Fair points for both sides from Andy Staples

I think we should give him 2017 with the changes in the coaching staff.

I really think our defense will be vastly improved.

I just hope if its not working we dont start getting the excuses.

A healthy roster and a successful new QB will be the main determining factors for the 2017 season IMHO.

Now that we have a S&C and a QB coach those areas should be impacted in a positive manner. The injuries almost have to be fewer, just because. As for QB play, it's my understanding it's the second year that Butch's QBs make the biggest improvement when it comes to making the right read. I'm counting on that jump to happen even if they are red shirted or have just played a little mop up.

thanks Andy, but we'll be the judge of that...it's basically up in the air now, but 2017 will tell the tale of Butch's tenure at UTK, one way or the other...:)

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
In the end, everyone has an opinion. But he's here for 2017 obviously.

I hope he succeeds, I hope the new blood in the coaching staff and on the team, takes us another step back to the top.

I just am not sure if he is capable, but I have no hate for the man like some here do. If he can't reach the level we should be at, I will tell him bye. But I will do so with respect for the rebuilding project at least.

*If he is not the one, let's just hope the next hire is. There's several good coaches out there but it takes elite to be at the top in the SEC.
And I definitely hope we don't go the wrong direction again. I'm not sure I can stomach 5 win seasons anymore.

Reactions: 6 people
Everything that Andy said was right.

* Butch inherited a dumpster fire
* He recruited well enough to make Tennessee competitive again, week in and week out
* Tennessee has had back to back 9-win seasons
* There were a ton of injuries on defense last year
* There was some bad chemistry on last year's team
* The South Carolina game was inexcusable, no matter how you look at it
* The Vanderbilt game was also a head-scratcher

Reactions: 8 people
In the end, everyone has an opinion. But he's here for 2017 obviously.

I hope he succeeds, I hope the new blood in the coaching staff and on the team, takes us another step back to the top.

I just am not sure if he is capable, but I have no hate for the man like some here do. If he can't reach the level we should be at, I will tell him bye. But I will do so with respect for the rebuilding project at least.

*If he is not the one, let's just hope the next hire is. There's several good coaches out there but it takes elite to be at the top in the SEC.
And I definitely hope we don't go the wrong direction again. I'm not sure I can stomach 5 win seasons anymore.

Just asking.
What do you think defines an "elite coach" and how many are there out there?

I think Butch's position is similar to what Dabo Sweeney experienced not that long ago. Nobody felt like Dabo was the guy to get it done either. But he obviously upgraded his staff. Results speak for themselves. Here's to hoping we get similar results.

Reactions: 3 people
I think we should give him 2017 with the changes in the coaching staff.

I really think our defense will be vastly improved.

I just hope if its not working we dont start getting the excuses.

Get ready to hear a ton of excuses next year.

The skill position players that were responsible for nearly every yard of offense are gone (Dobbs, Kamara, Hurd, Malone). We lost both defensive ends, including one who set the all-time school record for sacks. Our two best defensive players next year are likely to be two DTs who are coming off multiple severe, season-ending injuries. We saw how much the linebackers struggled last year without JRM; now he's gone for good. We saw how much the secondary struggled last year without Sutton; now he's gone for good. Foreman is gone too; I suppose you can only go up from there but he was an experienced player. Color me skeptical that a new DBs coach can teach guys to turn around and find the ball in a single offseason.

2016 was Butch's time to make a move. He failed to, and in 2017 he is being expected to make a move again with a new QB and an overall inferior team.

Georgia Tech is an eminently loseable game next year. If Butch drops that one, it could be a season of doom. If you get past that one, there are still Florida and Georgia that he will be expected to beat.

I think Butch's position is similar to what Dabo Sweeney experienced not that long ago. Nobody felt like Dabo was the guy to get it done either. But he obviously upgraded his staff. Results speak for themselves. Here's to hoping we get similar results.

Butch has totally failed to upgrade his offensive staff.

Reactions: 2 people
Just asking.
What do you think defines an "elite coach" and how many are there out there?

Elite would mean being able to truly challenge Saban and the entire Alabama program. People here keep saying that it's not Jones because they don't believe he can win the conference. We both know winning that conference means taking down Alabama. Meyer has been able to do it looks like Dabo will reach that level. ( obviously different conference but there's a championship program there)

And I don't just mean getting a win on the field, freeze being able to beat them twice but still not achieve what you think a team who beats Alabama would.

I have no idea how many are out there. Different conferences, different recruiting limitations at certain schools, all kinds of things play into that. But they have to have great recruiting prowess along with great game day coaching end choosing staff members.

VN Store

Back