Todd Kelly Jr. SHOULD start at safety this season

Dobbs 4 Heisman

Seen the spring game 3x already. I watched the defensive backs closely. Jancek did something different this game with TKJ. He had him playing as a single high safety, similar to how the Seattle Seahawks play. For those that don't know, much of the Seahawks success on defense the last 3 years has not been because of Richard Sherman or that d-line, its been Earl Thomas. His incredible range as a center fielding free safety allows Kam Chancellor to play in the box and Richard Sherman to just play the sideline. Earl Thomas' freakish speed and playmaking ability allows him to basically erase any mistakes made up the middle of the field. Seattle corners pretty much have to just defend receivers going up the sidelines. Chancellor just has to defend in the box. And Earl has the responsibility of covering the entire middle of the field by himself.

I see the same ability in TKJ. Jancek basically played a single high safety look all day in the orange and white game with Randolph in the box and Todd playing centerfield. Having an extra body in the box will make it impossible for people to run on us and having a dynamic safety with range allows us to play more man to man defense with our corners knowing we got a guy back there who can clean up any mistakes.

My dream scenario is to have Justin Martin show up this fall and be an instant stud as an outside corner. This will allow us to hopefully start Emmanuel Moseley (who has improved immensely) and Justin Martin on the outside. Cam in the nickle (which I think will help him make more big play as seen with that fumble recovery TD in the orange and white game). Randolph as a box safety helping with the run and covering tight ends. And Todd Kelly Jr. as the single high safety. With those 5 starting, I think we will rival LSU for the best defensive backfield in the nation.

Reactions: 58 people
Seen the spring game 3x already. I watched the defensive backs closely. Jancek did something different this game with TKJ. He had him playing as a single high safety, similar to how the Seattle Seahawks play. For those that don't know, much of the Seahawks success on defense the last 3 years has not been because of Richard Sherman or that d-line, its been Earl Thomas. His incredible range as a center fielding free safety allows Kam Chancellor to play in the box and Richard Sherman to just play the sideline. Earl Thomas' freakish speed and playmaking ability allows him to basically erase any mistakes made up the middle of the field. Seattle corners pretty much have to just defend receivers going up the sidelines. Chancellor just has to defend in the box. And Earl has the responsibility of covering the entire middle of the field by himself.

I see the same ability in TKJ. Jancek basically played a single high safety look all day in the orange and white game with Randolph in the box and Todd playing centerfield. Having an extra body in the box will make it impossible for people to run on us and having a dynamic safety with range allows us to play more man to man defense with our corners knowing we got a guy back there who can clean up any mistakes.

My dream scenario is to have Justin Martin show up this fall and be an instant stud as an outside corner. This will allow us to hopefully start Emmanuel Moseley (who has improved immensely) and Justin Martin on the outside. Cam in the nickle (which I think will help him make more big play as seen with that fumble recovery TD in the orange and white game). Randolph as a box safety helping with the run and covering tight ends. And Todd Kelly Jr. as the single high safety. With those 5 starting, I think we will rival LSU for the best defensive backfield in the nation.

Solid stuff right here.

Reactions: 2 people
I am all in, if K-MAC lives up to the hype, our entire D will be one of the best in the country, TKJ will start and be a Earl Thomas for us.

Reactions: 1 person

Coach Gruden is that you?

Reactions: 3 people
I'll leave it up to the coaches on who should start, scheme and positions, but it is nice to have more options than before. Evan Berry could also have a big role and McNeil can be inserted where some heavy head knocking is needed. If the staff can get Martin up to speed quickly then that should give Jancek several more options.

Wish you had an equally good solution for the offensive line.

The OL:thud: The only weakness we got, and the only thing that can keep us from winning 9 or 10 and winning the East, i know it was just a spring game but i feel pretty good about the Back up QB, THINK WE GOT A DAMN GOOD ONE THERE.

Reactions: 4 people
.....and back up QB if Dobbs gets hurt.

I hope and pray Dobbs doesn't get hurt but QD looked pretty dang good. That kid has only been on campus 4 months and looked that sharp, dang! You can tell he's a coaches kid and has a good head on his shoulders. I was resigned to the fact that Jones would need to show up ready to play but now I think I watched the backup on Saturday.

I wouldn't move Cam full time to nickel, can't argue with anything else.

Reactions: 5 people
I wouldn't move Cam full time to nickel, can't argue with anything else.

Cam is just an overall great db.
I love him at Nickel like the op. But i see where you're coming from. He takes away a whole side of the field.

I don't know, I'd have to go with the D-Line in Seattle's case. Seriously, QBs get like 2 seconds(exaggeration) to throw every time, making it 10x easier on the DBs. But they're a very disciplined defense all-around, I just like how their line has forced 81 sacks in 2 years, and countless QB hits/hurries.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Cam is just an overall great db.
I love him at Nickel like the op. But i see where you're coming from. He takes away a whole side of the field.

I think them practicing Cam at nickel is just in case some OC decides to put their best receiver in the slot like Bama and USCe did last year. If he knows the position they can just move him over to shut that guy down. I don't think the coaches have any intention of it being a full time move.

Reactions: 10 people
I think them practicing Cam at nickel is just in case some OC decides to put their best receiver in the slot like Bama and USCe did last year. If he knows the position they can just move him over to shut that guy down. I don't think the coaches have any intention of it being a full time move.

Exactly right sir. Had Cam matched up with Pharoh Cooper last year. We would have beaten them by 2tds by regulation instead of overtime.

What a difference a couple of great recruiting classes makes!

So many great players it will be tough to get them all on the field and keep everyone learning, growing and happy.

What a difference a competent, energetic and hardworking coach and staff makes.

Rock on Butch!

Reactions: 2 people

Very solid analysis, although your dream scenario depends on a JUCO coming in to start right away without the benefit of Spring practice. Hope it works out.

TKJr is gonna be a baller...but he made a bunch of mistakes last year. If he's improved and gives us best chance to win, he'll start. Regardless, he'll see plenty of pt. As for the ppl saying Dormady looked great in the spring game.....what in the hell were you watching!?? He had several terrible reads and shoulda thrown a pick. He got the long td on a well thrown pass but the coverage was blown and it was a total mismatch. He looked really good in the accuracy drill, but a live game scenario is different. Remember when he got the tight end blown up in the flat by Evan Berry....that should have gone to his second read which was a wide open cross pattern for a td. He looked lost out there...but he looks like he'll be good in a few years. I most definitely do not want to see either of the freshmen qbs play this year, outside of garbage time.

What a difference a couple of great recruiting classes makes!

So many great players it will be tough to get them all on the field and keep everyone learning, growing and happy.

What a difference a competent, energetic and hardworking coach and staff makes.

Rock on Butch!

Whether you're playing against a up-tempo spread or power run off tackle team, you need depth. We will be playing both types of these offenses all year.

Our depth is competitive to other upper echelon SEC teams now. We're still not there. But we have come quite a long way in relatively short matter of time.

We will need everybody. Expect quite a few freshman to play again this year. I imagine upwards of 15 freshman will play or letter from the 2015 class.

We have talented bodies, but they're still not seasoned the way you want. We're still young overall, but we're old enough to win some big games.

VN Store

Back