Vandy's Toughest Game This Fall: umm, who cares!

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
A profusion of "Tennessee is the toughest game of _________'s schedule this year" threads lately.

They're all wrong.

Look, let's be balanced. We're a hot pick right now, definitely moving rapidly in the right direction. But...

• Florida has in-state rival #8 FSU, and #9 Georgia between the hedges.
  • Alabama has #7 Auburn in the Iron Bowl. Plus #9 Georgia, #13 LSU, #15 Ole Miss, #18 Wisconsin, and #20 Arkansas. Holy sh!t.
  • South Carolina has #9 Georgia and in-state rival #12 Clemson.
  • Arkansas has Bama and Auburn, back to back.
  • Georgia has Bama and Auburn as well...plus in-state foe Georgia Tech.
  • Oklahoma has the Red River Rivalry against arch enemy Texas, and don't forget #4 Baylor and #2 TCU, back-to-back.
  • Mizzou, weak as their schedule is, still has to play #9 Georgia at Georgia, and #20 Arkansas at Arkansas. They get us at their house.
  • Kentucky plays #7 Auburn and #9 Georgia, in addition to us.
  • Vandy's ... well ... okay, pathetic Vandy may indeed count us as the #1 most important game of the year. So there's one.
  • As for BGSU, N Texas and W Carolina, we aren't a "tough game" for them...we're an all-but-guaranteed loss with a big paycheck.

So I'm not believing any of these "Tennessee is the toughest game of the year" threads that have suddenly become popular. We're among the top few games on all their schedules, but we're probably the #1 most important, key, tough, whatever only...to Vandy.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Good point. But would a game truly be considered big for your team if you expect to lose? The reason UT is the biggest game for a lot of these games are swing games. I got faith in our boys this year.

Side rant: They haven't been our rival since 1910s, how long does it take for a rivalry to die out?

Good post OP.

But hey, at least we are being mentioned by someone, even if it ain't true. That's a big improvement over the past 5 years.

Reactions: 1 person
The rivalry turned in 1926, when Neyland assumed command of the program. Prior to that, Vanderbilt led the series 14-2-1, hence the directive given to "even the score." Strangely, eight of the first ten games, and twelve of the first seventeen, were played at Vanderbilt. Tennessee vs Vanderbilt 1869-1925

None of those games are as scary as seeing Curt Maggit and Derek Barnett rushing at you from either side or Jalen Hurd lowering his shoulder coming at you at 24mph.

Sorry. TN is the worst nightmare imaginable for every team in the USA.

Opposing coaches toss and turn at night thinking about Butch's red-faced, eardrum-rupturing, saliva-spewing scream.

Hell, math equations and dark matter itself tremble as Joshua Dobbs sets his sights on solving their deepest mysteries.

Boom! GBMFO!!! Raaaaahhhhh (caveman roar.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
None of those games are as scary as seeing Curt Maggit and Derek Barnett rushing at you from either side or Jalen Hurd lowering his shoulder coming at you at 24mph.

Opposing coaches toss and turn at night thinking about Butch's red-faced, eardrum-rupturing, saliva-spewing scream.

Hell, math equations and dark matter itself tremble as Joshua Dobbs sets his sights on solving their deepest mysteries.

+1

Reactions: 2 people

Sounds good.

We'll go with that.

I'll have what he's having.

:loco:

Not sure which Vandy game will be the toughest for the Commodes [would think that ALL of them would fit here]but I guarantee you they will lose on Oct. 10 when they play OPEN because they are Vandy.........

Ah, take it easy on poor ole Vandy

But seriously, if they ever get too bad, they'll leave the SEC [think Sewanee] and then where would we be?

Haha yeah :)

I actually am required by law to like Vandy second-best of all college teams, since my daughters are both students there. I even fly the Vandy flag on our flagpole when the girls are "in residence" (home from school). Ugh, putting that black shroud up below Old Glory just chaffes my higginbottoms, I can tell you. But I do it, because I love two young Commodores.

And after they graduate, I'll be free to return to the Orange and White seven days a week, every week of the year!

But yeah, it is nice to have the 'Dores around to beat up on, once a year. :)

Go Vols!

Speaking of Vandy, here's a picture they inexplicably tweeted out today....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
Tickets for their first 3 games go on sale Wed.

Last edited:
Their web site has an apology about a tweet sent out today. They did not mean it to be referring to sexual assault. Still can't understand why it was done to start with.

Their web site has an apology about a tweet sent out today. They did not mean it to be referring to sexual assault. Still can't understand why it was done to start with.

If your PR department has to clarify that your new campaign is meant to exclude rape, you are probably in the wrong line of work.

Reactions: 3 people
Agree and even the Tennessean newspaper picked up on this fiasco.

Vanderbilt Football Under Fire For ‘We Don’t Need Your Permission’ Tweet | College Football | NESN.com

They took it down quickly. They should have been more "intelligent" in the first place. . .

Bill-Cosby-GIF-2.gif

Hahahaha oh my this is the funniest thing I've seen in a while. The apology is almost as good:
@VandyFootball
We apologize for today’s tweet. It’s not a comment about sexual assault. Sex without permission is always wrong and not accepted. (1/2)

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back