Lingering Coaching Question?

Weezer

VolNation Dalai Lama , VN Most Beloved Poster
Will Stripling retire or move over to the administrative side as rumored? If so, Brady Hoke has been mentioned as a replacement. Are their other candidates?

Will ZA stay now that Scott has received the OC promotion? He's been passed over twice by Butch now. Does he see a future here? If he goes, who can we replace him with?

Will Mahoney be let go when his contract expires after NSD? Will Walt Wells be promoted to OL coach, or are there other options?

Seems to me there are still many unanswered questions and more staff changes are on the horizon.

Reactions: 4 people
Will Stripling retire or move over to the administrative side as rumored? If so, Brady Hoke has been mentioned as a replacement. Are their other candidates?

Will ZA stay now that Scott has received the OC promotion? He's been passed over twice by Butch now. Does he see a future here? If he goes, who can we replace him with?

Will Mahoney be let go when his contract expires after NSD? Will Walt Wells be promoted to OL coach, or are there other options?

Seems to me there are still many unanswered questions and more staff changes are on the horizon.

With NSD just over a week away, I doubt we will see any more changes for now. Once that is over with, all of your questions will probably be answered. Hopefully, Butch announces any hires in the same PC he announces departures. Give the media guys less time to speculate.

Just me playing Miss Cleo, but I feel Mahoney will be replaced by Wells. I believe he made a recruiting trip this month, and I doubt that would happen or be mentioned if it wasn't going to happen. Stripling? If that is going to happen, I assume he and Butch have discussed it. However, it won't be announced until a new hire is made. Call it 50-50.

Azzanni is a tough call. The only rumor I have heard concerning wide outs is Wes Welker, and that would probably be a GA spot. The tarot cards say he stays. But I am using an Old Maid deck, so that could blow up on me.

Reactions: 2 people
NCAA will vote in a couple months whether to add a 10th coach or not. It's supposed to pass.

Also, I think ZA might be upset he's been passed over a few times, but if it's true that he cannot land another job anywhere he might be happy to still be at Tennessee. Honestly, if nobody will take him and he is searching we should replace him anyways.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd hope they are telling the recruits the truth if for certain their coach won't be around after NSD otherwise that's a punk move. I'm sure they are so to answer the OP, I'd say the recruits already know who their coach will be.

NCAA will vote in a couple months whether to add a 10th coach or not. It's supposed to pass.

Also, I think ZA might be upset he's been passed over a few times, but if it's true that he cannot land another job anywhere he might be happy to still be at Tennessee. Honestly, if nobody will take him and he is searching we should replace him anyways.

But who do we get?

But who do we get?

If they add a 10th coach, I'd like to see Thig focus on recruiting and hire another LBs coach to develop the talent. Or maybe the 10th would be a dedicated ST coordinator?

But who do we get?

I was reading some articles discussing how the 10th assistant would be used and most of it aligned with what was said above this post. It mentioned how most elite programs are pretty set on the field with their current 9 assistants, but could use a 10th to solely focus on recruiting.

ZA probably wants to move on but I couldn't imagine him being a hot commodity. He may have to swallow his pride.

Let's hope Mahoney moves on. Wish him the best, just hope it's somewhere else.

Reactions: 1 person
ZA probably wants to move on but I couldn't imagine him being a hot commodity. He may have to swallow his pride.

I've been wondering if there'd be a change with him.

Unless you are a member of the staff and work with the coaches day to day, you have no clue how well (or not) these coaches work with each other. You have no clue how well they can actually coach unless you have personally worked with this players and know their true potential.

I've come to realize that some of you either just like chaos or want perfection when perfection doesn't exist.

I don't visit other boards, am not a fan, is there just as much speculation on those boards or is this just a Tennessee thing?

Reactions: 5 people

Pure speculation on my part, but most of this is.
The WR play finally showed improvement last year. That in no way constitutes any form of promotion but he may have changed his style enough to earn another season. If he hasn't "moved on" shortly after NSD, my guess is that this is the case.

Unless you are a member of the staff and work with the coaches day to day, you have no clue how well (or not) these coaches work with each other. You have no clue how well they can actually coach unless you have personally worked with this players and know their true potential.

I've come to realize that some of you either just like chaos or want perfection when perfection doesn't exist.

I don't visit other boards, am not a fan, is there just as much speculation on those boards or is this just a Tennessee thing?

Speculation happens everywhere, but it does seem to be on steroids here. But it is a reflection of the interest in Tennessee football. If you put two Tennessee fans who have never met and will probably never meet again in the same place and time, there is a strong chance they will discuss the team.`Is it a little overzealous at times? Probably, but most fans have loved it their entire lives.

That means expectations on coaches are high. No, we don't like chaos, we just expect coaches to develop their players and improve the play of their position groups, which will result in players selected in the NFL draft. And since that has not been happening? It's time for some to get with the standard or kick rocks.

Speculation happens everywhere, but it does seem to be on steroids here. But it is a reflection of the interest in Tennessee football. If you put two Tennessee fans who have never met and will probably never meet again in the same place and time, there is a strong chance they will discuss the team.`Is it a little overzealous at times? Probably, but most fans have loved it their entire lives.

That means expectations on coaches are high. No, we don't like chaos, we just expect coaches to develop their players and improve the play of their position groups, which will result in players selected in the NFL draft. And since that has not been happening? It's time for some to get with the standard or kick rocks.

I truly believe you do not want chaos but you will never convince me that some on here, I think most know who I'm referring to, absolutely live for chaos! If we hire a good coach, it wasn't soon enough, if we win a game, we didn't win by a wide enough margin. Some on here and especially on FF love them some chaos! JMO

Pure speculation on my part, but most of this is.
The WR play finally showed improvement last year. That in no way constitutes any form of promotion but he may have changed his style enough to earn another season. If he hasn't "moved on" shortly after NSD, my guess is that this is the case.

Azzanni may get a bad rap from statistics fans, but line and QB play seriously influences those numbers. How often was a failed play the fault of receivers routes or technique, the QB's accuracy or mechanics, or failure to maintain protection in the pocket? Sometimes, it can be a little of all of them. It was a little easier to determine that when the Vols were running a pro style offense. But in an offense that employs elements of the spread. it can be a little less obvious.

Also, Azzanni has to live with the expectation of re-establishing Wide Receiver U. And as time passes, do some fan's memories of those days become somewhat embellished and exaggerated? Could it be that Azzanni might not be as bad as some of us imagine? Until he has a few of his own former Tennessee receivers catching passes on Sundays, the opinions of him within this fan base probably won't improve much.

I truly believe you do not want chaos but you will never convince me that some on here, I think most know who I'm referring to, absolutely live for chaos! If we hire a good coach, it wasn't soon enough, if we win a game, we didn't win by a wide enough margin. Some on here and especially on FF love them some chaos! JMO

Jack Nicholson said it best when he played the Joker.

"This town needs an enema."

Mahoney won't work for a P5 school again in his career after UT. His body of work shows a complete lack of ability in developing 5 linemen into a functional offensive line.

He'll end up at a Conference USA school if anywhere.

Let's hear a big YEAH BUT to this, though...the ugly caveat, so to speak. Every aspect of life's comings and goings thrives via yin and yang, plus and minus, weighing out vice versus virtue, ad nauseum. That's not the problem with the list of usual suspects on this site. On the battlefield (a real one) there are soldiers who're...uh...err...not going to escape the ominous body bag due not to enemy bullets, but rather to a "stray shot" from the friendlies. Why? The obvious reason is there are individuals who've become drama queens at the most inappropriate moments...leading to disaster. Do they know this? Doubtful. However, history shows us (err...READ THE HEADLINES!) that mass negativity is ALWAYS detrimental and in the case of VN, it's near the lethal dose level...due totally to such ardent fan base disapproval to UT's authenticity as a superior place to play football. At least there are some of us who've actually experienced the game of football enough to understand the causes and effects of it enough to understand how sensitive a balance it is...so it's finally "just right"....to countermand those who know so little about the sport yet create so much commotion in the lives of those who've dedicated their lives to it. Potential future star athletes read these threads and, believe me, fan base support is tantamount. I think the problem's not as much the game of football in many cases here, but instead it's too often the game of egocentrism and an overall lack of self-esteem...leading some to hang in with their negativism just because they've found a great big boat to rock.....be it a fan or be it a non-fan. I'm old and don't have very many seasons left to enjoy, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that there are a lot more of us "pumpers" still walking around than those "realists" who would've lived this long, had they just let go of that ugly habit of incessant nitpicking. Lighten up. AMIRIGHT?:yes:

Last edited:
Azzanni may get a bad rap from statistics fans, but line and QB play seriously influences those numbers. How often was a failed play the fault of receivers routes or technique, the QB's accuracy or mechanics, or failure to maintain protection in the pocket? Sometimes, it can be a little of all of them. It was a little easier to determine that when the Vols were running a pro style offense. But in an offense that employs elements of the spread. it can be a little less obvious.

Also, Azzanni has to live with the expectation of re-establishing Wide Receiver U. And as time passes, do some fan's memories of those days become somewhat embellished and exaggerated? Could it be that Azzanni might not be as bad as some of us imagine? Until he has a few of his own former Tennessee receivers catching passes on Sundays, the opinions of him within this fan base probably won't improve much.
Thanks so much for providing a beautifully pertinent yen versus yang example! I knew Phillip Fulmer as a student/athlete. As a matter of fact, he was the first person to console me and offer encouragement to me when my blown ACL permanently took me out of the game before my first fall camp...but when it was time for him to be replaced as HC...I saw it and recommended it along with a lot of other VFLs. Likewise with Coach Azzani, his receivers haven't been developing as compared with those of other programs. How? Last second reactions. That's where the player is so positioned and so disposed to attack the ball and win the capture. Remember the two Coopers, or bama's game winning drive to defeat team 119 in Tuscaloosa. It's too rare that these 4* and 5* studs haven't been turning such situations into completions. Same goes for an inordinate number of inside or wheel route critical possession passes. The overall team chemistry just doesn't work when the final segment of it is either "missed," "dropped" or "batted away." Knowledgeable footballers understand that Coach Jones' system is as solid as any in the game, and that his evolving setup is just about to be become a juggernaut...if the negas can lighten up long enough for it to morph into the well-oiled monster CBJ presents as his vision. He's patently aware of more aspects of CZA's pluses and minuses, and I have confidence that our OL and WR shortcomings will soon become notable strengths. Keep pumping! AMIRIGHT?:yes:

I misread the thread title as Lingerie Coaching Questions. Was expecting more questions like...

Does Butch where boxers or briefs?
Who on the staff wears a manziere?
Will a thong show through my khakis?

Now those are really the questions fans want answers to!

I was reading some articles discussing how the 10th assistant would be used and most of it aligned with what was said above this post. It mentioned how most elite programs are pretty set on the field with their current 9 assistants, but could use a 10th to solely focus on recruiting.

Actually, I was asking who you would want to coach WRs if Azzanni leaves. Until the rule passes, I consider the 10th coach a red herring.

Stripling: Hope not. Wouldn't mind having Hoke for OL or DL coaching spot
Azanni: Doubt it, unless he gets a good offer.
Mahoney: Hope so. We could use an upgrade there.

Warren was a great pick up that will help us a ton on Secondary and Special Teams, both of which too a few steps back since Elder and Bajakian left.

Canales will be good to from a QB development standpoint. There is no telling just how good Dobbs could have been with a true QB Coach the last 2 seasons.

With these young bucks QD, JG, and SJ battling for the starting gig, this will be our most crucial coaching position from a development standpoint.

Thanks so much for providing a beautifully pertinent yen versus yang example! I knew Phillip Fulmer as a student/athlete. As a matter of fact, he was the first person to console me and offer encouragement to me when my blown ACL permanently took me out of the game before my first fall camp...but when it was time for him to be replaced as HC...I saw it and recommended it along with a lot of other VFLs. Likewise with Coach Azzani, his receivers haven't been developing as compared with those of other programs. How? Last second reactions. That's where the player is so positioned and so disposed to attack the ball and win the capture. Remember the two Coopers, or bama's game winning drive to defeat team 119 in Tuscaloosa. It's too rare that these 4* and 5* studs haven't been turning such situations into completions. Same goes for an inordinate number of inside or wheel route critical possession passes. The overall team chemistry just doesn't work when the final segment of it is either "missed," "dropped" or "batted away." Knowledgeable footballers understand that Coach Jones' system is as solid as any in the game, and that his evolving setup is just about to be become a juggernaut...if the negas can lighten up long enough for it to morph into the well-oiled monster CBJ presents as his vision. He's patently aware of more aspects of CZA's pluses and minuses, and I have confidence that our OL and WR shortcomings will soon become notable strengths. Keep pumping! AMIRIGHT?:yes:

Yeah you are right. I have a belief that the negas can only quote stats and call for replacements based on them. And if you don't get the short list of trophies, they demand buyouts be paid and new guys be hired. They think building a championship team is as easy as cooking chicken with Shake N Bake...and they helped. Yeah, sure.

I agree his system will work...as long as he sticks to a script in a PC. If anything hurts him, it is when he decides an extra point needs to be made. He might start to live down Champions of Life in a couple of years or so. Maybe he needs to just say individuals 5 or 6 times... per sentence. All the other stuff he has taken heat for so far is recoverable.

VN Store

Back