Hall and Jones (Appreciation Thread)

Jxn Vol

I did not see these guys discussed amongst all the other post game threads. This is for these 2 guys that will be anchors for years to come.

It is amazing how much stability these 2 guys provide to our line.

Reactions: 10 people
I did not see these guys discussed amongst all the other post game threads. This is for these 2 guys that will be anchors for years to come.

Mentioned this in another thread. Totally agree. This is an entirely different O Line with Weisman at center, JJ and CH on the right. Combination of good chemistry and plain old nasty attitudes.

I think the OP is right and there really should be no question that this OL is better with Jones and Hall on the right side.... but honestly after rewatching the game... they didn't play as well as the left side.

That said, the WHOLE OL should get a TON of credit. They played well and protected Dobbs well for most of the night against a very talented D. The run game wasn't great but they opened enough creases to make it credible and to give the O balance.

Dobbs to his great credit managed the pocket well almost every time AND stood in to deliver the ball while taking some shots.

*** If you rewatch the game, keep in mind that UT leaves some players unblocked by design. The plays are designed to either influence that player, run by them, or option off of them. It isn't always a missed assignment when someone appears to go unblocked.

Reactions: 2 people
I am very appreciative that they had the willpower to come back and win that game. 12 straight was too much to take. It was no fluke or last second play making the outcome up for debate. It was complete domination offensively and defensively. Thanks, won't forget it.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the OP is right and there really should be no question that this OL is better with Jones and Hall on the right side.... but honestly after rewatching the game... they didn't play as well as the left side.

That said, the WHOLE OL should get a TON of credit. They played well and protected Dobbs well for most of the night against a very talented D. The run game wasn't great but they opened enough creases to make it credible and to give the O balance.

Dobbs to his great credit managed the pocket well almost every time AND stood in to deliver the ball while taking some shots.

*** If you rewatch the game, keep in mind that UT leaves some players unblocked by design. The plays are designed to either influence that player, run by them, or option off of them. It isn't always a missed assignment when someone appears to go unblocked.

You my friend are dead RIGHT. Also watched the game yesterday and in particular watched the OL in slow motion. Entire line was very good especially considering the completion but the right side was not as solid as the left. JR was back to his old self with a solid LT in Kendrick and center in DW after having to deal with the debacle that was DR and CT on either side. CH is a great improvement at RT and that helped the entire line. Be interesting to see if CT breaks back into this lineup going forward. If he does then JJ will sit again but I don't expect that given the improvement.

Reactions: 2 people

Did Dobbs, the WR's + Hurd + Kamara have a spectacular day? Yes. And this (thankfully) is why we didn't hear much about the OL as we did weeks 1-3.

But I know your point -- Thanks and Thank you OL !!

Reactions: 1 person
the one who really needs the apology is Kendrick. Kid has had to switch sides, and listen to all the Richmond crap. fans ripping his abilities with nothing to base that on other than star ratings. Very excited to see what he can do settling in at LT and hopefully staying healthy.

Reactions: 5 people

True on some of the run plays, but when Dobbs drops straight back and a DL blows up the OL in front of him like we saw so often in the first 3 games then its not by design. I'm amazed how returning Hall to the mix appeared to solidify the OL. They had regressed so much from their level of play the last half of 2015. With Hall back they returned to respectability. Not outstanding, but not the dumpster fire we saw earlier in 2016. Let's hope the current lineup can stay healthy at least for the next 3 games.

the one who really needs the apology is Kendrick. Kid has had to switch sides, and listen to all the Richmond crap. fans ripping his abilities with nothing to base that on other than star ratings. Very excited to see what he can do settling in at LT and hopefully staying healthy.

I would love to see how he graded out. He had an awesome day from a surface view.

True on some of the run plays, but when Dobbs drops straight back and a DL blows up the OL in front of him like we saw so often in the first 3 games then its not by design.
Actually some of it is. OT's on both sides blocked down on numerous pass plays. I think those were supposed to be RPO's or set ups for RPO's or else they expected the DE to run with or be influenced by the RB flaring out.
I'm amazed how returning Hall to the mix appeared to solidify the OL. They had regressed so much from their level of play the last half of 2015. With Hall back they returned to respectability. Not outstanding, but not the dumpster fire we saw earlier in 2016. Let's hope the current lineup can stay healthy at least for the next 3 games.
Agree. And when you add the perspective that they were playing against by far the most talented front 7 they've seen.... I think we should feel a lot better about them going forward.

UGA isn't anywhere close to UF's talent in the front 7.

Actually some of it is. OT's on both sides blocked down on numerous pass plays. I think those were supposed to be RPO's or set ups for RPO's or else they expected the DE to run with or be influenced by the RB flaring out.

I'm sure you can find a play or 2 like this, but I know you saw Richmond, Roberson, and Thomas repeatedly getting schooled - not a man running free unblocked. Jones and Hall in, Richmond and Thomas out and now the OL appears to be somewhat holding their own. Earlier in the year this OL was just bad and there were no making any excuses.

VN Store

Back