QB Problem?????

MikeTheVol

I just watched Will McBride's film for the first time. I was very surprised. He's a baller. He reminds me of Eric Crouch from the 90's at Nebraska. He's tough, he's got that 6th sense of being able to get out of a jam while scrambling (like Dobbs), he's a really good runner with some speed and agility, and he's got an accurate arm (he's one up on Crouch in that regard).

I've seen threads on here about playing two QB's. Let's face it, when good QB's don't get to play these days, they transfer. There's no sitting behind the #1 guy and waiting it out any more. Let's face also the fact, that Butch and staff are playing this thing out to the hilt to keep one of their QB's from transferring. I don't believe in the two QB system and same goes for 90% of coaches and I seriously don't think Butch does either.

With McBride waiting in the wings, I think we're going to be good either way. Even if for example, QD is named QB, and JG transfers, we will have a good QB in queue in case QD is injured. As far as him being freshman? Remember, Dobbs got some of his first action against the might Bammers and he did okay, not great, but okay.

It's still off season and folks are grasping at straws to stir conversation. This is my attempt. Your thoughts?

Reactions: 3 people
We have a barn full of great QB's right now and may the best man play. It's a good problem to have. And yes, WM is not getting the attention because he is slight shorter in stature, but I will continue to say he is a deadly QB with some serious guns on him. He's young and looks as strong as anyone on the team already. He's built a little like Paul Bane (please don't hurt me PB).

Reactions: 6 people
We have a barn full of great QB's right now and may the best man play. It's a good problem to have. And yes, WM is not getting the attention because he is slight shorter in stature, but I will continue to say he is a deadly QB with some serious guns on him. He's young and looks as strong as anyone on the team already. He's built a little like Paul Bane (please don't hurt me PB).

It's Mr. Bain to you. If you are going to misspell a name, it shouldn't be his!

Reactions: 4 people
Oh how things change when we're bored! Had to talk some posters off the bridge because we only signed one 3 star QB. I thought he had some promise and was eventual depth at a loaded position. Blinked and he's a "future star". :lol: Breathe people...breathe.

Reactions: 3 people
I just watched Will McBride's film for the first time. I was very surprised. He's a baller. He reminds me of Eric Crouch from the 90's at Nebraska. He's tough, he's got that 6th sense of being able to get out of a jam while scrambling (like Dobbs), he's a really good runner with some speed and agility, and he's got an accurate arm (he's one up on Crouch in that regard).

I've seen threads on here about playing two QB's. Let's face it, when good QB's don't get to play these days, they transfer. There's no sitting behind the #1 guy and waiting it out any more. Let's face also the fact, that Butch and staff are playing this thing out to the hilt to keep one of their QB's from transferring. I don't believe in the two QB system and same goes for 90% of coaches and I seriously don't think Butch does either.

With McBride waiting in the wings, I think we're going to be good either way. Even if for example, QD is named QB, and JG transfers, we will have a good QB in queue in case QD is injured. As far as him being freshman? Remember, Dobbs got some of his first action against the might Bammers and he did okay, not great, but okay.

It's still off season and folks are grasping at straws to stir conversation. This is my attempt. Your thoughts?

McBride will redshirt next season unless another QB's gets injured.

Reactions: 1 person
He kinda reminds me of the young Rex Grossman. Remember, when the #1 recruit Brock Berlin was hailed before the season, but the unknown northern kid took over the competition. He was not a huge recruit, but he pursued Spurrier until Steve relented and signed him. But, the little guy was tough and smart and just flat out better. Went on and made $$$ to.

Grossman is a mixed bag in the NFL. But, I've never seen a tougher QB ever than what our 2001 defense threw around like a rag doll. Our orange colored glasses easily allow to forget that the 01' Gator offense was the best ever under CSS, iirc.

The point is you never know.

If our 3rd team QB is getting real snaps then we do have a problem
He kinda reminds me of the young Rex Grossman. Remember, when the #1 recruit Brock Berlin was hailed before the season, but the unknown northern kid took over the competition. He was not a huge recruit, but he pursued Spurrier until Steve relented and signed him. But, the little guy was tough and smart and just flat out better. Went on and made $$$ to.

Grossman was a big time recruit

Grossman was recognized as the 1998 Indiana Player of the Year by USA Today, was ranked among the top fifteen players in the nation by the National Recruiting Advisor, and Parade magazine named him to its high school All-America team.[2] He received statewide honors when he was named Indiana's Mr. Football later that year.[2]

Reactions: 2 people

I agree.. Happened before with guys name Fergason and Peterson.

I agree.. Happened before with guys name Fergason and Peterson.

On purpose? Riley FERGUSON transferred to NOWHERE for a season after finding himself behind a CLASSMATE with three years of eligibility remaining. PeterMAN spent 3 seasons here and transferred when his prospects for playing time went nil. In this situation, we have a talented kid with FOUR seasons of eligibility who MAY have to sit behind a more experience candidate with TWO seasons of eligibility. Nowhere near the situation that "happened before".

Reactions: 6 people
I've seen threads on here about playing two QB's. Let's face it, when good QB's don't get to play these days, they transfer. There's no sitting behind the #1 guy and waiting it out any more.

They do when they choose to be part of a big time program. Maybe when we allow ourselves to think that way about ours, we can accept that winning mentality.

On purpose? Riley FERGUSON transferred to NOWHERE for a season after finding himself behind a CLASSMATE with three years of eligibility remaining. PeterMAN spent 3 seasons here and transferred when his prospects for playing time went nil. In this situation, we have a talented kid with FOUR seasons of eligibility who MAY have to sit behind a more experience candidate with TWO seasons of eligibility. Nowhere near the situation that "happened before".

VN spell-checker super star...:rock:

PS. VOL KNOWLEDGEABLE TOO...:)

GO VOLS!

If our 3rd team QB is getting real snaps then we do have a problem

Grossman was a big time recruit

Who walked from the Swamp all blue and green and Clausen in orange and white.

The swamp can fall silent on the 50 with the students when you pound the rock.

I plan on being there. Hope its better than that chokefest 2 years ago.

I too am very impressed by McBride. I see Manzeil without the drug problems. Scrambles extremely well, great vision of the whole field and has a great delivery too. I don't see McBride staying off the field too long. I hope we can hang onto him.

Last edited:
Hard to believe the throws he made as a senior, his ability to scramble, decision making and ability to run and he was only a 3*. Something in that system is broken! :loco::loco::loco::loco::loco::loco:

Reactions: 2 people

If JG were to transfer he would not play for two years. That is the same time he would play if he stayed here.

VN Store

Back