Update on Kirkland and JRM

VolnJC

Tennessee coach Butch Jones expects one key linebacker to play this week as the Vols make their first road trip of the season to rival Georgia, while Jones also didn't completely rule out the return of another key defender.

Thought he played only sparingly in Saturday's come-from-behind win against nemesis Florida, senior linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin is expected to play, according to Jones.

As for sophomore Darrin Kirkland Jr.? He's showing progress as well.

"We'll know a little bit more about Darrin later in the week," Jones said. "He's finally doing some land-running, pool running. Very encouraging.

"We fully anticipate Jalen to play in the game. He wanted to be a part of it, wanted to be in the game. Even put himself back in the game. I think the week of recovery he had last week he should be stronger and more ready to go this week."

Kirkland injured his right ankle in the Vols' comeback win against Virginia Tech in the 'Battle at Bristol' and hasn't played since that contest. He was in a walking boot Saturday on the Vols' sideline.

"I would say Darrin would be questionable to doubtful," Jones said in his Monday press conference. "Fully expect Jalen to play."

Reactions: 3 people
I'd like to see a snap count for JRM this year...I'd bet it's probably under 100.

Agreed. I would like to see him get another week of full rest if not let him work a few series to keep him active and turn him lose against ATM and Bama. I think its crucial that we have a guy like JRM playing when we Play the next two important games. I know theyre all important but getting 1 of 2 seals it IMO.

Agreed. I would like to see him get another week of full rest if not let him work a few series to keep him active and turn him lose against ATM and Bama. I think its crucial that we have a guy like JRM playing when we Play the next two important games. I know theyre all important but getting 1 of 2 seals it IMO.

I completely agree. I would rest JRM and hopefully they both come back full strength at A&M, who is starting to look scary good.

Reactions: 1 person
I completely agree. I would rest JRM and hopefully they both come back full strength at A&M, who is starting to look scary good.

It will be huge if those two are back to even 80 percent by A&M.

Agree on both accounts.
I think we're more than capable of weathering the storm until 2 weeks from now. Maybe I am not giving UGA enough credit. I just don't think they are a good football team from any stand point. We should Roll them if we play ball like the 2nd half of the Florida game. If we can afford to I think it would benefit Tennessee to rest them and turn them loose but I am sure butch plugs him in this week and watches how he performs.

If DK comes back do you rotate DK and Jumper in given situations since hes proven himself to a degree?

If DK comes back do you rotate DK and Jumper in given situations since hes proven himself to a degree?

I am sure Shoop will put us in the best position possible. I think that Jumper plays. He did an excellent job in the biggest game of the year so far. He also did a great job calling the defensive side of the ball. Got guys in position to make plays. What you want in a Mike backer

Reactions: 4 people
I am sure Shoop will put us in the best position possible. I think that Jumper plays. He did an excellent job in the biggest game of the year so far. He also did a great job calling the defensive side of the ball. Got guys in position to make plays. What you want in a Mike backer

Jumper came to play and is improving week by week.

I've heard from reliable sources (anyone familiar with LWS on here?) that JRM is having a lot of trouble out of his shoulders and he's just going to give it a shot. He's not exactly better. Apparently it's seeming like a problem that's going to continue.

Yup. They should see how the UGA game goes, and if UT can play well on Defense without JRM. Then just sit him till A&M.

Reactions: 2 people

Not anymore than the injury to Kirkland or what the game dictates such as a blowout. In a blow out, you would take Kirkland out. If Kirkland is 100 percent, he is far better than Jumper. But, Jumper's progress makes you feel better about your depth there than what we did anytime during the off season. However, he is still the back up.

GA is way more important than A&M-- GA is for winning the east .... If he can play Saturday, go for it, rest him A&M and then go full speed at Bama...

Reactions: 2 people
Guys, the UGA game is much bigger than the TX AM game. We need to lock up the East. That TX AM game I care the least about.

UGA is bigger only in the sense that it is next. But you better care about A&M. Divisional title is based on the best overall SEC record. We have the tougher path through the West than Florida.

Reactions: 5 people
GA is way more important than A&M-- GA is for winning the east .... If he can play Saturday, go for it, rest him A&M and then go full speed at Bama...

All SEC games matter in the race for the East. That said, head-to-head wins UF and UGA gives us a huge, huge advantage.

Agree on both accounts.
I think we're more than capable of weathering the storm until 2 weeks from now. Maybe I am not giving UGA enough credit. I just don't think they are a good football team from any stand point. We should Roll them if we play ball like the 2nd half of the Florida game. If we can afford to I think it would benefit Tennessee to rest them and turn them loose but I am sure butch plugs him in this week and watches how he performs.
That phrase/wording just doesn't sound right for the VOLS! That is too close to bama slurp. Agree with everything else though! :good!:

Big shout out to Colton and Cortez. Colton really stepped up this week. And Cortez has been good all year. Depth and interchangeability win titles.

Cortez is a quite capable backup. I think we will be fine with him, especially if JRM is playing tentatively.

Against Jawja, Jumper will be fine. I am much more worried against A&M as they have a very mobile QB. I believe that Jumper's weakness, compared to Kirkland, really shows against mobile QBs, which is why we saw a dropoff against the first 3 opponents, but not so much against Fla.

We really need Kirkland back against A&M.

Reactions: 1 person
Not anymore than the injury to Kirkland or what the game dictates such as a blowout. In a blow out, you would take Kirkland out. If Kirkland is 100 percent, he is far better than Jumper. But, Jumper's progress makes you feel better about your depth there than what we did anytime during the off season. However, he is still the back up.

Yes Kirkland is just more dynamic than Jumper but Jumper knows the D as much as anybody on the team. They have been rotating some all year even before the injury not 50/50 but I would say it was 80 to 90% Kirkland for the App game. Kirkland will be all SEC next year if he stay healthy. Then off to NFL

Guys, the UGA game is much bigger than the TX AM game. We need to lock up the East. That TX AM game I care the least about.
Exactly where my head is. UGA is THE game to get the East under our control. Bang those guys up good and we find out how good A&M actually is.

VN Store

Back