Game Thread Lady Vols at Mississippi State

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
Date: Sunday, Feb. 26, 2017
Time: 5:00 p.m. ET

the game will be televised on

ESPN2

you can stream it here

Watch Live Sports Events and ESPN Programs Online and on Mobile Applications - WatchESPN

you can listen here

University of Tennessee powered by College Sports Live

the Lady Vols are unranked

Mississippi State is ranked 3rd in the AP Top 25 Poll and 2nd in the USA Today Coaches Poll

we need a big win Lady Vols :) stay focused and play hard and play with some pride :good!:

as all ways Go Lady Vols :clapping:

Reactions: 4 people
The Lady Vols must be prepared to handle the MS State pressure defense. In the last game none of the ladies did a very good job with this, particularly Alexa Middleton. Since that game, Alexa has shown a better ability to handle some pressure. Possibly because the teams she faced threw it at her regularly based on scouting reports that said she collapsed under pressure and she had to get better!

At any rate, if the staff does not have a plan prepared to deal with a defense they have to know is coming, including having proper spacing and help for the ball handler, as well as insuring that the players know not to let themselves get trapped on the sideline, shame on them!

This team lost to MS State by one point in overtime in Starkville last year. They have the ability to win this game.

Jim

DD needs to show up big time.along with Russell,Alexa and Nared ,she is the one I'm worried about,hopefully Nared gets back into the groove

Reactions: 1 person
In these games you have to get scoring out of your 4 and 5 players Jackson, Middleton, Reynolds, Qui. I think we need about 25 to 30 points out of these four players to win this game. I think we need to score close to 80 to win they will score a lot our defense is not that good.

I think the two biggest factors are whether or not Vivians catches fire and if Russell can deal with McCowan on both ends of the floor more successfully than last time.

My guess is that Middleton will have a hard time scoring when swarmed by the MSU defense, and if McCowan can stay out of foul trouble, she can guard MR 1-on-1 and not give up open looks for outside shooters with double teams. Maybe Jordan will finally wake up and exploit her size advantage on Williams and start posting her up.

We are giving Massey hell this year they pick us to win we lose. They pick us to lose we win. They have this one Miss St by 13 so maybe we'll give them hell again. I really feel like this is going to be a close game. They may blow us out but I feel like being the last regular game of the season the girls may come to play a full 40 minutes.

We are giving Massey hell this year they pick us to win we lose. They pick us to lose we win. They have this one Miss St by 13 so maybe we'll give them hell again. I really feel like this is going to be a close game. They may blow us out but I feel like being the last regular game of the season the girls may come to play a full 40 minutes.

What makes you think they will blow them out? I think they will be ready to play & will win on the road.

The LVs have been subpar in their last two outings, despite wins.

I look for them to put together a good all round game against MSU.

Nared breaks out of her funk; Jordan finds her groove to help DD and MR. The LVs squeak out a close win against another top 5 top.

Reactions: 2 people
What makes you think they will blow them out? I think they will be ready to play & will win on the road.

Road play all year and losing at places like Alabama, Ole Miss, and Auburn makes me think the far better team could beat us by double digits. We'll know early it is all about effort and making shots and we usually do neither on the road.
We definitely have an opportunity and could pull the upset but I do not know which team will show up.
When you've been blown out by Penn St and Auburn always a chance a good team could do it as well.

DD needs to show up big time.along with Russell,Alexa and Nared ,she is the one I'm worried about,hopefully Nared gets back into the groove

Reynolds missed shots from outside need to be followed
in by her for rebounds. With her size and agility she should get more rebounds. She only had 3 rebounds
against Florida but otherwise showed great competitive
spirit that helped fire up the team.

Lady Vols can have a bit of a redemption on their season by defeating Mississippi State.

Good luck LVs. Play to win!

GoLadyVols!:)

Last edited:
Reynolds missed shots from outside need to be followed
in by her for rebounds. With her size and agility she should get more rebounds. She only had 3 rebounds
against Florida but otherwise showed great competitive
spirit that helped fire up the team.

If your point guard is crashing the offensive boards then you better get the rebound because if you don't its a layup at the other end. Of course with a proper rotation Middleton would be in position to stop a break but I have not seen her do that all year.

The LVs have been subpar in their last two outings, despite wins.

I look for them to put together a good all round game against MSU.

Nared breaks out of her funk; Jordan finds her groove to help DD and MR. The LVs squeak out a close win against another top 5 top.

That would make day. GLV

Diamond, bless her soul, is the best fast break stopper on this team from where ever
she happens to be starting from Vol offensive end. When a point guard follows an outside
shot for rebound and can see no chance of getting the rebound then she should immediately turn back in case of a fast break.

I hope the LVs come out growling and snarling and crashing the boards for rebounds, instead of starting down the court as soon as the shot is in the air. All 5 go for the danged ball! No shortcuts!

Let our post play low instead of roaming around 15 feet from the basket. Set picks with someone else.

Emphasize EVERYbody ALL IN ALL GAME. For one %$@* game, everybody gives total effort!

I'd like to see everyone play with the joy Alexa seems to have, being a Lady Vol, but if players can't muster up that enthusiasm, at least they need to be psyched to win this game!

I hope the LVs come out growling and snarling and crashing the boards for rebounds, instead of starting down the court as soon as the shot is in the air. All 5 go for the danged ball! No shortcuts!

Let our post play low instead of roaming around 15 feet from the basket. Set picks with someone else.

Emphasize EVERYbody ALL IN ALL GAME. For one %$@* game, everybody gives total effort!

I'd like to see everyone play with the joy Alexa seems to have, being a Lady Vol, but if players can't muster up that enthusiasm, at least they need to be psyched to win this game!

Alexa has been great. Last game I thought she would "bust a gut" getting back on defense after a turnover...her speed and EFFORT to do so were impressive, just sheer determination to get it done. Like what did Candace say, "we only have to make 5 consecutive stops to win", and they did!!

Also her end of game defense was a real difference maker!!

Love her game and attitude.

Alexa has been great. Last game I thought she would "bust a gut" getting back on defense after a turnover...her speed and EFFORT to do so were impressive, just sheer determination to get it done. Like what did Candace say, "we only have to make 5 consecutive stops to win", and they did!!

Also her end of game defense was a real difference maker!!

Love her game and attitude.

Same...love the obvious love she has for
playing and willingness to put in the extra effort to improve her game. Alexa has put in lots of time on her own after practice was over and her efforts have really been paying off.

Alexa has really improved. I look for her to be a leader next season and I am sure she will put in the off season work on defense.

It aint gonna happen. It's a shame, but true. We do not match up well with this team. Same old story. Just a different opponent. No team respects us anymore.

Last edited:
It aint gonna happen. It's a shame, but true. We do not match up well with this team. Same old story. Just a different opponent. No team respects us anymore.

You have to earn respect by forcing your will on the other team until they fold. Pat's teams used to do it all the time.

VN Store

Back