Watching Shoop's Defense against Penn State

Fijivol72

I see way too many similarities for Penn State, not setting the edge time and time again. Just by my observations he is no defensive genius.

Reactions: 2 people
Dang didn't know Bob was coaching Penn State also this year. No wonder he sucked it up big time..

Reactions: 3 people
It wasn't Shoop's defense when PSU played well in the regular season, but now that they're sucking it's Shoop's defense again. Thank you, Vol Nation.

Reactions: 3 people
Are you seeing what I'm seeing? PSU defense looks decent--a hell of a lot better than Tennessee's defense. Makes me wonder if most of Shoop's great success in the past was really Franklin's success.

Looks like Shoop may have screwed up.

Are you seeing what I'm seeing? PSU defense looks decent--a hell of a lot better than Tennessee's defense. Makes me wonder if most of Shoop's great success in the past was really Franklin's success.

All the evidence of 5 previous seasons says no and that it was the other way around....Shoop was the reason for Franklin's success.

That being said, can't explain what happened to Tennessee's defense. Shoop was absolutely horrific in managing this defense.

Franklin is an offensive minded coach. Shoop's success is directly related to the fact he surrounded himself with very good assistant coaches, which is the reason why PSU is a top 10 team right now. Their D. Coord has been Shoop's right hand man all the way back to his time at Vandy. Our issues come at the expense of poor assistant coaching, and injuries. That's where our main problems lie.

Reactions: 4 people
All the evidence of 5 previous seasons says no and that it was the other way around....Shoop was the reason for Franklin's success.

That being said, can't explain what happened to Tennessee's defense. Shoop was absolutely horrific in managing this defense.

This crusade you're on to crucify James franklin is crazy. I usually agree with you on most of your post but this right here can't be further from the truth. His players could've quit when they were down 28-7 but they stuck with the plan and worked their way back in this game. I'm giving that credit to the coaches, and by the way, shoop ain't on the sideline this game or was he any this season for them.

Could the announcers be any more biased towards Penn state? Who could be a fan of that dirt bag school?

James Franklin coached better than anything I saw in Knoxville this year. Love or hate him he's a good coach. I wish a little of that would wear off on Butch!

Last edited:
So, who should be sorrier, Butch for hiring Sal Sunseri II, or Shoop for leaving a likely playoff team to join a train wreck?

We had the Curse of Fulmer thru the Kiffin/Dooley years and finally fought thru it. Do we now have the Curse of Jancek? Maybe since it was a lesser offense (lesser screwing}, it will last only one year. We'll see,

Rich Franklin coached better than anything I saw in Knoxville this year. Love or hate him he's a good coach. I wish a little of that would wear off on Butch!

franklin1_large.jpg

Must be the scotches. :p

Franklin is a damn good coach. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know FB.

It shouldn't be too hard ...all but 1 DT gone . The rest are DEs playing tackle. Starting safeties gone intermittently. The best DE refusing to play the run ...pass rush only. One starting LB left . One of the best tacklers on the field a walk on . 14 different combinations of DBs on the field due to injury .

All of this because the offense left the defense on the field for 930 snaps , one of the highest totals in CFB.

Mystical I know ...but the riddle has been solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back