Defense wins or loses

tabrams

Supportin' the Cause
I think although at times this year our offense, penalties, and turnover issues hurt us, the defense was bad for most of year..

With a good defense, we could hv gone 11-1 easily.....the Texas AM game, USC jr, and Candy games all featured horrible defense... and those were 3 games we should hv won...

So Injuries aside, what caused this?

I would say that Shoop and Butch are to
Blame....Butch for hiring Shoop, and Shoop for putting up a Sal's Pizzeria Style defense.....

I don't think Shoop is any good.... I think James Franklin is a great coach and made Shoop look much better than he actually is.

Shoop reminds me of Clawson who basically got Fulmer fired....overly intelligent guys who were horrible at TN....

TN is on pace to have another bad defense next season... after heavy losses on the DL, and DB... plus the same bad players will be back...

I hv a bad feeling that Shoop may cost Butch his job next year.... bc I think the offense will be good again Next year....

I think although at times this year our offense, penalties, and turnover issues hurt us, the defense was bad for most of year..

With a good defense, we could hv gone 11-1 easily.....the Texas AM game, USC jr, and Candy games all featured horrible defense... and those were 3 games we should hv won...

So Injuries aside, what caused this?

I would say that Shoop and Butch are to
Blame....Butch for hiring Shoop, and Shoop for putting up a Sal's Pizzeria Style defense.....

I don't think Shoop is any good.... I think James Franklin is a great coach and made Shoop look much better than he actually is.

Shoop reminds me of Clawson who basically got Fulmer fired....overly intelligent guys who were horrible at TN....

TN is on pace to have another bad defense next season... after heavy losses on the DL, and DB... plus the same bad players will be back...

I hv a bad feeling that Shoop may cost Butch his job next year.... bc I think the offense will be good again Next year....

You sound very optimistic about 2017

You sound very optimistic about 2017

Well I want them to go 12-0.... I just can't see Shoop getting the defense to perform well...
The 1st halves before the injuries the defense looked horrendous...

Then after the injuries they looked bad all the time..... I just think Shoop either didn't know what he was doing or our defensive players are horrible.... like to believe the former..

Shoop could coach a good D at Vandy but not here? Doesn't sound right.

Butch is clearly the difference and I put ALL the blame on him.

lol Shoop holds no blame. That's logical...

Yea I agree..
Everybody on here thinks Shoop is some sort of god... I mean the guy just fielded a historically bad defense that only Sal's Pizza could be worse than......

But it's all Butchs fault?? Butch s an offensive guy.... Shoop knows a lot but his defense ain't working so far at all!

We just don't have very good players on D outside of Barnett, Tuttle, Sutton, and JRM. 3 of which missed significant time to injury. Lots of recruiting fails on that side of the ball.

Reactions: 3 people
We just don't have very good players on D outside of Barnett, Tuttle, Sutton, and JRM. 3 of which missed significant time to injury. Lots of recruiting fails on that side of the ball.
Sure looks that way. I see some things they can do to shore up the secondary. Two guys catching passes right now that probably should be playing on that side of the ball. Linebacker.. Where is any help for Kirkland going to come from? The guys we've been playing sure aren't cutting it. People say Jumper is solid, he's part of the reason they got 2000 yards ran up on them in 3 games. Up front. They should be fine at DE but DT is concerning. You'll have two guys coming back off major surgeries and Johnson who hasn't played much if any... I think Vickers is back but he's undersized, couple of other guys who should get mop up duty at best. I don't see a lot of answers to fix the front 7 on that side of the ball.

Reactions: 1 person
How can Shoop have a very good defense with 2 and 3 star players at Vandy, but not at Tennessee. It has to be the lack of time he has had with the players or assistant coaches not teaching his schemes correctly or he is a fraud and Franklin was the true DC.

Injuries played a big part. But IMO, its Butch. He is too controlling. He needs to get his hand out of Shoop's sugar bowl and let him do his own thing. Like position coaches, let Shoop get who he wants.

Shoop didnt just all of a sudden become an inept defensive coach in one year. Hopefully next season Shoop gets more control and things improve.

Injuries played a big part. But IMO, its Butch. He is too controlling. He needs to get his hand out of Shoop's sugar bowl and let him do his own thing. Like position coaches, let Shoop get who he wants.

Shoop didnt just all of a sudden become an inept defensive coach in one year. Hopefully next season Shoop gets more control and things improve.
I don't think he's meddling all that much in Shoop's defense. We have problems up front with the front 7 in this scheme.. I guess in Bob's case the front 6.. Either way he's a attacking, aggressive play caller and if they don't get home they get burned. No one to generate any pass rush up the middle and Barnett bull rushes trying to get sacks all the time, never stays home, leaves a giant gap behind him. It's easy to run or use a draw on this defense. Then when you blitz like that and don't get there, one on one with our corners is just about automatic big play. He tried everything he could other than running different fronts. He had no answers. Better get it fixed quick, hope he can or him and Butch will be looking for employment next year.

Reactions: 4 people

Seldom works out when that happens.

I always say this about Shoop and our defense. I think the reason why we "sucked" was because Shoop is in the box. Communication can get tricky and the older players were used to Jancek on field.

Yea I agree..
Everybody on here thinks Shoop is some sort of god... I mean the guy just fielded a historically bad defense that only Sal's Pizza could be worse than......

But it's all Butchs fault?? Butch s an offensive guy.... Shoop knows a lot but his defense ain't working so far at all!

Good luck convincing those that want to make everything CBJ fault. For some reason they are okay putting blame on the OC but not the DC.

Jones gambled on Shoop - that gamble did not work out. To be fair some of it was due to injuries but that can't explain the complete breakdown through the last few games.

I do hope that Shoop rebounds and proves to be as good as some think. I'm just not holding my breath waiting for that to happen at this point.

One final thought - there are really very few teams in college that play good defense. Most of the match ups between really good teams turn into offensive explosions rather than defensive battles. There are exceptions but for the most part those games end up being won by the team that scored last.

Reactions: 2 people
next year will be better because no one will be expecting us to do anything except lose...no big expectations by the media, fans, or other SEC teams...we'll be a complete unknown and we'll sneak up on them and BOOM...:fireworks:...:daddy:

PS. Calling Mr Blackburn...calling Mr Blackburn

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back