Vols adding preferred walk-on DT

kamoshika

Joey Cave (6-5, 290) set to line up next to Paul Bain...

With his goal of playing at UT in front of him, Cave attended Pellissippi State Community College and worked out twice a day for the last several months. "My bench (press) has gone from 365 to 435, I'm squatting 550 and power cleaning over 300. I went from being a boy to a man."

Cave said he has retained his speed in the 40-yard dash despite gaining so much weight. "I was running (the 40) in the low 4.9s before. Now, I'm running in the high 4.9s."

Wes Jones, Cave's coach at Hardin Valley, said his former player has uncanny athletic ability for a big man.

Hardin Valley's Joey Cave grows into chance to play at UT

joey cave ‏@_Caveman52 Jun 15 Neyland Stadium
Blessed to say that I will be playing ball next season for THE University of Tennessee. #GBO 🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊🍊
https://twitter.com/_Caveman52/status/743162525865353217

Senior highlights: Senior Year - Joey Cave - OL/DL highlights - Hudl

Last edited:
Reactions: 26 people
Joey Cave (6-5, 290) set to line up next to Paul Bain...

With his goal of playing at UT in front of him, Cave attended Pellissippi State Community College and worked out twice a day for the last several months. "My bench (press) has gone from 365 to 435, I'm squatting 550 and power cleaning over 300. I went from being a boy to a man."

Cave said he has retained his speed in the 40-yard dash despite gaining so much weight. "I was running (the 40) in the low 4.9s before. Now, I'm running in the high 4.9s."

Wes Jones, Cave's coach at Hardin Valley, said his former player has uncanny athletic ability for a big man.

Hardin Valley's Joey Cave grows into chance to play at UT

Senior highlights: Senior Year - Joey Cave - OL/DL highlights - Hudl

He does look grown up.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 1 person
If he turns out to be the next big thing, we can call the OL Joey Cave and the Bad Seeds.

Reactions: 2 people
Good luck to him.. sounds like he haa the tools.. hope he has the desire.

I would say just the opposite: I'm sure he's got the desire, but does he have the talent? It's nice that he's strong, and perhaps runs decently--but that doesn't mean he's any good. I hope he is!

I wish him the best. Hope he surprises everyone and becomes a stud.

Reactions: 6 people
I would say just the opposite: I'm sure he's got the desire, but does he have the talent? It's nice that he's strong, and perhaps runs decently--but that doesn't mean he's any good. I hope he is!

Typical. Well He must be good enough that they are letting Him walk on. So He will be help one way or another,

Last edited:
I hope to hear his name frequently. Joey Cave just has a vibe to it, a Friends-meets-Flintstone kind of feel.

All this bashing....

A young man, willing to work hard, despite the odds, and a coaching staff willing to reward him with a non-scholly status to help him achieve his dream.....and all some of you can do is urinate on it.

We need a lot more young men like him in our society - if you haven't looked around in the last 10 years or so.

Good luck to him and God speed,

Reactions: 40 people
Looks like he has a motor and a nose for the ball. I wish the young man well. I hope he has a great career at UT and into the future.

Curious to see what the coaching staff can make of this kid with good coaching and D1 S&C program. Might not be talented enough to get much if any playing time, but could still benefit the team on the practice field.

Great teams need these kind of personalities on the team. Work hard, push others around him, bleed Orange.

He can only be an asset.

Reactions: 5 people
Dude's got the goods and with our coaching staff he'll be doing the Shoop de Shoop in no time. Good luck Joey and give'em hell...:rock:

GO VOLS!

All this bashing....

A young man, willing to work hard, despite the odds, and a coaching staff willing to reward him with a non-scholly status to help him achieve his dream.....and all some of you can do is urinate on it.

We need a lot more young men like him in our society - if you haven't looked around in the last 10 years or so.

Good luck to him and God speed,

Usually that comes from those who have overcome daunting obstacles in life to become highly successful themselves. You've probably just underestimated the football acumen and life accomplishments of this group of posters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
This might reflect on the Alexis Johnson situation regarding whether he is available or not and we need DT depth.

Paul Bain approves...

VN Store

Back