SIAP Interesting read on former coach

I still find it odd that such a scandal happened at a school like USM. How far could you possibly go (in terms of basketball success) with cheating there? The most reasonable end to these means IMO is a better job based on fallacious coaching tactics. If that is the case, Tyndall seems like a grade-A slime ball. Not saying that is definitely the case, but why else would he risk so much at a school like USM?

shouldnt have cheated if your a great coach you can win no matter what

You can probably add lying to your boss, but I liked Donnie. He really felt like a grinder, but if he stayed it may have took longer to turn the program back around because of recruiting.

Where as CRB who I think has a plan and can recruit with the best of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I still find it odd that such a scandal happened at a school like USM. How far could you possibly go (in terms of basketball success) with cheating there? The most reasonable end to these means IMO is a better job based on fallacious coaching tactics. If that is the case, Tyndall seems like a grade-A slime ball. Not saying that is definitely the case, but why else would he risk so much at a school like USM?

For the same reason there is cheating going on at 5 year old T-ball games.....a cheater is a cheater. Show me a cheater in sports and I'll show you a cheater in just about all other areas of life.

Reactions: 2 people
For the same reason there is cheating going on at 5 year old T-ball games.....a cheater is a cheater. Show me a cheater in sports and I'll show you a cheater in just about all other areas of life.

You have just indicted about 95% of all coaches in all facets of their lives.

Reactions: 4 people
Now that he is not our coach, if feel okay asking this: why did it always appear he was wearing his big brother's suit? Aren't there good tailors in town?

95% of all coaches don't cheat.

95% of coaches who win at a high level, like DI and professional, do cheat and at the very least bend rules as far as they will go or take advantage of loopholes in rules.

This isn't just in sports. Billion dollar companies and most highly successful people do. You take every advantage necessary to insure not that you win, but that you beat your opposition. Not because of records or lack of integrity, or any kind of morality crap, but because it is how you feed your family at that point.

T.S. Elliot said it best

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.

That applies to life in general. The best versions of ourselves use the bad parts and the good parts together.

This is sad about Donnie, but just wanna share a story from today. I went to UK hospital today to have a cardiac stress test, the doctor asked if I played any sports, I said basketball and football, but that basketball was my life, she then asked my after school plans, where I said I hoped to attend ut, she said her and her husband had the opportunity to golf with coach Barnes and that he was the nicest man you could meet. She also said this "he's 10x the coach that last guy was."

This is sad about Donnie, but just wanna share a story from today. I went to UK hospital today to have a cardiac stress test, the doctor asked if I played any sports, I said basketball and football, but that basketball was my life, she then asked my after school plans, where I said I hoped to attend ut, she said her and her husband had the opportunity to golf with coach Barnes and that he was the nicest man you could meet. She also said this "he's 10x the coach that last guy was."

Well duh

nb4 cool story bro.

btw, cool story bro. Doh

Last edited:

That's pretty easy to answer. The basketball history at Southern Miss is not all that great, and it is a difficult place to recruit to. It is a program that relies on regional kids, and Mississippi doesn't offer the greatest education. So, you take Jucos and take chances on kids who don't have great academic records. It is a prime place for such a "scandal" to take place. It is also a place where winning is required to maximize support and revenue from fans. Some big schools have built in fan bases regardless if the team is great or mediocre. Not necessarily at a place like Southern Miss.

The thing is (and Gary Parish will say this) that what was done at Southern Miss is done at many other places; they just got caught and did it in a way to get caught.

Last edited:
95% of coaches who win at a high level, like DI and professional, do cheat and at the very least bend rules as far as they will go or take advantage of loopholes in rules.

This isn't just in sports. Billion dollar companies and most highly successful people do. You take every advantage necessary to insure not that you win, but that you beat your opposition. Not because of records or lack of integrity, or any kind of morality crap, but because it is how you feed your family at that point.

T.S. Elliot said it best

That applies to life in general. The best versions of ourselves use the bad parts and the good parts together.

Bill Belichick approves of this message.

shouldnt have cheated if your a great coach you can win no matter what

If you think that all good coaches play by the rules then you have lost it. That's why they are good. They can find ways to beat the system without getting caught. CDT was a good coach IMO. He won more games than he should with what he had and put us in position to win more. I honestly hate it for him. I always raced dirt track and if you wouldn't "bending the rules" you was left behind. Its sad but its like that in most sports today

Sad read.

Wish the man had survived the issues. The program would have been better if he had come out of it clean.

Reactions: 2 people
It's hard for me to feel sorry for Tyndall considering he brought all of this upon him self. He will eventually bounce back though. If he's truly looking to get right back into coaching ASAP, I'm sure he could land a position on the staff of some NBA team, or a team overseas.

As far as being a head coach in college goes, one day he will eventually get another shot. It will be at a smaller program I'd imagine, but still D1 nonetheless. He hasn't won enough to land an Auburn type of job like Pearl did though. Coaching opportunities will present themselves for Tyndall once all the smoke clears and he pays his dues when it comes to penalties.

I'm not convinced he will be given a show cause penalty by the NCAA. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get off relatively scot free. If that's the case, we may see him sue UT for wrongful termination, or anything else a lawyer gets in his head.

At the end of the day, even without a job and steady income, Tyndall is still living better than most, and surely has a very comfortable lifestyle. He has made good money over the years, then made great money the one year he was at UT. If he didn't blow and waste all of his money, then he should be good to go until he finds another job.

VN Store

Back