CFB Matrix - Vols #7!!

Snakebrown13

CFB Matrix has Vols ranked 7th!

for any who don't know, Dave Bartoo is a stats guy, who has developed a prediction system based on 3 factors: team talent, home field advantage, and coach effect. Using his formula, he picks all the games for the whole year before week one. His goal is to beat Vegas on the year. He lost by 7 games last year, out of all NCAA football games played. Pretty impressive IMO, since Vegas adjust weekly... he nailed the Vols for 1014, predicting 6.5 wins. this year, he has Vols predicted at 9.5 wins.

You can download the CFB Matrix SEC Preview free HERE

Hope he's right again :good!:

Reactions: 18 people
He's a sunshine pumper. He didn't take into account that DeBord is old and out of touch, and CBJ can't beat the best of the best of the best.

Reactions: 9 people
More numbers just thrown out there.. any number can be used to say whatever you want it to say.

Hopefully it's right. We'll see.

Apparently Iowa was just a really really really good football team

No. We just happen to be returning more starters than almost every team in the SEC. We have recruited at an elite level for 2 years. And we play in a relatively weak division. I don't know why people are so afraid to embrace expectations. This is a talented football team that should beat almost everyone on their schedule. Now should isn't the same as will but for the first time in about a decade, Tennessee will not be going into the fall at a talent disadvantage.

Reactions: 10 people
I predict 9 wins with a minimum of 8. Could be up to 10 after the Bowl Game. You have Dobbs improving, Hurd now has legitimate help in Kamara, the Receivers have all gotten more experience and the Defense will be lights out and way quicker than the ones have been lately. Not to mention that O Line will be way better since it isn't just a bunch of Freshmen anymore.

Call me a sunshine pumper all you want but there is no reason why this team can't be in the running for the SEC East title. South Carolina is weak and Spurrier is losing his damn mind after losing back to back to Tennessee. Florida is in shambles and the only real challenge is Georgia. Chubb is a beast but other than him there isn't much to talk of especially at their QB. No one knows what Missouri will be like. They always hang around.

The only 2 teams that worry me are Oklahoma and Bama. If we were to beat Oklahoma in Knoxville I think the teams in the SEC East would crap their pants.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, I got all Forced up and talked to Yoda the other night. He said the East will we win.

Ok I can understand maybe top 20 but top 10? That's seriously stupid

9-3 is a pretty much a lock for at least 10th.

Ole Miss was 9-3 ranked 10th going into the bowls.

10-2 gets you 7th at the lowest. Miss. St. was ranked 7th going into bowl season at 10-2 and that was with last year being heavy with 1 loss teams and an undefeated Florida St. team.

I don't think it's stupid to suggest Tennessee goes at least 9-3.

Reactions: 2 people
I like the way this guy is thinking! 9-3 or 10-2 regular season ... trip to SEC Championship? At 10-2, it's likely, at 9-3 still maybe ... win that game vs Auburn or LSU? Opens the door to the playoff ... beat a Clemson, TCU, or Stanford in round one? Anything's possible with this talented bunch, esp. at the end of another year's experience together ... then knock down Ohio State and reclaim the NC? Unlikely, but certainly not unthinkable ... lose that game to Ohio State and end up 11-4 or 12-3, ranked #7? Also possible.

Another path to get there: 10-2 regular season but miss SEC CG to an 11-1 Georgia ... beat Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl ... end up 11-2 and ranked #7 that way? Also possible.

In 2014, only 9 teams ended the year with 2 or fewer losses. Two of them (Boise St and Marshall) weren't really top 10 material. So 7 teams to sit atop the polls. If the Vols go 10-2 regular season and win a bowl for 11-2, we should absolutely expect to be top 10 in the final poll of the year.

Sure, I could see us getting there. It may not be the most likely outcome for the season, but it could absolutely play out either of those ways. Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I hope they're right, but theyre one of the worst when it comes to preseason predictions

VN Store

Back