2015 Vols injury update

Catbone

Hit me baby one more time
I spend way, way too much time on here so I figured I would try to at least be productive. I see a lot of people who have to fish around to get injury news, so I figured we could try to get one stickied to the top. I would like to try to keep it updated throughout the season, with sources for each specific player.

Current Injured Players:

08/27/15 WR Vincent Perry Knee- Out for season. Will redshirt per Butch Jones https://twitter.com/John_BriceVQ/status/636929752423628800

08/27/15 WR Jason Croom Knee- Out 3-5 weeks after knee scope per Butch Jones Another knee surgery for WR Croom

08/27/15 S LaDarrell McNeil Neck- May have narrowing of spine (stenosis). Some have played with this condition as there are degrees but likely out for season. "Slight chance he will be able to return, but it's a long shot" - Butch Jones Tennessee safety
LaDarrell McNeil to miss 'extended period of time' | Sports - College | Times Free Press

08/22/15 OL Austin Sanders Bicep- Out for season Austin Sanders to miss season with torn biceps - GoVolsXtra Story

08/21/15 DB Rashaan Gaulden Foot- Out for season http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...-out-for-year-with-foot-injury-210725071.html

08/13/15 OL Marcus Jackson Bicep- Out for season Butch updates Tennessee injuries: Marcus Jackson likely done for season | FOX Sports

08/13/15 CB Devaun Swafford Head/Neck- Out for season Injury likely to end Swafford's UT career

Returning Injured Players:

08/31/15 WR Preston Williams will play against Bowling Green
Vols Depth Chart: Bowling Green Week - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

08/25/15 DB Justin Martin Back in a non contact jersey after missing a few weeks of practice, still a little gimpy Tennessee's Justin Martin faces 'long process' after return from injury | Sports - College | Times Free Press

08/25/15 WR Marquez North Back in a non contact jersey after missing a week of practice, is now 100% healthy per Butch Jones Vols 'easing' Marquez North back from knee injury | Sports - College | Times Free Press

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
Really helpful good work

I spend way, way too much time on here so I figured I would try to at least be productive. I see a lot of people who have to fish around to get injury news, so I figured we could try to get one stickied to the top. I would like to try to keep it updated throughout the season, with sources for each specific player.

Current Injured Players:

08/27/15 WR Vincent Perry Knee- Likely out for season https://twitter.com/John_BriceVQ/status/636929752423628800

08/27/15 S LaDarrell McNeil Neck- Likely out for season Tennessee safety LaDarrell McNeil to miss 'extended period of time' | Sports - College | Times Free Press

08/27/15 WR Jason Croom Knee- Out 4+ weeks, will scope knee soon to evaluate damage Another knee surgery for WR Croom

08/22/15 OL Austin Sanders Bicep- Out for season Austin Sanders to miss season with torn biceps - GoVolsXtra Story

08/21/15 DB Rashaan Gaulden Foot- Out for season http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...-out-for-year-with-foot-injury-210725071.html

08/13/15 OL Marcus Jackson Bicep- Out for season Butch updates Tennessee injuries: Marcus Jackson likely done for season | FOX Sports

08/13/15 CB Devaun Swafford Head/Neck- Out for season Injury likely to end Swafford's UT career

Returning Injured Players:

08/25/15 DB Justin Martin Back in a non contact jersey after missing a few weeks of practice Tennessee's Justin Martin faces 'long process' after return from injury | Sports - College | Times Free Press

08/25/15 WR Marquez North Back in a non contact jersey after missing a week of practice Vols 'easing' Marquez North back from knee injury | Sports - College | Times Free Press

Reactions: 2 people
We are clearly a team that goes all in. Missing part of a season? Hell no. Missing a few games is for quitters. Out for season or not injured at all. /blue font.

Great post catbone... Did I actually just say that?

Reactions: 3 people
We are clearly a team that goes all in. Missing part of a season? Hell no. Missing a few games is for quitters. Out for season or not injured at all. /blue font.

Great post catbone... Did I actually just say that?

:eek:lol: I'll keep this thread clear of my negativity, I promise

Reactions: 1 person
7 players not returning to the field by game 1.

2 starters, supposing MJ was going to start on the O-line.

It's bad, but it's not as bad as it seems. I'm sure plenty of other teams out there are dealing with pretty similar stuff.

Reactions: 3 people
Nice Catbone! :hi: - very helpful ---- and how appropriate that you created this thread! :)

It's bad, but it's not as bad as it seems. I'm sure plenty of other teams out there are dealing with pretty similar stuff.

3 starters. 2 in the secondary. The guys who are replacing them are just as good. Where it hurts is depth.

:eek:lol: I'll keep this thread clear of my negativity, I promise

It's already a negative thread...you come in here all negative and you end up positive...can't have that. :nono:

Yeah, Kirby, you're right. When I looked at the donbest.com lists, Tennessee had 3 long-term medicals listed (Sanders, Gaulden, Jackson), plus North as a short-term. So I went down the list looking for other teams with 3 or more long-term injuries, found about 12 (including Vandy) who were in roughly the same boat, and a couple with significantly more than us.

Since then, the keeper of the site has added McNeil and Croom. That makes 5 long-term injuries for the Vols (though we don't honestly know whether Croom's knee is a long-term issue or not). Which eclipses most of the other teams that were roughly in the same boat as us before.

So you're right.

Last edited:
Not good for the season or recruiting, I've been told UGA has said to top recruits interested in UT that are coaches overwork to players and don't know how to train properly that's why we're having all these injuries I've actually heard it from recruits as well

I haven't heard it anywhere. If one is not in shape, one WILL get hurt. It pays off in the fourth quarter and at the end of the season. If you don't want your little boys to get hurt, let them be Math or English teachers.

I am no expert on this subject, but it appears to me that "maybe" these young players have been pushed too hard in regards to the weight room and at practice. I understand the physicality that CBJ has stated numerous times, but with the push to get players and only to lose them to practice injuries, is this coaching staff not seeing the big picture? These are still 18/19 year old men that are still physically developing, and after a Spring and Summer weight program, is Butch doing everything to reduce injuries?

This all just seems to be the results of pushing these kids to develop and not giving their muscles, tendons, bones the real time needed to recover.

Ok, flame away, and I don't usually question a coaches' methods...but this is too big of an issue not to notice that something is not quite right.

Defcon 3.

That's about where I am with my injury level concern. 5 before camps and all was sunshine and rainbows. Went to defcon 4 following the 2 Oline injuries. Elevated to defcon 3 yesterday following the news of our latest DB injuries and few other miscellaneous injuries. Once Martin and croom get back I may go back up to defcon 4. But for now we are steady at 3. A state of alert. I have alcohol, headache medicine, and Kleenex at the ready just incase. But I don't plan on having to use them. Except the alcohol. Cause. Well. Science.

FlyFishinVol,

The list here is a little deceiving in the magnitude of injuries that have occurred during this fall camp.

Croom and Swafford's injuries happened last season. McNeil's injury seems like a compilation of things rather than a specific hit or injury. That leaves 4.

Perry's injury was non-contact. I believe Jackson's injury was non-contact. Sander's injury was contact, but was a "freak" injury due to poor mechanics.

The only injury I can really see that could have been avoided is Gaulden's. I think preparing the players by full-contact is important. And injuries will happen. Maybe they don't go all-out in practices, and we still have Gaulden for the year. Then maybe we get in a game and guys get injured because they aren't used to playing hard against teams that are. I don't know. . . I think we just got hit with the injury bug this off-season. And since we have so many returning starters, we're seeing more of those key players going down.

Reactions: 6 people
Hyams update, slightly cautionary

Croom - problems with swelling of knee.
Will likely be back before Perry. Perry likely not ready until second half of season but did look really good in summmer. Perry likely to redshirt especially if Croom returns.

Mock game may be last of hitting. Likely dialing it back.

McNeil - may have narrowing of spine (stenosis). Some have played with this condition as there are degrees but likely out for season.

Kendrick and Weisman - frustrated with playing time. Kendrick supposedly mainly frustrated with moving to gaurd. Boulware has really come along.

Thomas - he was not aware he was practicing at center. Still thinking he'll be a RT.
Hyams said from what he has seen he questions Thomas at RT, has been beat a lot one on one.

Injuries and season: getting close to concern. He leaned 8-9 sliding to 7 now unless can stay healthy. Still have good recieving unit. Could be bad luck but they are doing studies of why.

MLB - Hyams suprised by competition boiling down to a walkon and true freshman. Kirkland incredibly smart and good athlete. Bynum viewed more as run stopper and hurry up offenses we face likely caused him to drop out of race.

RDA - 161lb to 185

Punters could use 2 against BG. Could have pooch punter and deep punter. Thinks Renfro will win job.

There were literally half a dozen posts right before yours showing our injury rate this preseason is one of, if not the highest, in college football.

VN Store

Back