Swains thoughts on 3 P's eligibility

Volngeorgia

For those that listen to Swain, you know that (as a former player) he gets a lot of access to things in the UTAD.
He often states that he knows a lot more than he says on the radio. So, sometimes he throws out just a few tidbits and you have to read between the lines.
On Paulk, Pig, Pearson, here is what I gleaned:

Paulk - Vols must have 3 reliable RB's because of Hurds often injured - if Kelly looks good, no Paulk, if not - yes.
Pig - Internet rumors of academic problems - he has also heard this - hmmm - says Pig trying to work with several instructors to take some makeup exams.
Pearson - this was the most positive - fairly certain he will be back - case against Von very weak.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 people
Don't understand the thing about Paulk... We're thin at RB, he's a former scholarship guy, was cleared on all charges... Why not just take him back...?

Reactions: 5 people
Paulk - Vols must have 3 reliable RB's because of Hurds often injured - if Kelly looks good, no Paulk, if not - yes.

I don't believe this...his acceptance back onto the team won't be determined by whether they think he is a more viable 3rd string RB vs the incoming freshman.

Unless he keeps showing back up to UT on his own dime while hanging in limbo, then CBJ has laid out a plan to Paulk that would allow his return to the team. If not, Paulk could have moved on to a fresh start elsewhere and resumed his football career.

Makes no sense that he would pay his own way to hang around UT without any hope of rejoining the program.

Reactions: 16 people
Don't understand the thing about Paulk... We're thin at RB, he's a former scholarship guy, was cleared on all charges... Why not just take him back...?

They talked about "the national climate" right now on anything to do with domestic/sexual abuse calls for extra caution in any of these type of situations.
Said if Paulk IS reinstated that it will be done quietly and he will just show up at practice one day this fall.
Of course, Butch will have to say why he's back.
Sure that our SID/PR folks will have statement ready.

Reactions: 1 person
So he didn't actually say any of this but you inferred it.

I was very inartful in stating it.
No, he did say these things. I just gave more background.

He does think Paulk comes back unless Kelly is lights out.
He does think Pig has some work to do in classroom.
He does expect Pearson to be back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

I think the charges were dropped because the person did not press charges however fairly certain he did punch a female in the mouth if I remember the story correctly, it was a while back. So just because he did not get in trouble with the law he still punched a female in the mouth.

Reactions: 5 people
I was very inartful in stating it.
No, he did say these things. I just gave more background.

He does think Paulk comes back unless Kelly is lights out.
He does think Pig has some work to do in classroom.
He does expect Pearson to be back.

Thanks for the info .... listen to Swain every morning but I missed this because he said it before I got in the car. Can't believe Pig has put himself I this spot again...ugh.

You ought to know what you're dealing with when OP sneaks in this false premise to be swallowed hook, line, and sinker.

False premise?
Hurd had major injuries in his senior year of h.s. and freshman year with Vols and in spring (mainly because we had no depth and he had to carry you much).

Reactions: 2 people
False premise?
Hurd had major injuries in his senior year of h.s. and freshman year with Vols and in spring (mainly because we had no depth and he had to carry you much).

Hurd's already dealt with 3 injuries since committing to Tennessee 2 years ago .... shoulder his senior year at Beech, concussion that led to him being pulled out of Vandy game and then shoulder injury that led to him being held out of contact this Spring. I agree with you that he's been injury prone to this point.

I think the charges were dropped because the person did not press charges however fairly certain he did punch a female in the mouth if I remember the story correctly, it was a while back. So just because he did not get in trouble with the law he still punched a female in the mouth.

joe mixon broke a girls face with a punch on video camera and basically just got a redshirt yr bc of it lol. unreal.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't believe this...his acceptance back onto the team won't be determined by whether they think he is a more viable 3rd string RB vs the incoming freshman.

Unless he keeps showing back up to UT on his own dime while hanging in limbo, then CBJ has laid out a plan to Paulk that would allow his return to the team. If not, Paulk could have moved on to a fresh start elsewhere and resumed his football career.

Makes no sense that he would pay his own way to hang around UT without any hope of rejoining the program.

Paulk has not been doing anything "on his own dime." He was dismissed from the team, but not from school, so the athletic scholarship he signed was still valid for the entire school year. He is still on scholarship and will be until the end of this semester.

If he wants to stay at that point, he will have to pay his own way. There is a scholarship available, we're at 84 if everyone qualifies, but I have heard nothing along the line of him being allowed to return.

As I said in another thread, this whole "he was cleared of charges" thing is BS. He was "cleared" because the victim did not press charges. That does not change the fact that he punched his then girlfriend in the face and had to be pulled off of her after striking her again and and again in front of a group of 20 people, most of whom are current student-athletes. They all gave statements to UT officials.

That's why Butch didn't wait for things to "play out" in this situation. He had no interest in whether Paulk was charged, he knew what happened from eyewitnesses.

The standard for playing football at Tennessee is higher than the legal system's standard, as it should be. It is a privilege, not a right.

Reactions: 36 people
Paulk has not been doing anything "on his own dime." He was dismissed from the team, but not from school, so the athletic scholarship he signed was still valid for the entire school year. He is still on scholarship and will be until the end of this semester.

If he wants to stay at that point, he will have to pay his own way. There is a scholarship available, we're at 84 if everyone qualifies, but I have heard nothing along the line of him being allowed to return.

As I said in another thread, this whole "he was cleared of charges" thing is BS. He was "cleared" because the victim did not press charges. That does not change the fact that he punched his then girlfriend in the face and had to be pulled off of her after striking her again and and again in front of a group of 20 people, most of whom are current student-athletes. They all gave statements to UT officials.

That's why Butch didn't wait for things to "play out" in this situation. He had no interest in whether Paulk was charged, he knew what happened from eyewitnesses.

The standard for playing football at Tennessee is higher than the legal system's standard, as it should be. It is a privilege, not a right.

RB position need something though whether its Him or somebody else. Razor thin.

joe mixon broke a girls face with a punch on video camera and basically just got a redshirt yr bc of it lol. unreal.

Mixon is a 5 star Paulk is a 3 star. If Paulk was an elite back not coming off a knee injury would he already be back on the team?

Mixon is a 5 star Paulk is a 3 star. If Paulk was an elite back not coming off a knee injury would he already be back on the team?

not sure his stars have anything to do with it. He is a really good back though. plus he was a 4 star on ESPN. He is almost two yrs off the knee injury. But to answer your question i dont really know. we def need 1-2 more backs for this season.

i thought that Paulk was part of the reason we got Quart'e Sapp

not sure his stars have anything to do with it. He is a really good back though. plus he was a 4 star on ESPN. He is almost two yrs off the knee injury. But to answer your question i dont really know. we def need 1-2 more backs for this season.

i thought that Paulk was part of the reason we got Quart'e Sapp

Yes we are hurting at RB. Even if Hurd and Kamara can stay healthy we need someone to take the garbage carries. Bruce still says he's a RB so we would have Kelly and Bruce as long as they can learn the offense. Personally I really wanted to see what Evan Berry could do in the backfield until he really turned it up on defense.

I honestly doubt it.

"Family atmosphere" is something Butch preaches and he knows that if he brought back a guy that obviously did something heinous it would be a huge negative recruiting tool people would use against him.

Wouldn't be worth the problems, even if Paulk was a 5*.

Yes we are hurting at RB. Even if Hurd and Kamara can stay healthy we need someone to take the garbage carries. Bruce still says he's a RB so we would have Kelly and Bruce as long as they can learn the offense. Personally I really wanted to see what Evan Berry could do in the backfield until he really turned it up on defense.

RDA is a change of pace guy who we will use as well. But yeh it will be interesting to see what happens over the summer. But i think jones knows it is a disaster if we go into the season with our current RB situation.

RB position need something though whether its Him or somebody else. Razor thin.

So, let me get this straight. You would rather have a person that is known to punch a woman repeatedly in the face in front of a group of people play for your team than be a little short at a position? Are you serious?

Reactions: 8 people
Hubbs mentioned the words "he said, she said" in discussing the Pearson situation on 104.5 yesterday.

For those that listen to Swain, you know that (as a former player) he gets a lot of access to things in the UTAD.
He often states that he knows a lot more than he says on the radio. So, sometimes he throws out just a few tidbits and you have to read between the lines.
On Paulk, Pig, Pearson, here is what I gleaned:

Pig - Internet rumors of academic problems - he has also heard this - hmmm - says Pig trying to work with several instructors to take some makeup exams.
Pearson - this was the most positive - fairly certain he will be back - case against Von very weak.

Saw Pig this morning in Haslam, so at least we know he's trying.

Reactions: 7 people

VN Store

Back