Bill Nowling, Rudy Klarer, Willis Tucker, and Clyde Fuson

StarRaider

Register & Vote for me
Tennessee Volunteers Bill Nowling, Rudy Klarer, Willis Tucker and Clyde Fuson lost their lives fighting for America in World War II.

No. 32 was worn by Bill Nowling (Aug. 8, 1920 -- Aug. 9, 1944), a fullback 1940-42, from St. Petersburg, Fla., a three-year starter under Robert Neyland and John Barnhill.

No. 49 was worn by Rudy Klarer (March 9, 1923 -- Jan. 6, 1945), a reserve guard in 1941 and starter in 1942, from Louisville, Ky.

No. 61 was worn by Willis Tucker (May 10, 1918 -- Nov. 28, 1944), a graduate of Knoxville High School, who earned a Vol football letter in 1940 and was a sprint star on the Vol track team.

No. 62 was worn by Clyde (Ig) Fuson (May 11, 1923 -- Dec. 4, 1944), a native of Middlesboro, Ky., and fullback on the 1942 team, who shared playing time with Nowling. Ig had a younger brother, Herschel (Ug) Fuson, who was a freshman on the 1942 team and transferred to West Point where he graduated.

Reactions: 22 people
I'd be okay with awarding 32, 49, 61, and/or 62 occasionally to a high character guy for possible non-football reasons. Maybe a senior with a 4.0 or a veteran that is playing football after completing a stint in the service and not simply because they are a highly sought after recruit that wore those numbers in high school.

Reactions: 3 people
I need to research Clyde Fusion, I'm from the same place, and I'm kin to a lot of Fuson's.

16, 45, 91, & 92 should occasionally be assigned to players for on field accomplishments. Those numbers shouldn't be permanently retired. They are not at all close to the same importance as 32, 49, 61, and 62. It's a shame that 32/49/61/62 are displayed less prominently than 16/45/91/92 are in Neyland Stadium.

Reactions: 1 person
That should be THE standard for retired numbers.
Giving your ALL in the truest form.

I like the numbers retirement idea. I am a veteran and I had two people come to me to thank me for my service. All relatives I might add. I couldn't resist giving them a lesson on military observances. Today was a day set aside to remember those who gave the supreme sacrifice. Armed Forces Day is to recognize those men and women who currently serve. Veterans Day is for those who have served in their country's military.
My sympathies go out to all the families left behind who don't "celebrate" today as a Holiday.

Reactions: 4 people
I like the numbers retirement idea. I am a veteran and I had two people come to me to thank me for my service. All relatives I might add. I couldn't resist giving them a lesson on military observances. Today was a day set aside to remember those who gave the supreme sacrifice. Armed Forces Day is to recognize those men and women who currently serve. Veterans Day is for those who have served in their country's military.
My sympathies go out to all the families left behind who don't "celebrate" today as a Holiday.

Thank you!

Does anyone know exactly where each of these men were and how they actually gave their lives for us? I love history and I'm curious.

Thank you for your Service Sir! :hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Does anyone know exactly where each of these men were and how they actually gave their lives for us? I love history and I'm curious.

https://etvma.org/veterans/willis-n-tucker-8308/

Here's a link with info about each of the players and where they served and were killed during the war. It goes in to more detail about Willis Tucker and his son who was only 2 years old when his father was KIA. He was adopted by his stepdad and didn't know about Willis until he was a grown man. Very sad story, God Bless these men for their sacrifices!

God bless the Vols, God bless those four Vols in particular, and God bless the USA!

Don't retire those four jersey numbers...do make a big deal every year about assigning them...be sure the players wearing those numbers know the stories they represent and are ready to carry the legacy forward in word and deed.

Go Vols, go Murica!

Thanks, OP. :salute:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back