RTI: Joshua Dobbs will be the best QB on the field....

KBVol

...in every game we play this year according to RockyTopInsider....

http://www.rockytopinsider.com/2015/05/27/vols-should-have-the-best-qb-on-the-field-in-2015/

"Much has been written about Joshua Dobbs – who’s headed into the season as the clear No. 1 quarterback for the Vols – and rightfully so. For the first time in Butch Jones’ tenure, Jones has “his guy” quarterback for an entire offseason. And for the first time in Joshua Dobbs’ career, he’s not chasing an upperclassman for playing time.

He’s the elder statesman at quarterback for Tennessee and, if spring practice is any indication, he’s in line for a massive year.

That’s saying something considering his considerable production last season. He set Tennessee’s single-game rushing record for a QB, led the Vols to one of the most dramatic victories in school history and recorded the fourth most production from a Vol in the history of the program…all in his first start.

The Vols closed the season with a 4-1 record with Dobbs at the helm thanks to his individual heroics and his ability to make his teammates better.

Tennessee simply wouldn’t be appearing on multiple preseason Top-25s without Joshua Dobbs’ play to close the season."

Reactions: 10 people
Not at all a knock against Worley, but if he were our starting QB headed into the season, the hype meter for this season would be way down.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch has stocked the cupboard with his recruits and it's time to produce. Depth issues should be resolved with the '16 class . For those reasons eight wins this season and ten next season would be respectable(to me)realistically speaking. We have many reasons to be excited about 0ur program.

I like Dobbs. But in my humble opinion, the best thing Dobbs did last year was open things up for Hurd.

He made the OL look better and made PA a real threat. But he still isn't the passer Worley was.

I believe that the loss of Dobbs would have more negative impact on the season but that Hurd gives UT an edge that can lift them to a new level.

Reactions: 1 person
considering he doesn't play defense i would certainly hope he is the best QB on the field during the game.

I like Dobbs...But he still isn't the passer Worley was.

I agree with you about Hurd's importance, SJT, but I think maybe Dobbs is going to be every bit the passer Worley was. We'll have to see him under game conditions, but his downfield passes through the 15 spring practices looked really, really nice. I saw night & day improvement over last fall, and think he's gonna be really hot in the pocket this year, as long as the OLine gives him time. :good!:

I like Dobbs. But in my humble opinion, the best thing Dobbs did last year was open things up for Hurd.

He made the OL look better and made PA a real threat. But he still isn't the passer Worley was.

I believe that the loss of Dobbs would have more negative impact on the season but that Hurd gives UT an edge that can lift them to a new level.

While I certainly agree that Dobbs helped Hurd be more effective and efficient once he became the QB last year, it wasn't a dramatic difference....4.4 yards per carry vs 5.2....definitely an improvement, just not a huge difference. On the other hand, while I would generally agree that Worley was a better passer than Dobbs, the stats don't back up either of us....Josh completed a higher percentage (both in 2013 & 2014), averaged more yards per completion and finished with a higher passer rating. And he did so with no Josh Smith at all, a gimpy Von Pearson until the bowl game and essentially no Marquez North beyond the Alabama game....he also didn't get the benefit of playing vs USU, ASU and UTChatt.

I don't get it, I keep seeing people saddle up that dead horse and attempt to ride it. Dobbs throws a prettier, more catchable, deep ball than Worley could dream about throwing.

So let me get this right. Basically, we gon whip errbodys azz, right? It hasn't been this sweet to be a Vols fan in so long. The long years of turmoil and butt whippings from our rivals are going to make this season so much sweeter.

While I certainly agree that Dobbs helped Hurd be more effective and efficient once he became the QB last year, it wasn't a dramatic difference....4.4 yards per carry vs 5.2....definitely an improvement, just not a huge difference. On the other hand, while I would generally agree that Worley was a better passer than Dobbs, the stats don't back up either of us....Josh completed a higher percentage (both in 2013 & 2014), averaged more yards per completion and finished with a higher passer rating. And he did so with no Josh Smith at all, a gimpy Von Pearson until the bowl game and essentially no Marquez North beyond the Alabama game....he also didn't get the benefit of playing vs USU, ASU and UTChatt.

The most dramatic difference in effectiveness, even factoring caliber of opposition into the equation, can be found in the following stat: “The run game also picked up with Dobbs at the helm, averaging 208.5 yards per game in six contests, compared to 96.4 when he didn’t play.” We drastically reduced sacks with Josh as starter, picked up his ca. 80 ypg rushing and interjected our version of the triple option on occasion, i.e. give the ball to Hurd, fake and hand off on the jet sweep to Pig or Pearson, or have Dobbs keep the ball.

I don't get it, I keep seeing people saddle up that dead horse and attempt to ride it. Dobbs throws a prettier, more catchable, deep ball than Worley could dream about throwing.

Adding to that, Worley is gone. Gotta move on.

VN Store

Back