One NFL Scout Suggests JRM Should Come Back To Tennessee

KBVol

NFL analyst suggests Tennessee LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin should return to school in 2017

When Tennessee linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin met with the media to announce he underwent season-ending shoulder surgery, he said he may consider obtaining a medical redshirt that would grant him eligibility for 2017.

One NFL analyst seems to be on board with that idea.

Reeves-Maybin recorded a team-high 13 tackles in the only full game he played this season, but a shoulder injury hampered him since then. NFL analyst Lance Zierlein thinks the senior’s recent injury, combined with his relative lack of size at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, will damage his stock if he decides to enter the NFL draft.

“If he has any medical red flags at all, plus lack of size, that’s a recipe for going undrafted,” Zierlein told NFL.com. “… He’s got a skill set that will translate to the NFL whether he comes out this year or next year. But the most important thing for him is to be fully healthy whenever he comes out. That gives him the best chance to be an active participant on a two-deep roster.”

The Volunteers and coach Butch Jones would surely love to have Reeves-Maybin back in Knoxville for another year.

That might be in the best interest of his career, too.

Reactions: 25 people
NFL analyst suggests Tennessee LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin should return to school in 2017

When Tennessee linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin met with the media to announce he underwent season-ending shoulder surgery, he said he may consider obtaining a medical redshirt that would grant him eligibility for 2017.

One NFL analyst seems to be on board with that idea.

Reeves-Maybin recorded a team-high 13 tackles in the only full game he played this season, but a shoulder injury hampered him since then. NFL analyst Lance Zierlein thinks the senior’s recent injury, combined with his relative lack of size at 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, will damage his stock if he decides to enter the NFL draft.

“If he has any medical red flags at all, plus lack of size, that’s a recipe for going undrafted,” Zierlein told NFL.com. “… He’s got a skill set that will translate to the NFL whether he comes out this year or next year. But the most important thing for him is to be fully healthy whenever he comes out. That gives him the best chance to be an active participant on a two-deep roster.”

The Volunteers and coach Butch Jones would surely love to have Reeves-Maybin back in Knoxville for another year.

That might be in the best interest of his career, too.

If he's not going to be a first or second round pick, he should come back. Having a big year next year would only add worth for him as a pick.

I think he needs to look at maggit. If he'd had another year just to show he could get healthy. It would've helped him.

Reactions: 1 person
hasn't JRM already had one or two other surgeries (at least another one on his shoulder)?

GO VOLS!

So how does this guy, Zierlein, rank among his colleagues...is he a scrub or legit?

This would obviously be good for us but it still sucks for JRM VFL!

hasn't JRM already had one or two other surgeries (at least another one on his shoulder)?

GO VOLS!

Hell, Roller, damn near every player has at least one during his career.

But this is the first one that caused him to miss significant time.

Reactions: 3 people
Unless you've been recruited over and won't see more playing time OR you don't foresee getting drafted until Rounds 3 or 4 or later, you need to stay in school, every time. Buy the insurance and stay in school.

Reactions: 3 people
If he's not going to be a first or second round pick, he should come back. Having a big year next year would only add worth for him as a pick.

I think he needs to look at maggit. If he'd had another year just to show he could get healthy. It would've helped him.

Maggitt was already here five years. He might have been approved for another season, but he wasn't getting younger. How many 25 or 26 year old rookies do you see at LB?

But JRM, at his size? IMO, he could add to his resume.

I doubt he will stay unless he is projected 4th or later.

I don't see how he's projected highly with as little as we have seen him this year. I know he can go to the combine and have a good showing but he's been hurt much of this season. I think it would do him good to see another year in Knoxville as well.

Staying another year is NOT going to make him a bigger player or improve his draft position, IMO. He's not going to be high pick this year or next year--he'll still be perceived as too small to be an early-round pick and with shoulder issues. That said, if his current shoulder issue means he might not be drafted at all, then maybe he considers returning. But I very much doubt that playing college ball for another year will significantly boost his draft stock.

Hell, Roller, damn near every player has at least one during his career.

But this is the first one that caused him to miss significant time.

:eek:lol:...yeah, no doubt...just thought that may be his second shoulder surgery...if so, might effect draft status even further...wouldn't hurt my feelings if JRM came back...oh, heck no...:)

GO VOLS!

Remember that JRM stayed this year in order to improve his draft stock.

Seems like a tough decision. Doing all of that over again for the same reasons seems like a hard sell to me. He is a great human being to my knowledge and I hope he has success in whatever he goes on to do at UT and elsewhere.

Reactions: 2 people
He was very high on Kippers draft board at start of season at his position. No idea where he is at on any boards now.

I want him to get paid...even 4th round+ $ is good $...

Then go make his name in the league...happens every year.

Remember that JRM stayed this year in order to improve his draft stock.

Seems like a tough decision. Doing all of that over again for the same reasons seems like a hard sell to me. He is a great human being to my knowledge and I hope he has success in whatever he goes on to do at UT and elsewhere.
Very true maybe he should have went last year but maybe it was size I don't no 4 sure. Just want the best for him

I want him to get paid...even 4th round+ $ is good $...

Then go make his name in the league...happens every year.

Exactly. I still think he would get taken on day 3.

But it's not not an easy decision. I would say go that money. Just with his special teams ability he will make a roster.

The guy has plenty of tape nothing else to prove and likely will be a worse team next season. He's given everything for Tennessee go get paid JRM

I saw the LB for the Steelers, I think he came out with an injury, but he was listed at 5'11. He played college at Oregon.

I would love for him to come back, but if I were advising him, I would say to go pro.

VN Store

Back