line. I still think we end up seeing Kerbyson at the other tackle spot (with Blair appearing to struggle).

Blair is the wild card. Is he really that much bigger, stronger and more athletic than Kendrick? I don't know. Just asking. Which of the 2 are smarter and more motivated?

Wasn't Kerbyson's true position guard? If I'm not mistaken, didn't he do better when they switched him last year? If I recall correctly, CBJ said he was playing out of position all year.

I think we should cut Blair some slack. If anything, I'd think it would be important if we have a solid back up.

I think if Kendrick nails down one of the starting tackle spots, that a very good sign for this O line. I still think we end up seeing Kerbyson at the other tackle spot (with Blair appearing to struggle).

??? I like Kendrick, but let's be fair, Blair red-shirted in '14 and they have had ONE contact practice in 2015.

As SJT said, can we not just trust our coaches and let it play out? :question:

Last edited:
Everyone but the coaching staff.
Butch is doing great, but the decision to start a true freshman center at RT was probably the most insane decision i've seen from this staff. Disastrous results. Brett was ahead in experience and in the weight room. And I can promise you won't be dealing with any problems from BK.

Well you know if the coaches felt we had better options for RT at the time, then we wouldn't of started a freshman center there. I'm sure they didn't like the idea of it one bit either, but it was their decision to make. It is what it is.

Wasn't Kerbyson's true position guard? If I'm not mistaken, didn't he do better when they switched him last year? If I recall correctly, CBJ said he was playing out of position all year.

Hence, Mike Debord will also evaluate/help OLine this year

??? I like Kendrick, but let's be fair, Blair red-shirted in '14 and they have had ONE contact practice in 2015.

As SJT said, can we not just trust our coaches and let it play out? :question:

Oh, absolutely. I completely trust this staff. Just heard/read Blair is still working with backups, second team. I would be thrilled if he won a starting job. That would be amazing news.

Spot on.

VN Store

Back