O Line

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
I really hope they improve leaps and bounds over the summer because they still looked like the weak link of this team today. I did notice improvement in their run blocking so it isn't all bad but thank god Dobbs can scramble because the pass blocking is still miles away from where it needs to be.

Reactions: 4 people
Hopefully Drew can come in and take one of the tackle spots. If the line can just be average this season we can win the east.

Reactions: 5 people
I really hope they improve leaps and bounds over the summer because they still looked like the weak link of this team today. I did notice improvement in their run blocking so it isn't all bad but thank god Dobbs can scramble because the pass blocking is still miles away from where it needs to be.

They looked much better today. I was encouraged by Kendrick and Blair. Jack Jones had a good one on one with Butcher. We are stronger and deeper than last year. Go Vols!!

Reactions: 9 people
They looked much better today. I was encouraged by Kendrick and Blair. Jack Jones had a good one on one with Butcher. We are stronger and deeper than last year. Go Vols!!
Pass Blocking still scares me but I was encourged by what I saw in the run blocking department.

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah, I thought they showed better cohesiveness as a unit today, too. Their protection broke down a few times, so ~3-4 potential sacks (if the QB couldn't avoid) out of 30 or 40 offensive plays...still too much...but better than last year. And their run block seemed better to me than last year, as well. Saw them opening some real holes, which rarely seemed to happen last year.

Reactions: 6 people
Blair did surprise me today as well. To hear some on here he should have had his scholly revocked.

OL didn't impress me today. They played against the entire back up squad of DL and still got pushed... but it's early.

I think they will be better than last year. But it's our only group I don't yet have complete confidence in.

Reactions: 2 people
I think they will be better than last year. But it's our only group I don't yet have complete confidence in.

If this group could just be decent this team could be really good, the only weakness on the team, like in the circle of life drill did you see Tuttle do a pancake on Thomas instead of the other way, i hope Richmond is big time elite and can do the job we need him to come in and do a Barnett job like last year but on the OL instead of the DL this time, and Jones will be a elite player in time, but he needs one more year to get bigger and stronger.

Reactions: 2 people
I wasn't overly impressed with the OL yesterday, but one who stood out to me was Austin Sanders. Not necessarily for his play, but his effort and conditioning. In last year's O&W game he looked slow, out of shape, and generally lost. Yesterday, he was fired up. Won his COL matchup and came in first in the sprint competition. I am always a little biased though when it comes to players who are lifelong UT fans.

Last edited:
They have several more months to get lots better.

I believe Dobbs will push them hard to get much better since he's the CEO of our O and because his health depends on it.

I hope Big Drew is studying that playbook like a mad man though even though true freshmen seldom make a huge impact on the O line he just might be the exception, maybe.

We'll see come fall practice.

BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Hopefully Drew can come in and take one of the tackle spots. If the line can just be average this season we can win the east.

First of all, I think the Spring and Spring game have all the significance of a college football game score at halftime, basically meaningless....

Second, we're still talking about freshmen having significant roles, freshmen who aren't even here yet. I hope Kahlil and Drew can have or exceed Derek Barnett's 2014 season...

Can you see how folly that is? And if anyone points that out during the season, they'll be labeled as excuse makers.... sometimes you just have to observe and state the facts just as they are.

I've been saying to my Vol friends all offseason- just because they have more experience still doesn't mean they'll be good.

I think they'll be the weak link for sure.

I thought they looked better. Dobbs did get a little more time to me it looked like. Delaying Eric Stryker even for just one more second could mean the difference between a TD and a sack this fall.

I just hope they spend the next 133 days getting bigger...MEANER...& BETTER!

Last edited:
They will be better, but the bar is set pretty low from last year. I like what I've seen from Hall. He probably won't see the field too much this year, but he's impressed at times. I'm still not convinced about Blair, especially after watching Butcher, who should still be in high school, get a sack on him.

The Oline will be the Vol's achilles......with basically the same players as last year.....Vol's need studs on the Oline

Blair did surprise me today as well. To hear some on here he should have had his scholly revocked.
What about Austin Sanders? He impressed me a lot. Speaking of him, I work with his sisters baby's father and he got me in the family/recruiting section and I got to go to the tunnel afterwards with the family it was great

They need to continue to recruit over some of these guys. Hopefully the staff has learned from the mistakes last year and we get more TE's chipping on the DE's to help out our OT's.

We might have the best D-line in the league come July so if they can hold their own against them they will do well against anyone. The D-line guys playing today were second team but will play a lot of snaps.

VN Store

Back