Jerod Evans - should we be worried?

Carlitovol

::Straight cash homey::
So Fuente named J Evans QB1 yesterday.. I did some research on this guy, and he appears to be the real deal - especially under the tutelage of an offensive Guru like Fuente. He was the #1 rated Dual Threat JUCO QB during last year's cycle.

Here are his stats from JUCO (Trinity Valley, TX) last year:
Games: 8
Passing Yards: 3,164
Passing Yards / Game: 395.5
Passing TDs: 38
INTs: 3
Rushing Yards: 414 on 77 attempts, 4 TDs

For comparison purposes, here are Cam Newton's single-season stats at Blinn Community College (same JUCO region in TX as Trinity Valley) >>
Games: 12
Passing Yards: 2,833
Passing Yards / Game: 236
Passing TDs: 22
INTs: 5
Rushing Yards: 655 on 108 carries, 16 TDs

I do realize that he is still an unknown commodity in big-time college football.. But those are some gaudy numbers, especially when you compare them to Newton's.

I just wonder how much this guy will change the complexion of the game, in terms of his playmaking ability etc.

I'm confident in our defense with the playmakers we have, as well as Shoop handling the Xs and Os. However, talented DT QBs always give me heartburn. Not only that, this will be our first big test on a VERY big stage.

Based on VT's defensive production last year, I don't think our O will have any problems scoring points. My fear is that this one becomes a high-scoring shootout, similar to the first half of the Bowling Green game last season where our secondary kept getting torched...

What say ye, VN ?? Should we be worried ?

Reactions: 2 people
Tech has literally no offensive line. They keep talking about how those guys are all returning, but returning a bunch of fat dudes that suck isn't a help.

Until Tech actually shows that they can put together a semblance of a competent offense, they can have Michael Vick back and I won't buy anything.

Reactions: 8 people
He certainly makes that offense much more dynamic. I like to think the atmosphere and our attacking defense will make for a very scattered performance from him, but if he shines under the brightest lights he could make this game very uncomfortable.

Reactions: 1 person
Of course we should be worried - its football where anything can happen on a given day.

Odds are still heavily in our favor with V Tech however regardless of who plays QB for them. Remember it is a team sport.

Reactions: 4 people
I just told you. He plays undisciplined ball, he coaches undisciplined ball. He takes too many high risk chances and his teams are sloppy.

If our secondary was like it was last year I'd be more worried. That being said, it isn't; depth all over the secondary. If he wants to scramble, JRM and Gaulden will find him in less than a second. They're like heat seeking missiles, so fun to watch (most referring to JRM since Gaulden's only recent game film is the O&W game).

I just told you. He plays undisciplined ball, he coaches undisciplined ball. He takes too many high risk chances and his teams are sloppy.

I got that, but I haven't watched enough Memphis football to see that. Do you have some examples?

I don't think he'll be a savior for Tech, either, but I'd like some ammunition here.

We will know a little more after Tech plays Liberty. We will know at least what kind of offense they are running (Zone Read spread or 60/40 pass spread)

I got that, but I haven't watched enough Memphis football to see that. Do you have some examples?

I don't think he'll be a savior for Tech, either, but I'd like some ammunition here.

You are going to have to go watch the memphis games last year. Mistakes all over the field that left huge chunks of yardage on the grass. Penalties everywhere in critical situations. He's one of those guys trying to bring high school ball to the college field. He rides lady luck 24-7 no matter the consequences in hopes of capturing momentum and winning games by playing volume.

You are going to have to go watch the memphis games last year. Mistakes all over the field that left huge chunks of yardage on the grass. Penalties everywhere in critical situations. He's one of those guys trying to bring high school ball to the college field. He rides lady luck 24-7 no matter the consequences in hopes of capturing momentum and winning games by playing volume.

I'll see what I can find. I think he benefited greatly from having Lynch. Otherwise his records and performances don't look that impressive on paper.

Tennessee's JUCO answer...

kongbo_1.jpg

Reactions: 24 people

I'll just say that if Butch coaches like Hugh Freeze did against Memphis last year we are in trouble against Tech. Have to run the ball down there throat. Go watch the Navy vs Memphis game.

If our defense has managed to shut down our offense in scrimmages like we've heard, then VT shouldn't be too worrisome.

Reactions: 2 people
Has he played anywhere else besides high school and JUCO? Just wondering if his first big, "real" game will be against our defense, at night, in front of 160k, in the middle of a fricking race track...

Reactions: 3 people
I'll just say that if Butch coaches like Hugh Freeze did against Memphis last year we are in trouble against Tech. Have to run the ball down there throat. Go watch the Navy vs Memphis game.

I'm not worried about us running down anyone's throat- that's kind of our thing under Butch.

EDIT: Check out these rushing stats- CLICK

Last edited:

They beat Ole Miss and that was impressive enough to me to worry... If this game was next season. Ive not seen a UT team so focused, hungry and practicing really well... Not to mention the balance everywhere. If UT comes out hot like they did in the 1st half of the games last year, I really see them putting the hammer down in the 2nd to erase that negative view of UT being a terrible 2nd half team. And its not like VT was ever an offensive team anyway.

If our secondary was like it was last year I'd be more worried. That being said, it isn't; depth all over the secondary. If he wants to scramble, JRM and Gaulden will find him in less than a second. They're like heat seeking missiles, so fun to watch (most referring to JRM since Gaulden's only recent game film is the O&W game).

Last year's Vol secondary did have real problems early in the season but greatly improved. Recall gasping as Bowling Green QB & receivers completed all those back shoulder throws in the Nashville game. Much more depth, individual talent, experience & SHOOP! :hi:

Tech has literally no offensive line. They keep talking about how those guys are all returning, but returning a bunch of fat dudes that suck isn't a help.

Until Tech actually shows that they can put together a semblance of a competent offense, they can have Michael Vick back and I won't buy anything.
iu

VN Store

Back