Practice Updates 8.28.16

Fingers

Patrick Brown: In green in practice today: JRM, Hurd, Kamara, Fils-aime, Jennings, Byrd, BJohnson, ASmith and Foreman.

On the defensive line, I really think Shy Tuttle will be able to give them quality snaps come Thursday. I don't know how many but he continues to look good. Alexis Johnson was moving good as well and even though he's still out of shape I don't think it's too far removed to think he can give you some snaps come Thursday.

Butch really challenged the receivers to focus in while I was watching them. Really wanted them to concentrate on each rep.
Fort

Good news with Kyle Phillips back out on the practice field and NOT in a green jersey. Shy Tuttle continues to look like he is progressing and moving around quite well.

Before practice got kicked off, we saw Marquez Callaway beat Justin Martin and Jarrett Guarantano defeat Zac Jancek in the circle of life. We also saw Alexis Johnson get two runs in the circle in battling Nathan Niehaus and Ryan Johnson (battle of the Johnson's per CBJ over the mic). Very important to see anyone of note on the practice field. It's safe to say that Alexis Johnson is going to help this team and likely sooner rather than later.
Austin Price

Interestingly, Alexis Johnson was not in a scout team jersey. He's not in shape, but you wonder if he might not be a possibility to play Thursday night. My guess is probably not, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Jones started the practice with the circle of life drill that even had Jarrett Guarantano going against Jack Jancek as the Vols worked in shorts and shoulder pads. Maybe the most impressive win was Marquez Callaway in round 2 beat Justin Martin.

The receivers continue to show improved consistency as there were very few balls on the ground in routes versus air.

Bottom line to me, this team is ready to play.
Hubbs

However, the trio of Kyle Phillips, Shy Tuttle and Alexis Johnson each was in a white jersey, typically signifying those players are expected to play on the defensive side of the ball. Latrell Williams was in a standard orange jersey, seemingly full-go at practice.
Brice

The head coach called Alexis Johnson out for two consecutive match-ups to start things off, pairing him with Ryan Johnson and then Nathan Niehaus. Johnson appeared to more than hold his own in both match-ups but there wasn’t a definitive winner as we sometimes see.

Other match-ups Jones called for were Justin Martin and Marquez Callaway, which Callaway appeared to win decisively, Elliot Berry and Quarte Sapp, Jeff George and Nigel Warrior and Jarrett Guarantano against Zac Jancek with Guarantano shoving Jancek around pretty good to the delight of his teammates.
Also it looked like D.J. Henderson is starting off on the scout team, a bit of a surprise as it appears the junior college transfer has been passed by several younger teammates.
Lewis

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQUfNdN4u8Y[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtu.be/dZ_CD0b5XXY[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 63 people
p84dy_s-200x150.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Awesome news all around, thanks Fingers! One question-- so are all the guys listed in green jerseys just precautionary or just banged up a bit, not including CFA (hand/wrist)? Any new word on JRM's shoulder?

Sitting in the media room. Media had 4 periods plus stretching today, but no photos or video in 2 & 3. Pretty much got to see the same drills we always see. My observations:

-9 players in green jerseys, but some were just precautionary (Hurd, Kamara)

-Guarantano beat Jancek in the circle of life drill so that was pretty fun

-QBs were doing an accuracy drill from about the 25-30 yd line and had to throw a corner endzone ball into a net. Dobbs was pretty much robotic as he would make it within the first or second try every time.

-Alexis Johnson was playing a little slow, and by a little I mean Coach Stripling dropping f-bombs at him (even threatened to send him to scout team for walking/playing slow)

-Warrior is continuing to look sharp at safety. Had some good catches on a tracking drill. Abernathy was also looking good.

-We look ready to play and I think this team is going to outlast and outplay pretty much every opponent. Just so much speed, size, and depth across the board which is something we haven't seen in years.

Reactions: 50 people
DeBord is still spending a ton of time with the O-Line I see. He's really putting his imprint on them.

Reactions: 2 people
Kendrick and wiseman appear to be playing rock papers scissors shoot........I've yet to see them

They are talked about all the time, no problems at all. Watch sports source today and you will get a good segment about them and the o line

Niehaus looking stout! Still hoping we redshirt him...may not have that luxury.

Reactions: 1 person
We look ready to play and I think this team is going to outlast and outplay pretty much every opponent. Just so much speed, size, and depth across the board which is something we haven't seen in years.

Thanks HardKnoxVol for the report. I think your last quote is really significant. Each of CBJ's years here, we have seen steady growth in the team in all phases. Finally, we are seeing the fruits of their labor. Team 120 is poised to achieve. CBJ has always had his teams ready to compete. Thursday should be fun.

I'm impressed that Johnson has been able to contribute this early in practice. I'm sure CSS will be in his face a lot trying to get him to play through his fatigue. He'll come around.

Did you get to see K-Mac in drills? How is his pad level?

Reactions: 2 people
-9 players in green jerseys, but some were just precautionary (Hurd, Kamara)

What are exactly the reasons to be precautionary for both Hurd & Kamara? What is their injuries or should I say tweaks? Thanks!

VN Store

Back