Dan Olson Tweets Nunn Commits to Lady Vols!

Winthrop Eagles

So what's the story on Nunn? How many years will she have as a Lady Vol? And any other news about her would be nice. Thanks!

Welcome to Rockytop Shaquilla!

Reactions: 1 person
Winthrop Eagles

So what's the story on Nunn? How many years will she have as a Lady Vol? And any other news about her would be nice. Thanks!

1 year available. And she has had very good games against really good competition including something like 16 pts 12 rebounds when they play the Lady Vols a couple years ago.

Winthrop Eagles

it's Schaquilla

She broke her foot last year and reshirted the SR year. We can have her for one year.

ROCK HILL, SC—Winthrop head women's basketball coach Kevin Cook announced Monday night during his weekly coach's show that senior center Schaquilla Nunn, a preseason First Team All-Big South Conference selection, has suffered a broken foot and plans to seek a medical redshirt for 2015-16.

Cook said the 6-3 Nunn looked at her options about possibly returning to action in January or redshirting and coming back in 2016-17. She said to me, 'Coach Cook I just don't want to have the kind of senior year where I may be able to play for a couple of games and then be out for a couple of games. I want it to heal proper and I will give it a shot next year."

Nunn averaged a double-double as a junior with 13.7 points and 11.1 rebounds per game. She was also one of the nation's leading shot blockers and ranked ninth with 3.6 blocks per game. Her rebound average also ranked her 15th nationally. She became Winthrop's all-time rebound and shot block leader last year and is on the verge of becoming the first player in Winthrop basketball history (male or female) to score more than 1,000 points and pull down more than 1,000 rebounds. She now has 982 points and 910 rebounds.

Nunn.JPG

Reactions: 4 people
My how far we have fallen. To get excited to get a graduate transfer from a low tier D1 school that will be on campus for 1 yr.

Reactions: 11 people
it's Schaquilla

She broke her foot last year and reshirted the SR year. We can have her for one year.

ROCK HILL, SC—Winthrop head women's basketball coach Kevin Cook announced Monday night during his weekly coach's show that senior center Schaquilla Nunn, a preseason First Team All-Big South Conference selection, has suffered a broken foot and plans to seek a medical redshirt for 2015-16.

Cook said the 6-3 Nunn looked at her options about possibly returning to action in January or redshirting and coming back in 2016-17. She said to me, 'Coach Cook I just don't want to have the kind of senior year where I may be able to play for a couple of games and then be out for a couple of games. I want it to heal proper and I will give it a shot next year."

Nunn averaged a double-double as a junior with 13.7 points and 11.1 rebounds per game. She was also one of the nation's leading shot blockers and ranked ninth with 3.6 blocks per game. Her rebound average also ranked her 15th nationally. She became Winthrop's all-time rebound and shot block leader last year and is on the verge of becoming the first player in Winthrop basketball history (male or female) to score more than 1,000 points and pull down more than 1,000 rebounds. She now has 982 points and 910 rebounds.

View attachment 110173

Good Luck, Kesling.

Oh, wait.........

My how far we have fallen. To get excited to get a graduate transfer from a low tier D1 school that will be on campus for 1 yr.

The Big South is a very weak conference with absolutely no competition. Last year, Winthrop finished dead last in conference play. That doesn't mean Nunn cannot play, it just means that her stats are relative to the level of competition she faced. Every year in WCBB, there are only four or five teams that play quality basketball. If a player is performing well against those four or five teams, she is the real deal. If not, it is best to wait and see how she performs against "real" WCBB players before anointing her as the next "big thing."

The horrible season we had plus the lack of recruiting, I will take anything that's positive and will help this program. This is good news considering the fact Russell may have been our only true post this upcoming season. I been accepted reality that Holly is NOT Pat Summitt and this program has taken a dip. All we can do as fans is hope things improve and that we will be back amongst the Elite very soon. Maybe there was turmoil in the locker room that had an impact on this season? Maybe it was best for Elzy to depart? No one is exactly sure. I'm just glad we have a player that can bridge the gap hoping we sign a major 2017 class. Welcome Ms. Nunn!

Reactions: 3 people
The Big South is a very weak conference with absolutely no competition. Last year, Winthrop finished dead last in conference play. That doesn't mean Nunn cannot play, it just means that her stats are relative to the level of competition she faced. Every year in WCBB, there are only four or five teams that play quality basketball. If a player is performing well against those four or five teams, she is the real deal. If not, it is best to wait and see how she performs against "real" WCBB players before anointing her as the next "big thing."

Four or five teams that play "quality basketball"? That's a crazy statement. There are a lot of teams that play quality basketball, though I suppose it depends on how you define "quality." A lot of teams that aren't elite play sound, quality basketball--and a lot of them have good players. We'll see how Nunn does. At the very least, she'll give us some minutes when Russell is resting.

Four or five teams that play "quality basketball"? That's a crazy statement. There are a lot of teams that play quality basketball, though I suppose it depends on how you define "quality." A lot of teams that aren't elite play sound, quality basketball--and a lot of them have good players. We'll see how Nunn does. At the very least, she'll give us some minutes when Russell is resting.

I agree with you! I think she will more than likely start at the 4 position though. I don't think she comes here to sit on the bench. I think our starting lineup next year will be;

PG-Reynolds
SG-Cooper
SF-Diamond
PF-Nunn
C-Russell

Nared will replace Nunn as Nunn will probably slide over to replace russell and Carter and Middleton would replace Cooper and Reynolds. Dunbar and Jackson will play based on Diamond's performance and Harris will ride the pine a lot like Moore did this year and it would be the same ol, same ol

So we are to be excited to take two players Holly has taken since the tourney that Pat would have never even considered. I am happy for the players and their families, they get a rare opportunity. I am not happy for the program. If find it very depressing.

Reactions: 3 people
So we are to be excited to take two players Holly has taken since the tourney that Pat would have never even considered. I am happy for the players and their families, they get a rare opportunity. I am not happy for the program. If find it very depressing.

Pat has taken players like Brianna Bass and Sydney Smallbone in the past. I don't see much of a difference here.

Reactions: 5 people

There is always roles for players with specific skills like these two players....that being said this years recruiting class is huge for us.

I agree with you! I think she will more than likely start at the 4 position though. I don't think she comes here to sit on the bench. I think our starting lineup next year will be;

PG-Reynolds
SG-Cooper
SF-Diamond
PF-Nunn
C-Russell

Nared will replace Nunn as Nunn will probably slide over to replace russell and Carter and Middleton would replace Cooper and Reynolds. Dunbar and Jackson will play based on Diamond's performance and Harris will ride the pine a lot like Moore did this year and it would be the same ol, same ol

1-Cooper
2-Diamond
3-Nared
4-Nunn
5-Russell

1-Cooper
2-Diamond
3-Nared
4-Nunn
5-Russell

Reynolds or Carter will start at the Point, the only issue is will Nared start at the 4 in place of Nunn to give a 4 out 1 in look/allow more space to "get the ball inside" to Russell at all cost or will we go with a double Post look and not give Diamond the room to operate

PG-Reynolds
SG-Cooper
SF-Diamond
PF-Nunn
C-Russell

I doubt Cooper will replace Nared in your scenario. I think it would more likely be SG - Diamond, SF - Nared with Cooper first off the bench with Carter.

VN Store

Back