At least we're not penn state

ConMan

I'm about to play penn state on ncaaa14 and just thought to myself wow what a decline of a once proud program. I remember fearing them when we would draw them in a bowl game.

Reactions: 3 people
Penn State is the only Big 10 school I could ever pull for..I dont know if it was the horrible scandal or just the decline of a old coach and his ways.Maybe both? They were sure a physical bunch in their days

Reactions: 2 people
The few bowls we played against them in the 90s where they showed us what true smashmouth football was is what prompted this thread. I've been a member of the site since 06 and rarely start threads or post much. I read frequently but lately there's been a lot of talk about our down decade so I just wanted to remind us fans it could be worse.... we could think that a coach from vandy is gonna be our savior

Reactions: 4 people
A little confused about your point. If you're saying we're better off because we haven't had a major, horrific scandal like the Sandusky deal or because we don't now have a major d!ck like Franklin as our headcoach then I'm with you.

However, if you're talking only football games results/record.... we've been actually much worse off than them since the beginning of our "downfall" in 2008...

Penn State: 60-29 record, no losing seasons, 5 bowl game appearances (would've been 7 but were ineligible due to NCAA sanctions)

Tennessee: 40-47, 5 losing seasons, 3 bowl games

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I'm about to play penn state on ncaaa14 and just thought to myself wow what a decline of a once proud program. I remember fearing them when we would draw them in a bowl game.

Penn State should win 9+, maybe 10 games this season.

A little confused about your point. If you're saying we're better off because we haven't had a major, horrific scandal like the Sandusky deal or because we don't now have a major d!ck like Franklin as our headcoach then I'm with you.

However, if you're talking only football games results/record.... we've been actually much worse off than them since the beginning of our "downfall" in 2008...

Penn State: 53-23 record, no losing seasons, 5 bowl game appearances (would've been 7 but were ineligible due to NCAA sanctions)

Yeah I was talking more about the scandal and having their equivalent of the General being dishonored and stripped of wins

Reactions: 1 person

Penn State: 60-29 record, no losing seasons, 5 bowl game appearances (would've been 7 but were ineligible due to NCAA sanctions)

My God, that's depressing.

The few bowls we played against them in the 90s where they showed us what true smashmouth football was is what prompted this thread. I've been a member of the site since 06 and rarely start threads or post much. I read frequently but lately there's been a lot of talk about our down decade so I just wanted to remind us fans it could be worse.... we could think that a coach from vandy is gonna be our savior
In the 93 Citrus Bowl they were just dominating. In the 91 Fiesta Bowl we were actually leading them 17-7 when the bottom fell out. I don't remember if it was turnovers or what, but they scored 35 points in like 10 minutes. Best I remember we actually beat them in total yards and TOP.

Penn State has played in a much weaker conference and played much weaker non-conference schedules during that time. While there is no denying the fall of our once proud program, it would not have been near as bad if the SEC had been on scale of the Big Ten and Acc over the past 7-8 yrs. Add to it, Tennessee playing non-conference games vs likes of Oregon, Oklahoma, UCLA, etc.

Reactions: 5 people
Yeah I was talking more about the scandal and having their equivalent of the General being dishonored and stripped of wins

Gotcha. Still can't get my head around the idea that they knowingly had a monster on staff/campus for years and did nothing. Just amazing.

Edit: btw, you at no point mentioned the Sandusky scandal and the fall of JoePa, which is why I was initially confused

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
moving to PA this week, will check out a penn state game on one of our bye weeks to see how the stadium/atmosphere compares to neyland.

In the 93 Citrus Bowl they were just dominating. In the 91 Fiesta Bowl we were actually leading them 17-7 when the bottom fell out. I don't remember if it was turnovers or what, but they scored 35 points in like 10 minutes. Best I remember we actually beat them in total yards and TOP.

Tennessee dominated the first half of that Fiesta Bowl and then the team fell apart at halftime. Story is Majors chewed Dale Carter out for fumbling the opening KO (led to only Penn State TD in first half) and the other black players resented it. Assistant coaches had to practically beg players to take the field in the 2nd half. PSU rolled.
Tennessee should have won the 2006 game but Foster fumbled deep in PS territory and they returned it for the winning TD.

Tennessee dominated the first half of that Fiesta Bowl and then the team fell apart at halftime. Story is Majors chewed Dale Carter out for fumbling the opening KO (led to only Penn State TD in first half) and the other black players resented it. Assistant coaches had to practically beg players to take the field in the 2nd half. PSU rolled.
I think I remember reading that some time back now that you mention it.

Penn State's a proud program. To have such a monumental lapse in values among the heart of the coaching staff is a tragedy for all who love college football in America, whether you like the Nittany Lions or hate them, adore Joe Paterno or disdain him.

I personally always liked Joe Pa, he was the accountant-looking fellow who could coach like nobody's business. His quiet sideline demeanor was in huge contrast to Hayes and Schembechler. He was quiet, sleeves-rolled up "manager" of the midwest. I liked that about him.

I always liked the program, too. They were a little cocky at times, but generally only when they earned it. A much friendlier crowd than the Ohio State or Michigan crowds, more willing to acknowledge places in the football landscape outside of their own turf.

To have all that happen to "their General Neyland," as Con Man put it, is a real tragedy. We are, by comparison, greatly blessed. I'd not trade our "Dark Ages" for theirs in a million years, even as bad as ours were.

Penn State's a proud program. To have such a monumental lapse in values among the heart of the coaching staff is a tragedy for all who love college football in America, whether you like the Nittany Lions or hate them, adore Joe Paterno or disdain him.

I personally always liked Joe Pa, he was the accountant-looking fellow who could coach like nobody's business. His quiet sideline demeanor was in huge contrast to Hayes and Schembechler. He was quiet, sleeves-rolled up "manager" of the midwest. I liked that about him.

I always liked the program, too. They were a little cocky at times, but generally only when they earned it. A much friendlier crowd than the Ohio State or Michigan crowds, more willing to acknowledge places in the football landscape outside of their own turf.

To have all that happen to "their General Neyland," as Con Man put it, is a real tragedy. We are, by comparison, greatly blessed. I'd not trade our "Dark Ages" for theirs in a million years, even as bad as ours were.

Exactly what i meant only stated more eloquently. I've always rooted for Penn state and Wisconsin because I admire the way they play and since we rarely play them

What happened to the children was a tragedy. Not what happened to Paterno. Just my opinion.

Edit: Maybe that's what you were referring to in the first paragraph.

Last edited:

The 93 season was when I started being a true orange vol fan. I turned 13 that year and watching Heath tear it up on the field was great. Then we ran into the Nittany Lions and got whooped like I had just hit my baby sister and mom was not happy with me!

I freaking hate penn state and everything their delusional fan base stands for.. I wish them nothing but misery, and especially since skanklin is there now. Too bad they didn't get the death penalty and shut that joke of a football program down... f--- penn state..

VN Store

Back