No Use Bickering...(long)

jakez4ut

Patience... It's what's for dinner
i posted late Saturday night my "goodbye" for the season. as i've been reading and listening to reaction regarding current state of affairs, i've been paying attention to both sides of this thing, and trying to reconcile what is, and what isn't.

prior to, and after the OU game, i considered myself a pretty staunch Butch supporter. that waned considerably after the UF game. it didn't get much help after the Ark game.

aside from coming full circle and throwing my "support", if you can really call it that, back behind Butch and co., or throwing in the towel, i have come to the conclusion that from a football standpoint, this team really isn't where it needs to be yet. I am not stating why or why not that's the case here....just that it's a fact. Pre season, we had several questions that need to be answered for our season to go well:
1. Has the O line developed/improved enough?
thru 4 games, no. are they better? sure. are they SEC top shelf competitive? no.
2. Will Dobbs develop/improve his accuracy?
thru 4 games we've seen some flashes of improvement, but there's no consistency, or effort put in to the passing game. I do believe CBJ when he talks about the passing game is about more than the qb.
3. Will the WR's shake off the "potential" tag and get it done finally?
much like Dobbs, the answer is no. there's no where near the sample size to truly answer, it but suffice to say, they still have trouble staying healthy, and the few opportunities they have gotten, they've not made the most of them.
4. who's gonna play MLB?
Jumper was not the answer athletically, and while Kirkland has been more athletic, he's made freshman mistakes which is why Jumper got the nod. if you could make 1 MLB out of the two of them, he'd probably be a damn good one.
5. can we stay healthy?
No, we haven't. we've had key injuries at key spots...DL, OL, LB, WR, DB....

so, you tally up the answers to our key questions coming in to the season, and we've not hit correct answers enough, if at all.

now before you say i'm making excuses....

add to the above, the decision making and conservative play calling in crunch time of games, and what you have is....

a bad season so far. i just think everyone at least needs to acknowledge the whole picture. the easy thing to pile on the coach.....i'm guilty as charged.

anyway, i have gotten to the point now where i've come to this conclusion:

if a few plays are made, the mistakes by the coaches are never an issue. if the coaches make a few better decisions, we may overcome mistakes made by the players. both the players and coaches at various times this year have been outstanding. they really have. right now, it's the inability for ANYONE to be great when it matters most that's killing us. there are no perfect games. even if we start winning, players and coaches are still going to make mistakes. do we or do we not have people inside this program that can overcome them? that's where we have to get to.

as for Jones, it's no use bickering, he's not going anywhere this year or next. the only way we'll know if that's a bad thing or good thing is to get to the end of next year and see where we are.

so my advice, hope like hell this team and the coaches get it together. keep recruiting like have been. they are capable. right now, we all just need a result to build off of.

so, now i'm done. Go Big Orange.

Reactions: 18 people
Did read...very rational. I agree. Thanks for taking the time post. I'm going to do myself a favor and reserve judgement on the staff until the end of the season...as crazy as that sounds. Lotta football still to be played.

Reactions: 4 people
i posted late Saturday night my "goodbye" for the season. as i've been reading and listening to reaction regarding current state of affairs, i've been paying attention to both sides of this thing, and trying to reconcile what is, and what isn't.

prior to, and after the OU game, i considered myself a pretty staunch Butch supporter. that waned considerably after the UF game. it didn't get much help after the Ark game.

aside from coming full circle and throwing my "support", if you can really call it that, back behind Butch and co., or throwing in the towel, i have come to the conclusion that from a football standpoint, this team really isn't where it needs to be yet. I am not stating why or why not that's the case here....just that it's a fact. Pre season, we had several questions that need to be answered for our season to go well:
thru 4 games, no. are they better? sure. are they SEC top shelf competitive? no.
thru 4 games we've seen some flashes of improvement, but there's no consistency, or effort put in to the passing game. I do believe CBJ when he talks about the passing game is about more than the qb.
much like Dobbs, the answer is no. there's no where near the sample size to truly answer, it but suffice to say, they still have trouble staying healthy, and the few opportunities they have gotten, they've not made the most of them.
4. who's gonna play MLB?
Jumper was not the answer athletically, and while Kirkland has been more athletic, he's made freshman mistakes which is why Jumper got the nod. if you could make 1 MLB out of the two of them, he'd probably be a damn good one.
5. can we stay healthy?

so, you tally up the answers to our key questions coming in to the season, and we've not hit correct answers enough, if at all.

add to the above, the decision making and conservative play calling in crunch time of games, and what you have is....

a bad season so far. i just think everyone at least needs to acknowledge the whole picture. the easy thing to pile on the coach.....i'm guilty as charged.

if a few plays are made, the mistakes by the coaches are never an issue. if the coaches make a few better decisions, we may overcome mistakes made by the players. both the players and coaches at various times this year have been outstanding. they really have. right now, it's the inability for ANYONE to be great when it matters most that's killing us. there are no perfect games. even if we start winning, players and coaches are still going to make mistakes. do we or do we not have people inside this program that can overcome them? that's where we have to get to.

as for Jones, it's no use bickering, he's not going anywhere this year or next. the only way we'll know if that's a bad thing or good thing is to get to the end of next year and see where we are.

so my advice, hope like hell this team and the coaches get it together. keep recruiting like have been. they are capable. right now, we all just need a result to build off of.

You speak the truth. That's all we can do because like you said CBJ is going nowhere this year or next. But the assistants are another story. CBJ probably will need to make some changes at the end of the season. In the meantime, I truly hope the coaches and players can get it together this season.

Reactions: 4 people

4. who's gonna play MLB?
5. can we stay healthy?

None of what you posted changes the fact that we lost to Oklahoma and Florida due to poor game management by our coaching staff! While I agree that you are accurate in all of the issues with our team, we still should be at worst sitting at 4-1 with those issues and not 2-3. The reason we are 2-3 is because of the ineptness of this coaching staff.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree 100% Jake. Sooner or later it comes down to players making plays. Sure coaches need to put them in the right position to get it done, that's obvious. Simply put, these players need to just do their job, and their job only.
All three of our losses could've been avoided if someone just did their job correctly. We need someone to step up and take the bull by the horns and say enough! Just do your job, the rest will take care of itself.

Reactions: 1 person
Did read...very rational. I agree. Thanks for taking the time post. I'm going to do myself a favor and reserve judgement on the staff until the end of the season...as crazy as that sounds. Lotta football still to be played.
there is, but only a couple of real opportunities to do something "great". 7-5, while technically better than last year's 6-6, won't have anyone doing cartwheels this year.
You speak the truth. That's all we can do because like you said CBJ is going nowhere this year or next. But the assistants are another story. CBJ probably will need to make some changes at the end of the season. In the meantime, I truly hope the coaches and players can get it together this season.
i don't know if there will be or not. he's big on consistency, and i don't blame him for it. i will not be shocked if the whole staff is back next year.

I agree 100% Jake. Sooner or later it comes down to players making plays. Sure coaches need to put them in the right position to get it done, that's obvious. Simply put, these players need to just do their job, and their job only.
All three of our losses could've been avoided if someone just did their job correctly. We need someone to step up and take the bull by the horns and say enough! Just do your job, the rest will take care of itself.

that goes CBJ as well. he needs to be accountable(one of my biggest frustrations w/him right now matter of fact, and leaves me the most concerned about our future), and he needs to hold the other coaches accountable.

like i said, the failures so far this season have been a team effort.

Maybe all the pundits were right before the season started. 10-2 sure sounded good. Maybe next year IS our year. While screaming at the TV Saturday, the wife came downstairs wondering what the heck was going on. I told her we keep dropping the ball, outa position, can't tackle..... She says at 62 yrs old I shouldn't be yelling at the TV.. It's just a game. So I wiped my slate clean, turned it to another station (kept peeping). I think it's because we are too impatient. I'm gonna calm it down to keep from blowing a major gasket. Hopefully we will turn the corner and get back to where we all want the Big Orange to be. But I have pumped the brakes at my house.

that goes CBJ as well. he needs to be accountable(one of my biggest frustrations w/him right now matter of fact, and leaves me the most concerned about our future), and he needs to hold the other coaches accountable.

like i said, the failures so far this season have been a team effort.

Of course it does. As was stated above, jones is on the clock. I personally have lost all faith in the man.

These defensive breakdowns in the 4th quarter are directly related to not playing with a killer instinct on offense. If you're gonna die, die with your boots on at least. I'm sure as a fanbase, we'd respect a coach trying to win a game, rather than just trying to hold on.

Interesting discussion. Jones has 2 great young recruiting classes (with the possible exception of offensive linemen). Otherwise he has weak senior and junior classes and many of the upper classmen - key returnees are injured. Maggitt, Howard, North, Marcus Jackson, Croom, Saulsberry and several other key guys from 2014 are not playing. Depth is not there yet to make up for these losses. Many of the kids look good - Tuttle, Kirkland, McKenzie, Jennings, Phillips, etc. Kamara is one of the best jucos in some time and is only a sophomore. I think everyone needs to reserve judgment until 2016 and see what evolves. 3 tough losses and winnable games are difficult to take but let's see after a full squad is built if the program can gel as it should. Unfortunately Croom, Maggitt Saulsberry and Jackson have already been redshirted so there is no upside for their lost seasons. More younger players will play and maybe that will pay off in the future. There is little upper class leadership other than Reeves-Maybin and thankfully he is a junior. North and Howard can make a difference if and when they come back - if they regain full health.

Reactions: 2 people

That...seems...so...logical...did...you...get...lost?

GO VOLS!

goddaaaaang it thank you for some rationale. for seeing the bigger picture. no matter how much we ***** and moan, Butch deserves another year and folks, he aint goin' nowhere cause UT cant afford another coach. So better hope it will take another recruiting class and some more experience. Butch said it 'were a year away'.

These defensive breakdowns in the 4th quarter are directly related to not playing with a killer instinct on offense. If you're gonna die, die with your boots on at least. I'm sure as a fanbase, we'd respect a coach trying to win a game, rather than just trying to hold on.[/QUOTE]

While we were screaming defense on Arkansas' last drive
our subs acted like they did not know where to line up.
Coaching or players? Maybe both?

None of what you posted changes the fact that we lost to Oklahoma and Florida due to poor game management by our coaching staff! While I agree that you are accurate in all of the issues with our team, we still should be at worst sitting at 4-1 with those issues and not 2-3. The reason we are 2-3 is because of the ineptness of this coaching staff.

Game management issues, coaching not to lose at key moments. Yes they happened, and are reasons we lost. But so are players dropping balls, missing tackles, missing assignments... You look at it in its entirety, there are more than enough opportunities for coaches and players to pick it up. Everyone has shrunk when the light has shown brightest.

goddaaaaang it thank you for some rationale. for seeing the bigger picture. no matter how much we ***** and moan, Butch deserves another year and folks, he aint goin' nowhere cause UT cant afford another coach. So better hope it will take another recruiting class and some more experience. Butch said it 'were a year away'.

It's not about "deserve". Economically it makes no sense, and unless you have a sure thing in the bag for a replacement, there's nothing good about another search during the off season, considering how the last two went.

VN Store

Back