247 Sports top 5 SEC RBs for 2015

skasper06

The article ranks 247s top running backs in the SEC, but also has a poll at the end for which one will be the best. Chubb leads right now, but Hurd is in second. Go Vote!

Number 5. Jalen Hurd, Tennessee

2014 statistics: 899 yards rushing, 4.7 yards per carry, five touchdowns; 35 catches for 221 yards and two receiving touchdowns

There were several others considered for the No. 5 spot (Missouri’s Russell Hansbrough, Arkansas’ Alex Collins, Alabama’s Kenyon Drake and a few others), but we gave the nod to Hurd. He had a very nice year as a true freshman despite battling through some nagging injuries, and he should be much improved this season. He is a big back who doesn’t shy away from contact, but he also has some wiggle to him. He was the team’s leading rusher and was third on the team in receptions. With Alvin Kamara joining the team, it should help keep Hurd fresh after a year where he got little help in the backfield. Improved offensive line play and a full season with Josh Dobbs at quarterback should help as well.

Two to watch: Jovon Robinson, Auburn; Alvin Kamara, Tennessee
The top two junior college prospects according to the 247Sports Composite just happen to be SEC running backs. The two could work their way into this top five. There are a lot of good running back tandems in the league, and Kamara should team with Hurd to give the Vols a “Thunder and Lightning” one-two punch.

I think this list is fairly accurate. But I also think it will change by seasons end.

Best SEC running backs in 2015 Nick Chubb, Leonard Fournette

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Good read. The SEC is loaded at RB this year, and the JUCOs might be the best of the group by year's end. JoVon Robinson is the real deal according to everything I'm reading.

Say what they want.. Hurd ran behind a line that was as wet behind the ears as him.
A year of weights as growing will pay big dividends.

Reactions: 2 people
Say what they want.. Hurd ran behind a line that was as wet behind the ears as him.
A year of weights as growing will pay big dividends.

This. With a better line, less injuries and Dobbs under center, he probably would have had Chubbs'stats.Or better?

I believe AK is gonna be good, but I honestly believe that competition will make Hurd even better, and that'll be bad news for the rest of the sec.

Reactions: 3 people
I believe AK is gonna be good, but I honestly believe that competition will make Hurd even better, and that'll be bad news for the rest of the sec.

Good point! Sometimes it's the mental aspect also. Hurd took on a lot real early and probably pressed too much because he knew the dropoff from him was significant. A beast runningback should be able to relax and BRING IT without having to save some for the end of the game.

I hope this year that Tennessee does to Chubb what Tennessee did to Bo in 1985. Stop. Stop. Stop.:)

Reactions: 3 people
Chubb had the advantage of having a good O-line, which makes the comparisons to Hurd's numbers seem almost unfair.

Last year, Tennessee had the most inexperienced lines on both sides of the ball in the NCAA. Is there a team/s out there this year in a similar situation? Just curious.

Last year, Tennessee had the most inexperienced lines on both sides of the ball in the NCAA. Is there a team/s out there this year in a similar situation? Just curious.

Many believe that Florida's line will struggle mightily this year. Not sure how much/little experience they actually have though.

Edit: only return 1 starter, which is obviously one more than we did last year. Here's to hoping their line in 2015 is as bad as ours was in 2014....although thats nearly impossible to even fathom.

Last edited:
PROVIDING Hurd stays healthy his career i think he will be the #2 back in the SEC behind Chubb. Ubfortunately for his stats, a so so line mixed with Kamara and Dobbs isn't going to get him any all sec any time soon.

Many believe that Florida's line will struggle mightily this year. Not sure how much/little experience they actually have though.

Edit: only return 1 starter, which is obviously one more than we did last year. Here's to hoping their line in 2015 is as bad as ours was in 2014....although thats nearly impossible to even fathom.
To follow a team this year that was in a similar situation as we were last would be interesting. Just to see how they fare and for a basic comparison.
Is Florida it, then? I've tried to do some searches, the only other team I came up with is Auburn. But the article said they have 3 returning, so I don't believe Auburn would be a good comparison.

:hi:I think Hurd ends up number 1 if he has passed his health issues.:rock:

To follow a team this year that was in a similar situation as we were last would be interesting. Just to see how they fare and for a basic comparison.
Is Florida it, then? I've tried to do some searches, the only other team I came up with is Auburn. But the article said they have 3 returning, so I don't believe Auburn would be a good comparison.

2015 Returning Starters #1-128

According to this, Toledo and Boston College have 0 returning OL. Florida St., Washington, Florida, and a few others each have 1.

Georgia and Stanford, as well as several others, have 0 DL returning.

2015 Returning Starters By Conference (Power 5)

2015 Returning Starters By Conference (Non-Power 5)

I hope this year that Tennessee does to Chubb what Tennessee did to Bo in 1985. Stop. Stop. Stop.:)

Will never forget being at that game with SI there to do a spread on Bo and Bo getting pummeled and then coming out of the game and standing on the sidelines while Tony Robinson absolutely lit up the #1 ranked Tigers...Of course, when the magazine came out Tony was on the cover.....One of the great memories of UT football....

VN Store

Back