Bryce Drew

BruinVol

I put this in another thread but I think drew deserves his own thread and is a serious player for the job

From a buddy that works in the Valpo ad.

"Drew has been in contact with tenn.

Trust me you want him.

We were about as average athletically as a team could be. One of youngest teams in country- lost 4 games

He can flat out coach. Would be a great hire"

Reactions: 2 people
This whole "no mid-majors" boggles my mind. The 2 "hot" names out there, Shaka and Marshall, are both from Mid-Major schools. Unless you are taking a sitting coach from a the ACC, Big 10, Big 12 etc., they others are all pretty much "mid major" coaches.

Reactions: 2 people
No. No more mid major hires. He hasn't done enough at Valpo.

This is the typical, "Tennessee can hire anyone they want" mentality. The sooner you people come to grips with the national perception of the Tennessee job and Athletic Department as a whole, the sooner you'll lower your expectations. Archie Miller is our ceiling and Will Wade is our floor. There are A LOT of good basketball coaches in the middle. You just have to identify them and sell them on the potential of the Tennessee job.

Reactions: 5 people
This is the typical, "Tennessee can hire anyone they want" mentality. The sooner you people come to grips with the national perception of the Tennessee job and Athletic Department as a whole, the sooner you'll lower your expectations. Archie Miller is our ceiling and Will Wade is our floor. There are A LOT of good basketball coaches in the middle. You just have to identify them and sell them on the potential of the Tennessee job.

Didn't say or think we could hire anyone we want. I don't think he's done enough, period. But we could hire alot better than you think. Money talks, and Dave is gonna spend it this time.

This whole "no mid-majors" boggles my mind. The 2 "hot" names out there, Shaka and Marshall, are both from Mid-Major schools. Unless you are taking a sitting coach from a the ACC, Big 10, Big 12 etc., they others are all pretty much "mid major" coaches.

I wouldn't call VCU or Wichita a mid anymore really. Both are annual top 20 teams.. Valpo hardly ever. Not even comparable.

Didn't say or think we could hire anyone we want. I don't think he's done enough, period. But we could hire alot better than you think. Money talks, and Dave is gonna spend it this time.

I'm not saying he won't spend money. He spent it on Zo and Tyndall too. Mid-major coaches come with bigger price tags these days. Remember this when we pay $1.8 mil/yr for a Bryce Drew, Mike White, Chris Holtmann.

Rick Barnes all day. I'll take his recruiting over any of those mid major names that we have no clue how they'll recruit yet. He'll recruit well with our arena, facilities and budget.

Reactions: 1 person
Rick Barnes all day. I'll take his recruiting over any of those mid major names that we have no clue how they'll recruit yet. He'll recruit well with our arena, facilities and budget.

Barnes had a thread too if you need to discuss him

I could live with this!

I could too. I don't want Barnes, especially at the cost he would require. Although he has taken his teams to the NCAAT several times, he has recruited well enough to win that tourney. In addition, we have beaten his teams twice when he had better talent than we did. I think Byrd will win just as many games, if not more, with the same talent. Also, Barnes never won the brass ring when he coached at Clemson. Mears and Pearl won a lot more with much less talent. I think Barnes is and will be an underachiever.

He would not be at the top of my list which includes Barnes, Lavin, Crean, but he would definitely fall in the next category. I also like the idea of a Rick Byrd or Rick Stansbury, but IMO Drew would be higher than anyone else on the list (Prohm, White, Underwood, etc.) B/c at least he has 4 years as a head man, a great wining Pct. and 2 of 4 NCAA appearances. Not mention a a great coaching lineage and huge recruiting connections as his brother has proven at Baylor. I like it alot, but it just seems like a odd connection.

I would bet most of these guys had to google Pearl too.

And to weave another thread in here, that's why the Texas hire is full of way more pressure than this one. Not saying Tennessee can afford a bad hire, no school or AD, outside of a Foley type, can afford a bad hire. But if Butch continues to improve the football team, he's safe. The Strong pick isn't working out so far at Texas and a bad hire here does irrevocable damage to Texas' AD.

Basketball is just a placeholder for far too many in the Tennessee fanbase for this to break Hart. The right hire can make him a legend though.

I'll also take this moment to point out again that Serrano isn't Hart's. I even screwed that up a couple months ago.

Reactions: 1 person
Not my top choice. He took over Valpo at a good time - Butler leaving for the Big East. Last season was rough with a lot of player turnover, but when he assembled his roster, had a very good year this year. I think hes decent, but still would like to see a little more

VN Store

Back