16 for '16: College football's most freakish athletes

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
16 for '16: College football's most freakish athletes | NFL.com

7. Jalen Hurd, RB, Tennessee

Class (size): Junior (6-4, 240)

At a massive size for his position, Hurd has nimble footwork and changes directions like a much smaller back when necessary. In the weight room, he can squat over 600 pounds. Then there is his speed, which he documented here via Instagram. After picking up 1,288 yards last year, he's the safest bet to lead the SEC East in rushing this fall.

Reactions: 12 people
I think he's gonna be even better this season, just a gut feeling. I can't wait to watch him.

Reactions: 5 people
Hurd will overtake Henry as the all time rushing leader at UT this season. The kid is a freak of nature.

2016 is going to have a TN squad that can run the ball better than any team in the history of the program.

Reactions: 5 people
There's some surprising guys on that list. A couple that I had not even heard of before. All the surprising ones were rated behind Hurd but still some weird stuff.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd be surprised if he got this many. I see too many carries for Kamara and Dobbs. He would get it if in Fornette or Chubb's situation.

I certainly hope that Dobbs carries drop off this year. Everyone knows what he can do. In the tough matchups, I would say he gets the full green light. But, hopefully in secured games and easy games he stays comfy in the pocket. I would assume our coache would like to see his carries drop off as well.

We need him healthy come the 2nd week of January.

Reactions: 2 people
He only needs about 1,025 I think? to claim all time yardage. Obviously if he matches last year's total, he's got it.

But with the load-share and I'm sure Butch will do what he can to get Kamara more tape for the draft, I'd expect Hurd to up his ypc more than his total yardage. If Butch and Co. make us a true two-headed monster at RB with Kamara reaching 1,000, I don't expect Hurd to have too many more yards. Add in that we have a new TE coach and one of Dobbs' favorite targets Croom is at TE now, we might have a more reliable passing game also taking yards away from the run game.

Just my $0.02

He only needs about 1,025 I think? to claim all time yardage. Obviously if he matches last year's total, he's got it.

But with the load-share and I'm sure Butch will do what he can to get Kamara more tape for the draft, I'd expect Hurd to up his ypc more than his total yardage. If Butch and Co. make us a true two-headed monster at RB with Kamara reaching 1,000, I don't expect Hurd to have too many more yards. Add in that we have a new TE coach and one of Dobbs' favorite targets Croom is at TE now, we might have a more reliable passing game also taking yards away from the run game.

Just my $0.02

UT's career rushing total is pretty low at just over 3000 yards. UT has had the luxury to split carries among several backs which is great for the team.

I think Hurd will break the record this season but Kamara will get his share as well.

I certainly hope that Dobbs carries drop off this year. Everyone knows what he can do. In the tough matchups, I would say he gets the full green light. But, hopefully in secured games and easy games he stays comfy in the pocket. I would assume our coache would like to see his carries drop off as well.

We need him healthy come the 2nd week of January.

Amen. Not only because we need him healthy, but also because roughly half his rushing yardage in 2015 was from called pass plays that broke down for one reason or another necessitating a scramble.

If he's getting most of the throws we want to get, his rushing yardage will be cut in half just as a matter of course.

I'd much rather Josh have 3,500 passing, 500 rushing, than him have 2,800 passing, 1,000 rushing.

UT's career rushing total is pretty low at just over 3000 yards.

I think Hurd will break the record this season but Kamara will get his share as well.

Agreed again. And UT's career rushing record at ~3,000 puts into context just how freakish McCaffrey's year was at Stanford, with something like 3,800 all-purpose yards in a single season. Jalen could break the UT record this fall, comfortably, and still not match in 3 years what McCaffrey did in one. Freakish. Just freakish.

Reactions: 3 people

Just my $0.02

Only needs 895 yds to pass Henry

I'd be surprised if he got this many. I see too many carries for Kamara and Dobbs. He would get it if in Fornette or Chubb's situation.

Hurd can possibly get that many without getting any extra carries next season if all of the offseason training pays off and he is able to turn some of those 15-20 yard runs into 50-60+ yard runs.

UT's career rushing total is pretty low at just over 3000 yards. UT has had the luxury to split carries among several backs which is great for the team.

I don't have it in front of me but, and this is shocking considering the talent we've had here at RB, (or in part because of) I believe our career rushing leader is dead last in the SEC.

Too many divided carries and injuries to the likes of Webb and Lewis kept that number down.

Reactions: 2 people
I had no idea how fast 23 mph for a human is until I looked it up. When Usain Bolt set the 100 meter world record, he ran it at a rate of 23 mph. I am not saying that Jalen is Usain Bolt fast, especially since Bolt had gotten up to 27 mph for one section of the sprint, but still, 23 mph is world class speed.

Usain Bolt MPH: Breaking Down Amazing Speed from Olympic Sprinter | Bleacher Report

Now, if we could just get Jalen to transfer his "world class speed" from a treadmill to a football field.....

16 for '16: College football's most freakish athletes | NFL.com

7. Jalen Hurd, RB, Tennessee

Class (size): Junior (6-4, 240)

At a massive size for his position, Hurd has nimble footwork and changes directions like a much smaller back when necessary. In the weight room, he can squat over 600 pounds. Then there is his speed, which he documented here via Instagram. After picking up 1,288 yards last year, he's the safest bet to lead the SEC East in rushing this fall.

600+ lb squat at his age, weight and height is very impressive.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back