2 for 1? Blackburn & Fulmer?

madbamahater

What is the possibility that Blackburn will be hired and Fulmer brought in as an assistant to the AD, something like Football Operations?

Similar role that Holloway has with student relations.....

Fulmer would be in charge of all things football for Blackburn in terms of recruiting, coaching evaluations, etc.......

At Fulmer's age, it would be more ideal than taking on full blown AD responsibilities, and still hiring him for his knowledge of the game, program and overall interest of UT football

Reactions: 23 people
Good idea but I doubt Fulmer's ego would allow it..

He really is a very humble man. I don't see why folks have this opinion of him...

I do agree he was bullheaded when it came to hiring/firing past coaches and he paid the ultimate price for that as it played out.

But, he is a nice fella and a good person.........

Reactions: 24 people
Win-win in my book. Do we need to start a petition? We have leftover pitchforks and mattresses from the Canales thread that we can re-allocate if needed.

Reactions: 13 people
I'd be for it if Blackburn is OK with it. The AD should get to choose his staff and structure just like a coach should.

Reactions: 5 people
Similar to "Butch is a control freak and hard to work with" or "Fulmer's ego"; these are all made up sayings on Volnation. Does Fulmer have an ego? I am sure he does as well as every other major division one coach.

Reactions: 8 people
What is the possibility that Blackburn will be hired and Fulmer brought in as an assistant to the AD, something like Football Operations?

Similar role that Holloway has with student relations.....

Fulmer would be in charge of all things football for Blackburn in terms of recruiting, coaching evaluations, etc.......

At Fulmer's age, it would be more ideal than taking on full blown AD responsibilities, and still hiring him for his knowledge of the game, program and overall interest of UT football

That's a great idea that makes perfect sense. Therefore there's no chance in h$ll it happens.

Reactions: 8 people
Why hire Blackburn to prop up Fulmer? If Fulmer isn't good enough to do this job on his own, don't hire him for it. Blackburn doesn't need any seasoning with the UTAD. He's already had it.

We need to stop looking for a consolation prize for Fulmer at a time when we need experienced leadership, whether it's Blackburn or any of 50 other qualified AD candidates.

Reactions: 4 people
You cover all the bases.......

You get the Administrative guy with the experience you need and a UT guy........

You get the Football guy with tons of success on the field and also tons of management experience, due to being a head coach for 16 years or so (and around the program nearly his whole life).....

Bottom line.......you get 2 overly qualified Tennessee guys who both love the Program and University.........

Reactions: 4 people
Great or whacko minds, I dunno which, but that thought came to me a couple hours ago. Add in what Hyams said yesterday, and I think there is a good possibility this could happen.

I wonder if Blackburn would look at this as a slap in the face?
The way I understand it he has been under the impression that he was being groomed for this job for years. Now the time has come and he could be told that he has to share the position with someone with no experience for the job? I don't know the man so I don't know how he would feel about it.

Reactions: 2 people
Charlie Anderson disagrees.

And evidently he's the only one that matters no matter what's best for the university

The way I understand it he has been under the impression that he was being groomed for this job for years. Now the time has come and he could be told that he has to share the position with someone with no experience for the job? I don't know the man so I don't know how he would feel about it.

I'm sure he would since it's my understanding that it wouldn't be any different from his time here before.
He's been running his own show successfully and Tennessee needs to lock him up or he'll be at a rival school and Tennessee will still be looking for the guy

Why hire Blackburn to prop up Fulmer? If Fulmer isn't good enough to do this job on his own, don't hire him for it. Blackburn doesn't need any seasoning with the UTAD. He's already had it.

We need to stop looking for a consolation prize for Fulmer at a time when we need experienced leadership, whether it's Blackburn or any of 50 other qualified AD candidates.

If you don't see the benefit to having Fulmer involved with the program, in my opinion, all of your opinions are invalid..................

No one would be propping him up. He would have a legitimate role with very legitimate and important duties.........

Blackburn would be Fulmer's boss not the other way around. If Blackburn has to fire him, so be it..........

Reactions: 1 person
Arent they close? I could see it. Fulmer in Associate AD role that allows him flexibility and time with family. Can focus on fundraising and other aspects. The thing that intrigues me about Fulmer is his ties to so many coaches that would be great to have.

I think Blackburn would entertain the idea if he had sole authority over the athletic department. He has put in the work, gotten the experience, and deserves to be the AD at Tennessee. I also agree that having Fulmer involved in some capacity would benefit the program. I see no issue that Blackburn would have if Fulmer was a part of the athletic department as long as Fulmer was not challenging or stepping on Blackburn's toes. I think Fulmer would be fantastic as a fundraiser, ambassador, advisor, and could truly unite the boosters, administration, and fan base.

If Tennessee could pull this off it would allow me to forgive them for the delay and seeming incompetence. However, we have no idea if Blackburn would even accept such a position. Yesterday, Mike Griffith stated that Tennessee has not even contacted Blackburn.

Blackburn as AD and Fulmer as assistant makes perfect sense. B school 101. Find the best, most experienced talent and surround yourself with it. Most young Managers are lap dogs, have no clue what they are doing, and surround themselves with lap dog minions that aren't objective and agree with their every move. Faildozer 101. Trump reaching out to Romney is text book 101 of recognizing talent and putting aside personal differences. Educated decision.

If you don't see the benefit to having Fulmer involved with the program, in my opinion, all of your opinions are invalid..................

No one would be propping him up. He would have a legitimate role with very legitimate and important duties.........

Never said Fulmer shouldn't be involved. He could kill it in fundraising. But if you need Blackburn and Fulmer, you don't really have one AD.

I just don't think Blackburn should be AD in waiting, when he already is more qualified to be AD than Fulmer. Just my opinion, only my opinion, go big orange.

VN Store

Back