Did some research on GT

LeBleu

I been watching game film on GT, (youtube lol ) and they are not that good. It seems like the scheme is justified by "if" the Defense makes enough mistakes. For example they usually pass less than a hundred yards a game, but when they do the WR walks into the endzone based off of a miss read. If our D can make good choices. the game is in the bag.

Reactions: 9 people
GT's style of the triple option (Based out of the flexbone formation) relies on deception to throw the defense off. A team would have to be very disciplined on defense to not have trouble stopping them, but thankfully our Vols have the whole offseason to prepare. A couple of other things we have going for us is the fact that triple option offenses can be very mistake-prone and, as OP stated, are one dimensional. Getting them into third and medium or long situations essentially puts their offense on the ropes.

Side note- Something really needs to be done about the cut blocks they do throughout the entire game.

Reactions: 5 people
Seems like I heard that b4 the Air Force game as well. Hopefully the coaches will keep overconfidence out of the training complex since we cannot keep it off the forum boards.

Reactions: 12 people
We should score 60 on their defence

It really is a great first game for a new starting QB. While our defense has to be smart and well-trained against their offense, when we have the ball things couldn't be much better. Enough of a challenge to be a litmus test for the lad (whichever it is), but not so much that he's likely to be overwhelmed.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll wait for D4H's evaluation of their tape

Why not put him on ignore like most sensible posters? I don't understand engaging someone with whom no one respects.

On the subject matter, I'm not understanding the reservations of playing Tech. Lots of time to prepare means an easy win.

Reactions: 2 people
Have more confidence now than I did at end of season that we can play assignment football with Warren at DB coach. UNC played them so he is used to their tendencies.

Reactions: 3 people
WOW! 10 posts and not a SINGLE...

"Wheegunnawhipdeyazz!"

BTW...

Wheegunnawhipdeyazz!

Why not put him on ignore like most sensible posters? I don't understand engaging someone with whom no one respects.

On the subject matter, I'm not understanding the reservations of playing Tech. Lots of time to prepare means an easy win.

I like the entertainment value.

Reactions: 6 people
The part that worries is that you have to prepare specifically for this type of offense then toss it out the window and get on with the season. I like the fact that it's the 1st game of the year and not in the middle of the season. Maybe the discipline needed for the GT game will carry over to their "normal" D.

Reactions: 10 people
Seems like I heard that b4 the Air Force game as well. Hopefully the coaches will keep overconfidence out of the training complex since we cannot keep it off the forum boards.

Sewanee owns us...hope we don't schedule them. :scare:

Reactions: 5 people

I have no one on ignore. You don't have to use the ignore feature to keep from engaging in a conversation with someone. Like ktown, I enjoy the entertainment.

I totally understand the reservations of playing GT. Or damn near anyone at this point. I gaurenteed a 24 point beat down of SC last year.

I think we win, but it won't surprise me if we don't.

Sucks feeling that way. Is what it is.

Reactions: 10 people
I'm not as confident as some here. They will be breaking in a new QB, but Paul Johnson is a helluva coach and has a track record that suggests he will have GT ready to play. They run the triple option and do a lot of cut blocking, which is a concern from an injury standpoint. They have won some bowl games in recent years vs. SEC opponents and have always been competitive, even when they lose. They beat UGA and VT last season. I do not expect an easy win. I'll just be happy with a win.

Reactions: 3 people
GT's style of the triple option (Based out of the flexbone formation) relies on deception to throw the defense off. A team would have to be very disciplined on defense to not have trouble stopping them, but thankfully our Vols have the whole offseason to prepare. A couple of other things we have going for us is the fact that triple option offenses can be very mistake-prone and, as OP stated, are one dimensional. Getting them into third and medium or long situations essentially puts their offense on the ropes.

Side note- Something really needs to be done about the cut blocks they do throughout the entire game.

Probably be a lot of 15 yard penalties . :boxing2:

I'm not as confident as some here. They will be breaking in a new QB, but Paul Johnson is a helluva coach and has a track record that suggests he will have GT ready to play. They run the triple option and do a lot of cut blocking, which is a concern from an injury standpoint. They have won some bowl games in recent years vs. SEC opponents and have always been competitive, even when they lose. They beat UGA and VT last season. I do not expect an easy win. I'll just be happy with a win.

I watched that game, and it was comparable to us playing Texas A&M, but having a better chance to win. VT would do one thing good then 4 things bad.

I do respect what they bring to the table, but If our D stays on assignment. It's over.

Last edited:
I watched that game, and it was comparable to us playing Texas A&M, but having a better chance to win. VT would do one thing good then 4 things bad.

I do respect what they bring to the table, but If our D stays on assignment. It's over.

I hope you're right.

WOW! 10 posts and not a SINGLE...

"Wheegunnawhipdeyazz!"

BTW...

Wheegunnawhipdeyazz!

NO DOUBT!

For whatever reason...injuries, team chemistry/leadership, coaching... the team got away from fundamentals that kept us in games in prior years, when we were much less talented. If this group of talented, but largely unknown players can get back to limiting penalties and turnovers, and solid tackling and defending passes, I think we'll be in good shape. If we take on same tendencies as LY, it's going to be a long season, w/ arguably less talent. FWIW, I've got a good feeling about this group + new coaching staff/strength coach. Wheegunnawhipdeyazz

Anybody run analysis of GT recruiting classes the last 5 years?

According to 247: starting from 2013 first then ending in 2017 the composites are
rank
76,56,44,59,47. According to espn in that time span there are 4 espn 300 players, and 13 4stars.

VN Store

Back