Albert Haynesworth "letter to me."

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I respect his honesty. I respect that he's comfortable with where he is in life and can say he's found happiness.

How can you hate a man that is doing the Gator Chomp in The Swamp after beating Florida?
Haynesworth-Getty-2.jpg

VFL.

Reactions: 24 people
Thanks for posting this. I agree, it helps us like Al a little better after those dark days in the NFL.

Wow he blames his stock broker for not buying him enough insurance. Sorry dude but your broker didn't drive your Ferrari 100 mph into an innocent guy

Btw he settled with his broker for $390k

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Good find, OP. I found this to be very interesting. And I like that it gives some context to what we all think we already know about Albert.

I respect his honesty. I respect that he's comfortable with where he is in life and can say he's found happiness.

How can you hate a man that is doing the Gator Chomp in The Swamp after beating Florida?
Haynesworth-Getty-2.jpg

VFL.

Happiness equals getting Brittany Jackson pregnant...especially the GETTING part. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 4 people
Al picked a smart way to make a dozen or so valuable points. By writing to his younger self, he gets the chance to speak to all young athletes out there without seeming like he's lecturing. Smart approach.

Where he explains his mindset just before key mistakes like stomping Gurode's head, I don't read it as him absolving himself of responsibility, only explaining why he made the dumb decisions he made--showing that there are trigger events to watch out for, while still owning that they were wrong, dumb decisions. His decisions. He didn't shy away from that. Good on him.

In the end, it was a nuanced look back over his life. A few times he made the point that a single action or attribute or attitude could paradoxically be both very good and very bad for him. His bottom line message seemed to be, "keep your eyes open for what each decision or action means; the big ones are usually complicated, with two sides; there are no clean or easy answers in life."

I liked it, and respect him for having the insight to figure it all out, and guts to share for the benefit of others.

Reactions: 15 people
I found this extremely interesting. A window into the mind of a player and his surrounding world. Also the warning of big $$$ and how 'friends' want what you have when it is a lot. Guess I will visit Burger FI next K- town visit.

Reactions: 1 person
Letter to My Younger Self | The Players' Tribune

I found this very eye opening, I loved al when he played for the vols but his nfl time tarnished the love I had for him as a child, this article restored some of it. It's interesting from his perspective.

It wasnt stomping the head that got me, it was when he got the 100 million dollar deal with the Skins, he just quit didnt try anymore quit on his team and teammates thats what turned me against him, the head stomping came in heat of the moment, but you just dont quit on your team and teammates, you just dont do that.

Reactions: 6 people
I found this extremely interesting. A window into the mind of a player and his surrounding world. Also the warning of big $$$ and how 'friends' want what you have when it is a lot. Guess I will visit Burger FI next K- town visit.

You should go to Gus' and get a smoked cheddar and roast beef on dark instead

It wasnt stomping the head that got me, it was when he got the 100 million dollar deal with the Skins, he just quit didnt try anymore quit on his team and teammates thats what turned me against him, the head stomping came in heat of the moment, but you just dont quit on your team and teammates, you just dont do that.

I think he addressed that pretty well. Imagine you were really smart and loved accounting and were one of the best. Someone comes and offers to double your salary to come work for them as an accountant but when you show up for your first day they tell you that really all they want you to do is answer the telephone in accounting for 8 hours a day. They'll still pay you that huge salary, but they want you to give 110% answering that telephone.

That's basically what Big Al faced, there are no highlight reels of the nose tackle, no big sacks or gaudy stats. Yes he made a ton of money and yes he should not have quit on his team. But Snyder did him wrong bringing in a 4-3 lineman and a 3-4 coach.

I think he addressed that pretty well. Imagine you were really smart and loved accounting and were one of the best. Someone comes and offers to double your salary to come work for them as an accountant but when you show up for your first day they tell you that really all they want you to do is answer the telephone in accounting for 8 hours a day. They'll still pay you that huge salary, but they want you to give 110% answering that telephone.

That's basically what Big Al faced, there are no highlight reels of the nose tackle, no big sacks or gaudy stats. Yes he made a ton of money and yes he should not have quit on his team. But Snyder did him wrong bringing in a 4-3 lineman and a 3-4 coach.

Maybe his Agent shouldn't have let him sign. Maybe Haynesworth should've realized what type of D the Skins played prior to signing the deal. Remember it's his signature on the paperwork.

Reactions: 3 people
Did Schwartz even offer Haynesworth a contract? Because Schwartz was HC at Detroit when he signed with the Skins.

I thought the article was one excuse after another. IMO, his older self hasn't learned anything worthy of teaching his younger self.

I think he made some bad decisions. Also reading this he said they were dumb decisions. Seems he had to have learned something. Not all of them, but I think some of them are just explanations. The way it is written, to himself, it's telling himself how he will view things but those views and decisions still end up being wrong.

great article! Good read, Man, we had some defensive lineman back then, but know what, we are getting that kind of talent again! It's coming folks, better get ready An Orange Storm is about to be unleashed! Go Vols!

VN Store

Back