Not impressed with Justin Fuente

ArmyVol697

In his first year at Memphis, he went 4-8. Then his second year, he went 3-9. Imagine what would happen here if we went 3-9 against the weak opponents like in he had in that joke of a conference. In his third year he went 10-3 and last year he went 9-3. Granted, such a feat at Memphis is remarkable, I just can't get over the fact that for three of those years he had an awesome qb who ended up as a first-round draft pick. He was a three star guy and maybe I should give him credit for coaching him up, but I can't because Memphis plays in a joke of a conference. Also, he is 1 out of 5 against ranked opponents with his sole victory in his last year. I'm just not impressed.

I guess there is an argument for the work he did under Patterson, but last year TCU was 11-2 and the year before that they were 12-1. Patterson, in 16 years is 143-47, so I give him most of the credit for the success during the years that Fuentes was there.

Granted, we shouldn't underestimate anyone, but those thinking he is some awesome coach and we need to be worried about the Battle in Bristol, need to get a grip. We are going to do to them what we did in our last game against that Yankee team in purple.

:salute:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
In his first year at Memphis, he went 4-8. Then his second year, he went 3-9. Imagine what would happen here if we went 3-9 against the weak opponents like in he had in that joke of a conference. In his third year he went 10-3 and last year he went 9-3. Granted, such a feat at Memphis is remarkable, I just can't get over the fact that for three of those years he had an awesome qb who ended up as a first-round draft pick. He was a three star guy and maybe I should give him credit for coaching him up, but I can't because Memphis plays in a joke of a conference. Also, he is 1 out of 5 against ranked opponents with his sole victory in his last year. I'm just not impressed.

The problem with these arguments of "3-9 vs weak opponents" is you're not taking to account the talent he has at Memphis. It's not the same as coming to Tennessee and going 3-9 against weak opponents because Tennessee's talent level, even in it's worst years, is astronomically better than Memphis' talent level even at their best.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

I haven't watched enough of Memphis to comment on Fuente, but felt the need to point out the flaw in your comparison.

Reactions: 21 people
Winning at Memphis State is no small feat.

The talent he had was comparable to the talent within the conference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
The Fuente lovers are going to roast you. After all in their minds Fuente is the 2nd coming. So get ready for it.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm going to preface this with the fact that I think we will comfortably beat VT (at least from a scoreboard standpoin) and that I see them as only a 6-8 win team tops in 2016(with 8 wins meaning they benefit from a few lucky breaks against teams like Pitt or Duke). If we shared their schedule, I think we'd be expected to win 11 games with the ND game being considered a toss up by many.

As for Fuente, I think he'll work out well for VT eventually, but it will take him a few seasons to get things going. Sure, his first two years at Memphis were ugly. But they had won 5 total games in the three years before he got there. He was able build them back up in just 3 years once he had a chance to bring in his own guys and coach up the ones he'd had left behind.

I think he's a good fit at VT. VT has a pretty good talent pool not too far from campus and, while I don't see Fuente becoming an elite recruiter by any means, I think he'll do well enough at getting the players he needs for his system to be compete for Division championships eventually. The fact that he was able to keep Foster on as DC should mean that they'll be ready to do that as soon as he has some of his guys and his offensive system well established.

I might be wrong about all that and maybe he'll crash and burn. I think he's a good coach and VT will be set for a while with him, though.

I think Fuente is a very good coach He did a great job in Memphis and will end up having great success at VT, but with that being said we are going to roll VT in Bristol. VT will keep it close for the first half but we will end up winning by at least 3tds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The talent level between UT and VT is too great to be overcome by scheme, discipline, or determination. Bud Foster is a great defensive mind but is completely outclassed talent wise and even if VT can somehow stop our offense they still have the problem of moving it on our D. Hope springs eternal but reality is going to hit the Hokies square in the mouth in Bristol.

Vols win 45 - 13

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
The talent level between UT and VT is too great to be overcome by scheme, discipline, or determination. Bud Foster is a great defensive mind but is completely outclassed talent wise and even if VT can somehow stop our offense they still have the problem of moving it on our D. Hope springs eternal but reality is going to hit the Hokies square in the mouth in Bristol.

Vols win 45 - 13

Now I do agree we win and by about that score. But it can be overcome if we get caught sleeping, or an injury happens, ect. Look what Memphis did to Ole Miss last season. Or how SoCar was able to hang around with us last season.

Now I do agree we win and by about that score. But it can be overcome if we get caught sleeping, or an injury happens, ect. Look what Memphis did to Ole Miss last season. Or how SoCar was able to hang around with us last season.
I agree with an injury say to Dobbs or maybe Hurd but I don't see us sleepwalking against VT for two reasons. One is it's only the second game of the season and two it's going to be the largest crowd to ever watch a CFB game. The hype going into this game is going to be insane and you can bet Butch is going to have his team pumped up to no end for it.

Butch won't let them sleep walk into Bristol. Waaaayy too big of a stage. Tennessee will roll. Vols are way too fast and talented.

Op you might want to you tube the Ole Miss vs Memphis game from last year.

Not impressed with a guy that won 19 games in 2 seasons at Memphis? You're tough to impress

And one those 2015 wins was vs a 10 win OleMiss team that gave national champ Bama it's only loss....and he did it with a bunch of walkon WRs and QB that nobody wanted coming out of highschool. I don't know how good Fuente really is, but to not be impressed with what he did at lowly Memphis is to be hard headed and awfully difficult to impress IMO.

VN Store

Back