Josh Malone on the QB race and receivers

Building up to be a Manning/Stewart fall camp!

Cept that was for 3rd and 4th string. Jerry Colquitt was the undisputed starter and Todd Helton the same as backup. There was thought that both true freshmen may redshirt.

Reactions: 6 people
I for one hope the QB battle is a quick, decisive contest.

We will be so much better off if one man is the obvious starter. QB controversies are the worst.

Reactions: 7 people

More like Joe Flacco vs Colin Kaepernick.

That is who Dormady and Guarantano remind me of respectively. I believe both play this season and given their differing skill sets they will work well together.

I think we'll make a 2 QB system actually work.

Reactions: 3 people

That is who Dormady and Guarantano remind me of respectively. I believe both play this season and given their differing skill sets they will work well together.

Which ones which....

We will be so much better off if one man is the obvious starter. QB controversies are the worst.

I agree, I think a qb controversy is the type of thing that loses you a game like GT and then gets set thereafter.

Reactions: 2 people
Cept that was for 3rd and 4th string. Jerry Colquitt was the undisputed starter and Todd Helton the same as backup. There was thought that both true freshmen may redshirt.

I felt so bad for Colquitt. I remember before the season a friend telling me how good he was going to be, only for him to get hurt during the UCLA game so early in the year. I often wonder how good he could have been. :sad:

Reactions: 5 people
I agree, I think a qb controversy is the type of thing that loses you a game like GT and then gets set thereafter.

It can be a QB competition without being a controversy. I agree with the other poster who said that we may very well make ongoing use of their different styles and talents.

Reactions: 2 people

Depends on the HC's ability to adapt to the strengths of each. Multiple QB's were never a problem for Spurrier or Myer. I'm sure there are others. CBJ hasn't shown me he knows how to excel with one, let alone more than one, and that should concern every Vol fan.

Reactions: 1 person
Depends on the HC's ability to adapt to the strengths of each. Multiple QB's were never a problem for Spurrier or Myer. I'm sure there are others. CBJ hasn't shown me he knows how to excel with one, let alone more than one, and that should concern every Vol fan.

Did Butch not have more than one season at Cincy where he used multiple QBs? A DT and PS. May be thinking about a replacement mid-season after injury tho.

I felt so bad for Colquitt. I remember before the season a friend telling me how good he was going to be, only for him to get hurt during the UCLA game so early in the year. I often wonder how good he could have been. :sad:

I wonder if there was some behind the scene dealings with him not getting a waiver from the NCAA?

I hope not, Stewart left. Dormady will be a junior, Guarantano a freshman. If Dormady wins the start, I hope Guarantano hangs in there. If Dormady does well enough, he might go pro after one year. The team would then become the G Man's as a sophomore.

Dormady would leave Flacco in the dust in a foot race.

Reactions: 4 people
“Quinten is very smart, he’s real savvy in the pocket. When he throws the ball, it’s basically a perfect ball almost every time.

This is what Dormady showed in the spring, and if he can do it game in and game out, we will all be happy come December.

Reactions: 5 people

He really pushed Shuler! Would never overtake him of course, but whatever passed as fan buzz would have the occasional "he may be better" pop up. He seemed to fix a little unusual hitch in his throwing motion and you could always see the zip in his passes in garbage time. Would put the emptiness I felt watching him clutch at his knee up against a few games for sheer deadness. Was hoping against hope he would get that sixth year because I didn't see Manning being as durable as he proved to be.

He really pushed Shuler! Would never overtake him of course, but whatever passed as fan buzz would have the occasional "he may be better" pop up. He seemed to fix a little unusual hitch in his throwing motion and you could always see the zip in his passes in garbage time. Would put the emptiness I felt watching him clutch at his knee up against a few games for sheer deadness. Was hoping against hope he would get that sixth year because I didn't see Manning being as durable as he proved to be.

I remember it like last week. Option play to the left. Seemed like he turned the corner too.

I wonder if there was some behind the scene dealings with him not getting a waiver from the NCAA?

Really got paranoid due to Rusty Medearis from Miami getting season after season of waivers until he just quit with no knee left. As we now know, Colquitt's redshirt wasn't medical...so he wasn't eligible for another one that was.

I remember it like last week. Option play to the left. Seemed like he turned the corner too.

So smooth and a different dimension with the option. Shuler had speed to spare but he didn't have the instincts for option pitches...so you knew he was going to keep it 98% of the time. Young 24 year old butchna was dreaming Heisman until...:thud:

Yeah, he was heading up field, probably gained 4 or 5 yards before he was tackled and hurt. As I watched the replay, it seemed like he slowed down or braced for the hit a little early. I always thought that's why he got hurt. If he had just continued full speed, he never would have got hurt, imo. I know some people will disagree, but I've seen the play at least 20 times. If u can find it, watch it again and tell me if u think he slowed up and/or braced for the hit? It was a shame, tho. I think if he stays healthy, UT wins 10 games that year or at least, beats UCLA.

Yeah, he was heading up field, probably gained 4 or 5 yards before he was tackled and hurt. As I watched the replay, it seemed like he slowed down or braced for the hit a little early. I always thought that's why he got hurt. If he had just continued full speed, he never would have got hurt, imo. I know some people will disagree, but I've seen the play at least 20 times. If u can find it, watch it again and tell me if u think he slowed up and/or braced for the hit? It was a shame, tho. I think if he stays healthy, UT wins 10 games that year or at least, beats UCLA.

Oh, definately, yes I noticed that exact same thing. Almost as if he had a premonition.

If you're gonna make that comparison, looks like I think a lot more of JG and his potential than you do. The QD to Flacco comparison is probably a good one, although it's difficult to know right now given how little we've seen of Quentin. But generally yes....both are big, strong armed pocket passers who can really spin it.

Last edited:
It can be a QB competition without being a controversy. I agree with the other poster who said that we may very well make ongoing use of their different styles and talents.

I agree gmc.....controversy seems to maybe not be the right word here, not sure it applies. Got two very good options and we're just gonna use fall camp and maybe the first couple of games to sort out who the better option is. Seems to be a good situation rather than a "controversy" imho.

Normally a QB controversy starts when the QBs are in the same class and the loser realizes he will never see the field. Luckily these guys are 2 years apart

VN Store

Back