Zach Stewrt leaving football

I don't even know this guy, but I love him!!

I hope that VFL will follow him throughout his life.

Godspeed...............

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Zach is correct that it's his decision to make with the athletic ability he was given. Hopefully he will be able to positively impact the lives of many kids. Sounds like he is a very mature young man.

Reactions: 6 people
Sorry for his loss, but c'mon: How is he going to become a teacher without going to college? No, the future is not bright for him. If you have an opportunity get a college scholarship, you are unwise not to take it. It's been two years--he's not really going to accomplish anything by hanging around Coalfield. Of course it's his decision, but it's not a very smart one.

Reactions: 29 people
Wish Zach the best. All of us who have lost someone so dear totally understand his decision. You will always be a VFL.

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry for his loss, but c'mon: How is he going to become a teacher without going to college? No, the future is not bright for him. If you have an opportunity get a college scholarship, you are unwise not to take it. It's been two years--he's not really going to accomplish anything by hanging around Coalfield. Of course it's his decision, but it's not a very smart one.

I think you missed the point that it's HIS decision. He has a young brother that he's mentoring while providing family support. It may not be the decision you would make. So what?

Reactions: 19 people

Same thing can be said about your post

Reactions: 36 people

He says in the article that he'll be attending community college for two years.

Reactions: 2 people

I can't believe other members of his family did not advise him to stay at UT.

Reactions: 6 people
I can't believe other members of his family did not advise him to stay at UT.

They might have....................... he apparently has based his decision on what he feels is best for ALL concerned.

Many of US don't do that these days. Apparently he is not very self centered.

Bless him & bless his family.!!

Reactions: 8 people
I know what its like to lose a parent young, my dad died when I was 20, just a few years ago still, and having been in it before the one thing you learn is that terrible things happen. Most times, for no good reason. But very few of us are blessed with the minds to attend a good college, and even fewer of us are blessed with the physical tools to play a sport as well as he has, let alone on the D1 college level. And especially not from small towns in East Tennessee. I know this having grown up 35 minutes from Coalfield and playing them in every sport since middle school.

It saddens me knowing exactly what it feels like and seeing someone with so much potential making a very bad decision based on emotions that do get better. You take time off, yes. You get better mentally, yes. But most parents would gladly give their lives to set their children up for life, and being born with the physical ability to play D1 football in the south is as good of a head start as you will ever get, and that's saying you're just good enough to make a scholarship spot and get free college and a large portion of the female students.

I really don't think this has much to do with his mother at this stage. When you grow up in a small town you want to do one of two things. Stay forever or get the hell out by any means necessary. I think he's just the type who wants to stay. Because if it's about honoring someone you've lost, you go out into the world and make a name for yourself by being the best possible person you can and using every bit of God Given ability you possibly can to make the world a better place and make them proud of you. You disrespect them, and the person who gave them to you, by not using your talents to the fullest. Most of us never use our full ability, but few of us have motivation like losing a loved one or growing up poor, and some of us hide from the burden when it is thrust upon us anyway.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I've seen enough small town syndrome and tragedy in my few years to have a master's degree by this stage. I wish him the best of luck, but I fear the path of regret will be far worse the further along he goes.

Reactions: 12 people
Well the decision is on him and its not anybody's business to judge whether he's doing the right thing or not. I was looking forward to seeing him suit
up but all I will do now is wish him and his family the best. Good luck Zach.

Reactions: 3 people
Same thing can be said about your post

Maybe a little hard on Armchair. His point is valid...this guy is basically deferring his future for his little brother's. A noble idea, but will it be best in the end? Time will tell.

He's coaching football for his brother--yet he gave up football for himself. He wants to be a teacher--yet he gave up a free ride to college to get his teaching degree.

Grief is a hard thing--it will cause people to make some strange decisions. Hopefully, all will work out for this young man. I wish the best of luck.

Reactions: 7 people

Your post won't meet VN's strict standards for political correctness and hyper-sensitivity but I tend to agree. It's understandable that football is not in the cards for him but hopefully he does complete his education. I know community college was mentioned. No parent would want their child to quit college after their passing.

Reactions: 11 people
Well the decision is on him and its not anybody's business to judge whether he's doing the right thing or not. I was looking forward to seeing him suit
up but all I will do now is wish him and his family the best. Good luck Zach.

Well Said. I also wanted to see him in orange. And I would hate to wake up 20 years later and wish I had made a different decision.

It is his decision to make, not ours. Whatever he does, he will do well.

Herman would be disappointed, but he is gone now.

Last edited:
Obviously its his decision and if his heart isnt in football anymore, it isnt in it. I suppose its better that he's honest about it now rather than waiting until after he got on campus and in the program.

What I cant help but think, after reading so much about his family and what kind of person Zach's mother was, is that Zach's mother would have wanted him to continue to pursue his dream of playing football for UT and that she'd be disappointed by his decision to quit football. I believe if she were able to speak to her son right now, she'd tell him to cut this nonsense out and get his butt on campus. I know thats what I'd tell my son if he had this rare opportunity to pursue his dream.

Last edited:

Self absorbed much? This post just shows your complete idiocy. Because we all know that every single successful person in history had a college degree right? Good grief.

Self absorbed much? This post just shows your complete idiocy. Because we all know that every single successful person in history had a college degree right? Good grief.

Chip on your shoulder much? The post you replied to didn't say that you can't be successful without going to college. You literally can't be a certified teacher without a college degree. As a person with a degree in an industrial manager role, I see this type of inferiority complex/compensation a lot.

Last edited:
This is 100% all about him and what's best for his family right now.

buTch has left the door wide open for this young man in case he changes his mind and has offered to do anything he can to help him and his family.

His dad has to work and earn a living like all of us.

He has a younger brother in middle school and you can bet that losing his Mom at such a young age has been a huge burden on this kid.

Maybe dad can't be around as much for the younger brother but his big brother IS going to be there for him.

Certainly many of us are disappointed that the big guy isn't going to suit up soon and help our footVol team but this is HIS decision and we should respect it.

Maybe he'll change his mind and call buTch to tell him he's ready to play and his mind and emotions are 100% back into him playing ball again.

None of us know exactly what this young man and his family are still trying to deal with and how they're trying to deal with everything and none of that is any of our business either.

As time passes things change and just maybe in a couple of years his younger brother will tell him to go get his free education and play ball again, we just don't know what may happen.

All doors to UT will remain wide open and he's a great young man for being totally honest and ethical about where he's really at right now.

He's putting the best interest of our UT footVol team at the forefront too and we need to respect him for that.

He's not going to waste a scholly or take advantage of UT when his heart, mind and soul aren't really into it and we should respect that as well.

I wish him and his family all the very best!

May God continue to bless him and his family.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back