Breakout Player On Defense?

CamVol8

There could be many choices for this one. I'm going to go with Rashaan Gaulden. After sitting out last year I know he's got a chip on his shoulder to show he was the missing piece to that defense last year. Who else do you guys think will have a breakout season?

There could be many choices for this one. I'm going to go with Rashaan Gaulden. After sitting out last year I know he's got a chip on his shoulder to show he was the missing piece to that defense last year. Who else do you guys think will have a breakout season?

Paul Bain, and Kongbo.

Reactions: 4 people
Darren Kirkland Jr (unless you think that he has already broken out - he had 66 tackles last season which was 4th on the team)

Otherwise, how about Marquill Osborne?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I'm going to say Corey Vereen becomes a name every SEC team knows by mid season as a full time starter opposite Barnett.

I'll say Gaulden if you want a "newcomer", although we all know how talented he is.

I'm going with the OP on this one & say Gaulden. One other player that could claim this title is Kyle Phillips if he can stay healthy & get enough playing time.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm going to say Justin Martin. We saw glimpses last year but he will emerge as a huge weapon this year.

Agreed. If kongbo is as good as hyped watch out. My dark horse is Stephen Griffin though who steadily improved in Spring ball at a loaded backfield

I'm going to say Corey Vereen becomes a name every SEC team knows by mid season as a full time starter opposite Barnett.

I'll say Gaulden if you want a "newcomer", although we all know how talented he is.

I think Gaulden and Vereen are the best bets.

They could find themselves as surprise ALL-SEC selections like Dylan Weisman last season.

Gaulden and Vereen. I've been high on Vereen since he got here. Our pass rush is going to be absolutely nasty.

I think these are all good picks. I say watch out for Lewis coming into his senior year and Abernathy. he's gonna see plenty of time.

Good news is there are multiple good answers to the question. If half the guys mentioned improve as much as they should in an off season, then this D has potential to be really good.

Goodness gracious, our defense is so loaded. Vereen, Phillips, KMac, Taylor, Kirkland, Smith, Martin, TJ Jr, Gaulden are all very good choices... not to mention, we have established playmakers at every level of the defense in Barnett, JRM, and Sutton. Throw in the fact that we now have once of the best DCs in the nation, and this defense could easily be top two or three in the country.

Did I say anything about how ridiculously loaded our running attack will be as well? :)

If you're correct with this, then how are the DE snaps going to be split? If Taylor is blowing up then he has to be playing a lot.

Barnett (played nearly every meaningful DE snaps last 2 seasons)
Vereen
Lewis
Phillips
Kongbo
Mixon
Taylor
Butcher

Did I leave anyone out? That's a lot of talent to share those 2 positions.

edited to correct spelling that was so offensive to some.

Last edited:
Darren Kirkland Jr (unless you think that he has already broken out - he had 66 tackles last season which was 4th on the team)

Otherwise, how about Marquill Osborne?

It wouldn't surprise me to see Kirkland get close to a 100 total stops this year! He's going to be special, especially, in a more traditional 4-3 scheme.

VN Store

Back