Best Summitt remembrance: Sylvia Hatchell

armchair

UNC women's basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell is a contemporary of Pat Summitt and one of her best friends for many years. Hatchell was a basketball player at Carson Newman and played against PS when Summitt was at UT-Martin. They were at UT together as graduate assistants, then coached against each other for years. She talked to goheels.com today for 21 minutes about Summitt. It is quite the tribute from a Hall of Fame coach who herself has had health issues but, thankfully, is on the mend. This is wonderful--and a big thanks to goheels.com for the video. Where do you think the baby blue trim on UT's women's basketball uniforms comes from?

Hatchell Remembers Pat Summitt - University of North Carolina Tar Heels Official Athletic Site

Reactions: 8 people
This was fantastic, a great bit of insight from someone who's been there all the way, to to speak. Hatchell's stories gave a great reminder that for many of these coaches, their game was a shared responsibility. They worked as a group to bring their sport forward and into the spotlight. Everyone knew everyone, everyone sort of supported everyone, because they were all in it together. Such an interesting perspective.

UNC women's basketball coach Sylvia Hatchell is a contemporary of Pat Summitt and one of her best friends for many years. Hatchell was a basketball player at Carson Newman and played against PS when Summitt was at UT-Martin. They were at UT together as graduate assistants, then coached against each other for years. She talked to goheels.com today for 21 minutes about Summitt. It is quite the tribute from a Hall of Fame coach who herself has had health issues but, thankfully, is on the mend. This is wonderful--and a big thanks to goheels.com for the video. Where do you think the baby blue trim on UT's women's basketball uniforms comes from?

Hatchell Remembers Pat Summitt - University of North Carolina Tar Heels Official Athletic Site

Awww, come on armchair, we all know it is ' Pat's Eyes Blue'.

Reactions: 2 people
Awww, come on armchair, we all know it is ' Pat's Eyes Blue'.

Someone should start a thread of personal Pat Summit stories... Many of us met her, some several times,,, drop-in posters may like to read personal tales of this larger-than-life persona.

Too bad she had to include the comments about pat talking to the refs and then UNC losing to UT. I thought that was a tad low class.

Reactions: 1 person
Too bad she had to include the comments about pat talking to the refs and then UNC losing to UT. I thought that was a tad low class.

Sylvia is going to be Sylvia. You just have to take her as she is; Pat did:). She has lots of good points too.

Reactions: 4 people

First, Hatchell wasn't in any way being critical. She was saying that Summitt was intimidating at times--and could intimidate officials, and that is absolutely true. I saw UT under PS win many a big game by getting a lot of foul shots in the last 5/10 minutes of a game. Coaches work officials, and good/great coaches and teams will get calls that lesser teams won't. Hatchell is simply remembering a couple of very tough losses to UT in the NCAA tournament--and that's her prerogative.

Reactions: 6 people
First, Hatchell wasn't in any way being critical. She was saying that Summitt was intimidating at times--and could intimidate officials, and that is absolutely true. I saw UT under PS win many a big game by getting a lot of foul shots in the last 5/10 minutes of a game. Coaches work officials, and good/great coaches and teams will get calls that lesser teams won't. Hatchell is simply remembering a couple of very tough losses to UT in the NCAA tournament--and that's her prerogative.

exactly. There was nothing low class or jealous about it. If you didn't know that's how Pat operated, you might as well quit posting about the matter. Hatchell was just stating facts and telling us who Pat Summitt was.

Someone should start a thread of personal Pat Summit stories... Many of us met her, some several times,,, drop-in posters may like to read personal tales of this larger-than-life persona.

Start it, Coach:). Most of mine would take too long and probably are the "you had to be there" type. But I will say this, I caught the stare one time...never knew if it was a glancing shot or a ricochet; Mickie was with her and looked scared to death (I swear, I was just in the right place at the wrong time:eek:hmy:!). I think I don't intimidate easily, but wow! Believe me, I backed up.

And that said, yes, she was a sweet heart.

Hatchell pointed out that Pat spoke to the refs and intimated that that is why UNC then lost twice. If you don't think that was whining then I can't help you.

She didn't need to add that to her tribute to Pat. I'd highly doubt you ever hear the same from CPS.

Hatchell pointed out that Pat spoke to the refs and intimated that that is why UNC then lost twice. If you don't think that was whining then I can't help you.

She didn't need to add that to her tribute to Pat. I'd highly doubt you ever hear the same from CPS.

lol. You're funny. Pat's known world wide for her stare and intimidation and you want to pee all over yourself because someone talks about it.

no, but the timing of it was in bad taste , IMHO.

No. If you're going to remember someone, you're going to remember them. Nothing more, nothing less. She didn't say it with spite or malice, just laughed it off, knowing that's part of the game.

Would Pat have said it?

Hatchell spends 20 minutes lauding PS--her dear friend for 40 years--and a few numbskulls here want to criticize her for mentioning--without the least hint of malice--that Summitt and the Vols got some favorable calls at key moments? First, if you watched UT games back in the day, when the Vols and PS were at their peak, you know it is absolutely true. Second, as mentioned, Hatchell simply mentions it in a light-hearted way. Her point about PS being intimidating was spot on. Stop being so parochial and dumb and appreciate that Hatchell and UNC spent 20 minutes videotaping a tribute. Good grief, what a bunch of weenies.

My memory of Pat Summitt is that she was one of the straightest shooters out there. She absolutely would've said the good, bad and indifferent about anyone she was remembering that fondly.

First, if you watched UT games back in the day, when the Vols and PS were at their peak, you know it is absolutely true.

This. Summitt at her fiery peak could stare down anyone on the court, and you best believe that included the refs.

And I suppose she blamed losses on others coaches messing with the refs?

Give it up.

I'm surprised you haven't called her a Lesbo

RIP Coach. Coach Hatchell clearly thought of you as a dear friend and obviously had a tremendous amount of respect for you as a person and as a coach.

excellent insight. This is one of the areas we are now very lacking in... working the refs properly is just as important in a game as any other aspect of it

Working the ref on a call is great strategy to get a favorable call when needed later...Human psychology is to be liked, that is why the home team usually gets the most favorable calls.....Pat was a master at intimidating a ref with that stare.

Give it up.

I'm surprised you haven't called her a Lesbo

RIP Coach. Coach Hatchell clearly thought of you as a dear friend and obviously had a tremendous amount of respect for you as a person and as a coach.

I haven't called her anything. I just gave my opinion that I found her remarks about getting beaten because of refs calling things UT's way because of Pat distasteful.

None of you hatchel apologists are gonna make me change my mind either. So, you give it up. :)

VN Store

Back