So, the AD job is now a campaign?

There's no good reason to hire Fulmer over Blackburn.

Fulmer for AD is an emotional decision, not a logical one.

Reactions: 51 people
Fulmer certainly can help UT in other ways besides being AD. I don't have a warm fuzzy about coach being AD since I think he's to loyal to people over what's best for the program or in this case programs.

Reactions: 7 people
I like that both of these fellows have deep prior connections to the institution. Given that and IF it's down to these two, I give the nod to Blackburn as he has actual experience and success as an AD.

Reactions: 2 people
I would like coach Fulmer because he knows what it takes in a coach to reach the top i think he would give the coach a chance before he would fire one if he thought the program was going down hill i think he would put the coach out the door.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe you can tell me what is the difference. Thanks.

Fulmer was a UT student and football player, then coach, he's since been in the private sector.

Blackburn is also a UT Grad. But he worked in the athletic department in various capacities for something like 20 years, including being an associate AD, if I remember correctly. The past 4 years he's served at the AD at UTC. He's so far more experienced and qualified for the position that it's genuinely laughable that he could possibly be passed over in favor of Phil. Not to mention that he's 10+ years younger than PF, meaning he could be in the position far longer, assuming he's doing a good job. Which based on his performance so far in Chattanooga, there's no reason to believe he wouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 people
Fulmer was a UT student and football player, then coach, he's since been in the private sector.

Blackburn is also a UT Grad. But he worked in the athletic department in various capacities for something like 20 years, including being an associate AD, if I remember correctly. The past 4 years he's served at the AD at UTC. He's so far more experienced and qualified for the position that it's genuinely laughable that he could possibly be passed over in favor of Phil.

The AD position at UTC and UT may be similar. Doesn't really matter. Fulmer was involved in the UT athletic department for what?, 30 something years? Player, GA, Line coach, head coach, etc. I think he's more familiar with UT in different roles. What is Blackburn's major attribute as an AD that would push him past Phil? If they pick Phil or David, we have a winning situation. If, someone else is picked, I'm going to have a problem with the choice.

Reactions: 5 people
The AD position at UTC and UT may be similar. Doesn't really matter. Fulmer was involved in the UT athletic department for what?, 30 something years? Player, GA, Line coach, head coach, etc. I think he's more familiar with UT in different roles. What is Blackburn's major attribute as an AD that would push him past Phil? If they pick Phil or David, we have a winning situation. If, someone else is picked, I'm going to have a problem with the choice.

Phil was involved in the football program. Balancing budgets and hiring track and field coaches were things he never had to concern himself with. Blackburn has been involved with running entire athletic departments for the vast majority of his professional career. Not dogging on Coach, but this is a no brainer.

Reactions: 13 people
Phil was involved in the football program. Balancing budgets and hiring track and field coaches were things he never had to concern himself with. Blackburn has been involved with running entire athletic departments for the vast majority of his professional career. Not dogging on Coach, but this is a no brainer.
Most everyone balances budgets..... Hiring people is hiring people. You think DB knows other sports any better than PF? Would you rather have a guy who is going to better the football program, or swim team? Just saying

I'm happy with either, though

Reactions: 1 person

The thing is that an AD doesn't have to know everything. A good AD will surround himself with experts in every field. They will take care of the business and bring to the table decisions that need to be made. A good AD need only listen and make the necessary decision based on info provided by the experts they have hired. I think there is some misunderstanding on the qualifications for an AD in today's world. Again, I'm good with either.

Why? I don't see it as an emotional decision. Why would one be better than the other?

One is an actual athletic director and has performed well in that position.

The other has no ad experience.

Not sure why this is even a question of who should be hired.

Reactions: 5 people
I'd like to hear one of those candidates say they need to really see something out of butch for him to keep his job. I was reading an article just now about Kamara rising on everyone's board. He's likely to end up in the same class as fortenette and cook. He's maybe the third best back in the draft. And I just got to thinking that he spent the majority of the most important possessions of the season on the bench behind a guy that averaged about 2 yards or carry, obviously never remotely fit our scheme, and who was a total diva and cancer to the team! I'm mean, you can't make this $hit up. Maybe he does a good job recruiting and doing things behind the scene. But when it comes to making personnel decisions and in game/situational decisions I honestly believe the average middle school coach is more competent. And I do t think butch can help it. I think it just comes down to iq. And he's just not an intelligent guy. It's sad really.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd like to hear one of those candidates say they need to really see something out of butch for him to keep his job. I was reading an article just now about Kamara rising on everyone's board. He's likely to end up in the same class as fortenette and cook. He's maybe the third best back in the draft. And I just got to thinking that he spent the majority of the most important possessions of the season on the bench behind a guy that averaged about 2 yards or carry, obviously never remotely fit our scheme, and who was a total diva and cancer to the team! I'm mean, you can't make this $hit up. Maybe he does a good job recruiting and doing things behind the scene. But when it comes to making personnel decisions and in game/situational decisions I honestly believe the average middle school coach is more competent. And I do t think butch can help it. I think it just comes down to iq. And he's just not an intelligent guy. It's sad really.
Your talking about the guy that had Worley in over Dobbs. Hurd was a beast tough previously

I don't know what the OP is talking about - I haven't seen anyone campaigning.

Fulmer.jpg

VN Store

Back