People upset over Phil

Hairy Vols

I understand you probably wanted Blackburn, but the reasons NOT to hire Phil I don't think are very solid. After all Bill Battle wasn't a good Head Coach, but just look where he got Alabama football. (Obviously Phil was light years above Bill)

I'm looking at the situation this way, even tho he has never been an AD before I think if he didn't have enough knowledge they wouldn't consider the hire, what would be the point?

And on a final note I think what Phil brings to the table as a recruiter can definitely translate to his new position with making hires, influencing boosters, ect ect.

I get not everyone will like the hire, I just don't understand why everyone is being so nasty about someone who loves the place so much. Hell he could of taken another job after we fired him, but didn't because he loves this place so much because this is the only place he wants to be.

How is that not someone you want in charge of Tennessee athletics?!?

Last edited:
Reactions: 53 people
I understand you probably wanted Blackburn, but the reasons NOT to hire Phil I don't think are very solid. After all Bill Battle wasn't a good Head Coach, but just look where he got Alabama football. (Obviously Phil was light years above Bill)

I'm looking at the situation this way, even tho he has never been an AD before I think if he didn't have enough knowledge they wouldn't consider the hire, what would be the point?

And on a final note I think what Phil brings to the table as a recruiter can definitely translate to his new position with making hires, influencing boosters, ect ect.

I get not everyone will like the hire, I just don't understand why everyone is being so nasty about someone who loves the place so much. Hell he could of taken another job after we fired him, but didn't because he loves this place so much because this is the only place he wants to be.

I honestly don't know why some here are completely sickened by the idea of CPF becoming AD.

Reactions: 18 people
I wish the comparisons of Phil to Dickey and Battle would just stop. Battle was highly successful creating a business if not an industry. Dickey was hired as the UT AD 32 years ago and it's a completely different landscape today. Alvarez is a more logical comparison, except that he didn't win a Natty or get fired by the same organization that hired him as their AD.

That said, I say chill out and see what Phil can accomplish. It's an easier job than the HFC job and Hamilton and Hart have left the bar very low. Phil's as likely to be successful as Blackburn. DB is running a low level athletic program with a budget a fraction of the size as the one at UTK. He's not head and shoulders better than Phil.

Reactions: 12 people
I'm personally fine with the hire. Phil knows the workings of UT inside and out and there is absolutely no doubt he will make decisions based on what's best for the school. The man has devoted the majority of his life to TN as a player and coach.

Reactions: 40 people

I get not everyone will like the hire, I just don't understand why everyone is being so nasty about someone who loves the place do much. Hell he could of taken another job after we fired him, but didn't because he loves this place so much because this is the only place he wants to be.

Lack of experience. Plus, he is 65. UT needs an AD for the long term. And every time we hear Fulmer speak about his firing, there is no real admission or taking ownership of his failings. If he did that, I might feel better about this.

Phil as a recruiter? Look ar his final classes and his misses. Nothing personal, but your logic scares me. Sorry, bud, but if he gets it, leave me out of toasting it. Just my gut reaction to it.

Reactions: 18 people
Lack of experience. Plus, he is 65. UT needs an AD for the long term. And every time we hear Fulmer speak about his firing, there is no real admission or taking ownership of his failings. If he did that, I might feel better about this.

Phil as a recruiter? Look ar his final classes and his misses. Nothing personal, but your logic scares me. Sorry, bud, but if he gets it, leave me out of toasting it. Just my gut reaction to it.

We could debate for a while if Phil could of brought us back, you say look at his final years I say look at his resume and record as a wholea. Phil is older, but if the boosters want and support him and think he is capable why should we hate? Shouldn't we give him a chance before we decide he can't do the job?

With how bad everybody wanted Blackburn don't you think there has to be a reason we hired Phil over him?

And I've never understood why people want coaches to admit fault. That's not how it works. How often does Saban say yeah I'm a great college coach, but I was terrible in the NFL? They don't. So why do you want Phil to?

Reactions: 5 people
Being 65 does not matter. The job doesn't require that he interacts with the 18-22 year old student-athletes on a daily basis. He'll be working around boosters, NCAA and SEC and UT administrators, and coaches. Many of those individuals are his same age, older, or close to it.

Reactions: 13 people
Being 65 does not matter. The job doesn't require that he interacts with the 18-22 year old student-athletes on a daily basis. He'll be working around boosters, NCAA and SEC and UT administrators, and coaches. Many of those individuals are his same age, older, or close to it.

A long term guy with a long term financial plan for the athletic dept. Instead, you all are just trying to justify a sentimental hire. I have gone on record that we need a Tennessee guy, but one that knows the job. That is no reason to hire a 65 year old novice. Like I said, drink well to it, but leave me outta it. The buck should stop with the AD, and Phil's extensive experience at passing it means I am staying stone sober.

Reactions: 12 people
A long term guy with a long term financial plan for the athletic dept. Instead, you all are just trying to justify a sentimental hire. I have gone on record that we need a Tennessee guy, but one that knows the job. That is no reason to hire a 65 year old novice. Like I said, drink well to it, but leave me outta it. The buck should stop with the AD, and Phil's extensive experience at passing it means I am staying stone sober.

I don't drink and I'm not sentimental about Fulmer. In fact many posters have accused me of being a Fulmer basher and hater. I think he'd be a good boss for Butch, Rick, Holly, and the rest. He can hire people to fill the aspects of the job that aren't in his wheel house.

Since when are athletic directors supposed to fill the position for decades?

Reactions: 6 people

You seriously believe he had real opportunities to be a HC after he was let go? :loco:

This will go down with the Dooley & Tyndall hirings as some of the dumbest things this University has done with Athletics in the last 20 years!

Reactions: 19 people
You seriously believe he had real opportunities to be a HC after he was let go? :loco:

This will go down with the Dooley & Tyndall hirings as some of the dumbest things this University has done with Athletics in the last 20 years!

If you don't think a program would of taken him then clearly you've never payed close attention to the coaching carousel. If Will Muschamp and Ron Zooj can get rehired you don't think Phil could have?

Jesus do think before you spout off terrible ideas lol.

I see why you have almost 6,000 posts and less than 1,000 likes lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
We could debate for a while if Phil could of brought us back, you say look at his final years I say look at his resume and record as a wholea. Phil is older, but if the boosters want and support him and think he is capable why should we hate? Shouldn't we give him a chance before we decide he can't do the job?

With how bad everybody wanted Blackburn don't you think there has to be a reason we hired Phil over him?

And I've never understood why people want coaches to admit fault. That's not how it works. How often does Saban say yeah I'm a great college coach, but I was terrible in the NFL? They don't. So why do you want Phil to?

That is exactly how it should work, or you just keep screwing up. And I do look at his whole record, but don't quote statistics. It goes well beyond that. As AD, I look at his leadership during a crisis. Players under his watch were getting arrested over and over. His solution? A card with his stinking phone number. Had he manned up and asked Pat Summitt how to handle it, they would not be talking about our culture problems.

I remember when he got fired all too well. If I were more sentimental, I would have hated it more. But I had heard his lame excuses too many times. I just hope these reports are a joke.

But if he gets it, I hope he does well. I am not going to get invested in that hope, because my guts tells me it will be a train wreck. Hope I am very wrong.

Reactions: 7 people
There's part of me that just feels like there are some people who feel guilty about firing him and are trying to make it right. I know it sounds dumb, I'm just a little stumped about why you make the move with Blackburn right there

Reactions: 7 people
That is exactly how it should work, or you just keep screwing up. And I do look at his whole record, but don't quote statistics. It goes well beyond that. As AD, I look at his leadership during a crisis. Players under his watch were getting arrested over and over. His solution? A card with his stinking phone number. Had he manned up and asked Pat Summitt how to handle it, they would not be talking about our culture problems.

I remember when he got fired all too well. If I were more sentimental, I would have hated it more. But I had heard his lame excuses too many times. I just hope these reports are a joke.

But if he gets it, I hope he does well. I am not going to get invested in that hope, because my guts tells me it will be a train wreck. Hope I am very wrong.

There is no way to know if we will do good or not. Nothing is ever a sure thing, look at our baseball team.

But it seems a lot of fans always assume the worst and considering Tennessee Athletics top to bottom are at pretty much an all time low. How can he do much worse?

So I understand you always assume the worst.
We have lost our winning culture, hopefully the man who has brought us 1 of our 2 national championships, and has one of the best records as a HC is the man to do it. It time will tell.

There's part of me that just feels like there are some people who feel guilty about firing him and are trying to make it right. I know it sounds dumb, I'm just a little stumped about why you make the move with Blackburn right there

Maybe they like him better than Blackburn? Maybe they like Blackburn but know something we don't?

Reactions: 1 person
I don't drink and I'm not sentimental about Fulmer. In fact many posters have accused me of being a Fulmer basher and hater. I think he'd be a good boss for Butch, Rick, Holly, and the rest. He can hire people to fill the aspects of the job that aren't in his wheel house.

Since when are athletic directors supposed to fill the position for decades?

Look up the years of service for ADs before Hamilton.

And if he has to hire people because of his crappy "wheel house"? He will need a bigger entourage on coaching searches than the private planes will carry.

You don't drink? If you did, I would have suggested you stop. Now, I will encourage you to start. LOL

Basilio's donor buddy (The Vol Colonel / @TheVOLColonel) on tonybasilio.com (Talking Points):

Bye Bye Blackburn. Hello, Phillip Fulmer. I guess we should have seen this coming. The big money couldn't come to a majority agreement on David Blackburn and those who were against David just happen to have a candidate that they could push in there. I'm not so sure this wasn't the plan from the beginning from some of our whale boosters. They fought against Blackburn and they let this thing drag out until it looked like a 3 ring circus, then they sprung their Big Orange Savior in there to save the day.

I don't want to say Fulmer is an absolute lock for AD because we all know how quickly things can change around here, but it sure looks like this is going to happen and it might happen sooner than later. One person whom I've known a long time and has been around this thing for a few decades tells me, if not this week, then it's next week for sure. I had another player tell me that this thing is verbally done. I'm going to be honest with you, I don't know what to believe, but all signs are pointing to Phillip Fulmer.

I've said all along that I wanted David Blackburn and if not David, I'd take Phil. However, I never imagined that Phil would be a reality. I know some of you are totally against Fulmer, but you better step back and think about the slop they could have dumped on us. I feel better about Fulmer than I would have felt about Jon Gilbert or the guy up at Cincinnati.

Whether you're for Phil or against him there's no way you can tell me with a straight face that he doesn't care about UT. It would be more than just a job with a fat check to Phillip. I'm not one of these people who believes it has to be a UT man either, but considering the choices these buffoons have made and are capable of making, it sure as hell doesn't hurt anything.

I know some people are saying he isn't qualified for the job, but I don't buy into that. Whether you want to believe this or not, to be a successful Athletics Director at Tennessee you must do two things. One is making sure you have a winning football program that's on solid ground and the other is fund raising. I think Fulmer could do both well.

There's plenty of administrators and a team of lawyers to dot every I and cross every T in that athletic department. Fulmer doesn't have to do it all, he just has to oversee it. Win at football and raise money, it's not the rocket science some make it out to be.

Look folks, I wanted Blackburn as much as anyone, but believe me these morons could do a hell of a lot worse than Phillip Fulmer. If this is the direction we're heading, I'm down with it!

Reactions: 10 people
There is no way to know if we will do good or not. Nothing is ever a sure thing, look at our baseball team.

But it seems a lot of fans always assume the worst and considering Tennessee Athletics top to bottom are at pretty much an all time low. How can he do much worse?

So I understand you always assume the worst.
We have lost our winning culture, hopefully the man who has brought us 1 of our 2 national championships, and has one of the best records as a HC is the man to do it. It time will tell.

Just because I question Fulmer does not mean I always assume the worst. You brought it up, so if you don't like the answers you get, keep your veiled insults to yourself.

Reactions: 1 person

You realize that at Alabama Saban tells the AD who he is hiring and the AD just agrees right?

Reactions: 2 people
Basilio's donor buddy (The Vol Colonel / @TheVOLColonel) on tonybasilio.com (Talking Points):

Bye Bye Blackburn. Hello, Phillip Fulmer. I guess we should have seen this coming. The big money couldn't come to a majority agreement on David Blackburn and those who were against David just happen to have a candidate that they could push in there. I'm not so sure this wasn't the plan from the beginning from some of our whale boosters. They fought against Blackburn and they let this thing drag out until it looked like a 3 ring circus, then they sprung their Big Orange Savior in there to save the day.

I don't want to say Fulmer is an absolute lock for AD because we all know how quickly things can change around here, but it sure looks like this is going to happen and it might happen sooner than later. One person whom I've known a long time and has been around this thing for a few decades tells me, if not this week, then it's next week for sure. I had another player tell me that this thing is verbally done. I'm going to be honest with you, I don't know what to believe, but all signs are pointing to Phillip Fulmer.

I've said all along that I wanted David Blackburn and if not David, I'd take Phil. However, I never imagined that Phil would be a reality. I know some of you are totally against Fulmer, but you better step back and think about the slop they could have dumped on us. I feel better about Fulmer than I would have felt about Jon Gilbert or the guy up at Cincinnati.

Whether you're for Phil or against him there's no way you can tell me with a straight face that he doesn't care about UT. It would be more than just a job with a fat check to Phillip. I'm not one of these people who believes it has to be a UT man either, but considering the choices these buffoons have made and are capable of making, it sure as hell doesn't hurt anything.

I know some people are saying he isn't qualified for the job, but I don't buy into that. Whether you want to believe this or not, to be a successful Athletics Director at Tennessee you must do two things. One is making sure you have a winning football program that's on solid ground and the other is fund raising. I think Fulmer could do both well.

There's plenty of administrators and a team of lawyers to dot every I and cross every T in that athletic department. Fulmer doesn't have to do it all, he just has to oversee it. Win at football and raise money, it's not the rocket science some make it out to be.

Look folks, I wanted Blackburn as much as anyone, but believe me these morons could do a hell of a lot worse than Phillip Fulmer. If this is the direction we're heading, I'm down with it!

If that is suppose to inspire confidence, you really do need to start drinking.

VN Store

Back