How's the turf looking?

ManchesterV

I am not a typical thread starter, but I haven't seen it anywhere. How is the turf looking this deep into summer? I know a lot of effort was put in to fixing the issues from last season, but I haven't seen any news.

Reactions: 4 people
I am not a typical thread starter, but I haven't seen it anywhere. How is the turf looking this deep into summer? I know a lot of effort was put in to fixing the issues from last season, but I haven't seen any news.

What did they do different this time? They ripped out the old and re-sodded it after the O&W game...I know that much.

Did they change the type of sod, base layer?

What did they do different this time? They ripped out the old and re-sodded it after the O&W game...I know that much.

Did they change the type of sod, base layer?

I don't know. I just read in the spring that had consulted with all types of turf "experts". Hoping somebody had some insight.

I believe UT has a pretty strong turf management program, and when I was there a bunch of the players were majoring in it. I'm surprised with that being a program on offer at our school that we have had so many struggles with it.

Reactions: 2 people
Too much water was the culprit last year. UT needs to step it up to Zoysia grass and cut it down like Augusta. Playing on Zoysia fairways would be a beautiful site. GBO

Pretty sure Augusta National is Bermuda overseeded with rye.

Zoysia is used on some soccer fields but for football it wouldn't repair quick enough. I know some golf courses use zoysia types but an iron shot is nothing compared to football cleats.

Reactions: 3 people
Too much water was the culprit last year. UT needs to step it up to Zoysia grass and cut it down like Augusta. Playing on Zoysia fairways would be a beautiful site. GBO

I think they just need to install a new base with better drainage, honestly. Did they ever tear up the old AstroTurf base? Typically, it was concrete, but wih artificial, you put grating, sand, etc on top to drain. With natural, that concrete will cause drainage issues, because you cant "float" it, per say.

6973.detail.a.jpg

Yes the concrete was removed when the turf was removed. New plumbing, rock, sand, grass was all installed. Issue was not concrete related.

I fell for the Zoysia hype some years back. Only place it took off is brown most of the year. Grows tall rest of time. So much for good coverage and less mowing.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe UT has a pretty strong turf management program, and when I was there a bunch of the players were majoring in it. I'm surprised with that being a program on offer at our school that we have had so many struggles with it.

From what I've read, we lost our long turf expert and hired new leadership 2-3 years ago. Our turf used to look like carpet fit for a king deep into the season. Last season was an utter disaster and embarrassment. If head(s) did not roll, then we have incompetent leadership. If the same situation occurs this year, then heads need to roll farther up the management tree IMO.

UT is not on a junior college budget or trying to get grass to grow near the arctic circle in the fall here.

From what I've read, we lost our long turf expert and hired new leadership 2-3 years ago. Our turf used to look like carpet fit for a king deep into the season. Last season was an utter disaster and embarrassment. If head(s) did not roll, then we have incompetent leadership. If the same situation occurs this year, then heads need to roll farther up the management tree IMO.

UT is not on a junior college budget or trying to get grass to grow near the arctic circle in the fall here.

I agree.

VN Store

Back