Shy Tuttle and Alexis Johnson updates

sanddune50

Per Hubbs

Everyone keeps asking about Shy Tuttle and rightfully so. He's an important piece to the puzzle for Bob Shoop. Everyone we have spoken with says Tuttle is hitting all of his benchmarks in his rehab early and is progressing well. That still doesn't mean he will be 100 percent by August or even week one but there remain plenty of optimism with the way things are going for him.

Speaking of defensive lineman, there's been some seeking an update on Alexis Johnson's status which is that there is nothing new. A couple different sources indicated this week that Johnson still has a University hearing of some kind to go through. We are trying to find out exactly what the remaining hurdles are for him as Johnson remains in school.

Reactions: 30 people
I expect Johnson back sometime this fall. I really hope Shy will be ready by September, but I'd have to imagine it's going to take a bit for him to be back in football ready shape.

Reactions: 1 person
if we don't have Shy or Johnson what would our DT rotation look like?

O'brien, Vickers, KMac taking most of the snaps. Maybe Picou can contribute.

If that's all we have to work with, I expect to see more packages with bigger DEs like Barnet, Kongbo, Phillips, or Lewis at DT in a 3 technique.

I expect Johnson back sometime this fall. I really hope Shy will be ready by September, but I'd have to imagine it's going to take a bit for him to be back in football ready shape.

I'm hoping the same for Tuttle. Kid had a lot of potential. I just hope this doesn't change that. Anytime you get hurt its gonna make a difference, but he's young so I'm hoping for the best.

Reactions: 2 people
O'brien, Vickers, KMac taking most of the snaps. Maybe Picou can contribute.

If that's all we have to work with, I expect to see more packages with bigger DEs like Barnet, Kongbo, Phillips, or Lewis at DT in a 3 technique.

Scary thin.

Scary thin.

Unless Tuttle comes back full force or KMac becomes a truly dominant DT as a sophomore, DT is the biggest worry for the defense, maybe for the whole team IMO. Barring either of those things happening, Shoop will have to get creative at times to keep teams from exploiting that.

Thanks for sharing the Update, OP.

CERTAINLY an area of concern...but...

HE GOT DIS!

11244554.jpeg

Reactions: 32 people
I'm hoping the same for Tuttle. Kid had a lot of potential. I just hope this doesn't change that. Anytime you get hurt its gonna make a difference, but he's young so I'm hoping for the best.

Yes he was fun to watch, hard worker...to be taken out of the game for Cheep shot... But what a cheep shot.

Brandon Kublanow C/OG Sr. 6-3 282 Marietta, GA (Walton)

I would love for this kid to miss his senior season..

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
DT is my only spot of concern on defense. If these two are back and Tuttle is healthy, that concern will be gone too.

Tuttle has done no running since the injury. Even if his leg is good to go by August, he will not be fit at all by the start of the season. And big guys take a long time to get fit. I can't see him being fit and full speed until the second half of the season, when all of our big games are behind us.

Reactions: 3 people
Tuttle has done no running since the injury. Even if his leg is good to go by August, he will not be fit at all by the start of the season. And big guys take a long time to get fit. I can't see him being fit and full speed until the second half of the season, when all of our big games are behind us.

Well, there is the possibility of some play-off football.

Yes he was fun to watch, hard worker...to be taken out of the game for Cheep shot... But what a cheep shot.

....Dude. You've got to be better than that.

Reactions: 9 people

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up redshirting.

There are other ways to do cardio besides running. Linemen don't run anyway. Their conditioning is based around high impact interval training which can be done on bikes and elliptical machines which are much less harsh than sprints and plyometric exercises. With them it's all about short bursts.

Reactions: 4 people

Two wrongs don't make a right.....

but...

Three rights make a left! :crazy:

At least we're in a position that we don't need Tuttle to come back that badly. O'Brien, Vickers, KMac and Picou will be a fine rotation for the first few weeks or so. I hope he just gets back to 100% without having to rush and potentially suffer a setback.

Shoop never had tackles near this level at Vandy and still managed to get pressure and have a top flight defense. Don't rush the big man back and injury him again. We should not need him until game 3 and last I heard he was full go last of July/ first of August.

Don't forget about mixon. He has two yrs in the system. And no pun intended but Bain can in fact play.

Reactions: 5 people
Yes, don't forget about Mixon and I know Tuttle is getting some pool work... great way to get no-impact cardio and fluidly work all muscles...

VN Store

Back