Let's Tell it Like it is

BigOrangeLoyalist

Yes, we lost 30-10.

However, this team was completely different than the team we've seen since Florida. Receiving the kick after the half during the nice little 8 minute hurricane was a terrible stroke of luck and a monumental game changer. Sucks, but that's life. Especially as a Tennessee fan.

The defense played a good game. They allowed 281 yards, but 10 of the 30 points were due to muffed punts by Calloway. Give him a break here - 25 mph winds and a wet ball are tough to bring in.

Play calling was better, but not great. Then again, you only have 1 week to make changes. Implement new things. We lined up in the I more tonight than we have in 5 combined years.

Taking away the 10 points we gave them, we played a decent game. Change won't occur overnight, but it is evident that Butch clearly handicapped the coaches.

Hats off to Warren.

We have talent, we just need more than a week of development. Hopefully the injury bug can leave with Butch.

Have a happy Thanksgiving and Christmas - at least we won't be driving through inclement weather.

Edit: This was not a moral victory. LSU IS and was the better team, but for UT, 10 games into the season, ... well, there is only so much you can do. And, Walt Wells needs to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Eh. The second half looked like the same ole un athletic, uninspired, hurt, lack luster performance we've watched all year.

The first half they really do show energy and desire.

Reactions: 15 people
Eh. The second half looked like the same ole un athletic, uninspired, hurt, lack luster performance we've watched all year.

The first half they really do show energy and deisre.

I agree but to be fair the start of that half totally dug us into a deeper hole, and it wasn't necessarily anyone's fault. That weather was ridiculous.

And to those who say we should have kicked off to begin the half, that's easy to say now. Hindsight is 20/20. What if we would have received the ball and went and scored? Points and possessions are a premium its hard to kick the ball away there.

Larry Scott may have been calling plays all along. He’s terrible as OC

May be, but we saw different things on offense. Different formations, new plays, a deviation. Plus he was on the sideline. If you take a step back, we could chalk this up as his "first game as an OC" imo.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, we lost 30-10.

However, this team was completely different than the team we've seen since Florida. Receiving the kick after the half during the nice little 8 minute hurricane was a terrible stroke of luck and a monumental game changer. Sucks, but that's life. Especially as a Tennessee fan.

The defense played a good game. They allowed 281 yards, but 10 of the 30 points were due to muffed punts by Calloway. Give him a break here - 25 mph winds and a wet ball are tough to bring in.

Play calling was better, but not great. Then again, you only have 1 week to make changes. Implement new things. We lined up in the I more tonight than we have in 5 combined years.

Taking away the 10 points we gave them, we played a decent game. Change won't occur overnight, but it is evident that Butch clearly handicapped the coaches.

Hats off to Warren.

We have talent, we just need more than a week of development. Hopefully the injury bug can leave with Butch.

Have a happy Thanksgiving and Christmas - at least we won't be driving through inclement weather.

Edit: This was not a moral victory. LSU IS and was the better team, but for UT, 10 games into the season, ... well, there is only so much you can do. And, Walt Wells needs to go.

Looked like the same sorry mess we've seen all year to me

The Vols fought hard for most of the 1st half, but the talent difference was evident in the 2nd half just like it's been all year, unfortunately :banghead2:

Recorded the game.... Just got done watching. Are we going to be able to field a team next year? I mean, we look the part, got nice gear, stadium, facilities, lots of fans. No matter who is hired even if he is a football genius at all aspects of the game. Will the players we have be able to be competitive next year?

The team looks so slow and sluggish...Saw some excitement early on but after that its like they knew what was coming...This is without doubt the worse offense I have personally ever seen at Tennessee and I've seen a lot of football over there...JG is so paranoid about getting sacked "With good reason" that he is rushing everything he throws...Twice the receivers bailed him out...This offensive line is horrid...They can't block for s**t...Kelly was getting bum rushed everytime he touched the ball...This all leads me to wonder what the next coach is going to be able to do with this bunch.

As I said in another thread
1. New coach has to clean house
2. Be honest with the players....so they can make their decisions about transferring
3. I see Warrior, Bituli, with the biggest improvements on defense
4. Running backs are out strength on offense
5. I see #17 Brandon Johnson as our best receiver...but for some reason hardly plays...and yet makes beautiful catches when he is in
6. Offensive line of course Trey and other than that are more freshman who with proper coaching may very well become very good....
7. At QB...well QD never stopped throwing off his back foot....
JG..even though a redshirt freshman looks like he is a little afraid...he is really slow
This is next to last game and I dont know if I remember a QB that could properly
lead a receiver properly with a long pass...and this is college ball
8. Stop recruiting tall receivers if they cannot make the proper cuts...what good is a tall
receiver if he can hardly catch the ball and he can't get open..
9. Lastly, get coaches who and REALLY evaluate talent for their positions

Reactions: 2 people
I agree but to be fair the start of that half totally dug us into a deeper hole, and it wasn't necessarily anyone's fault. That weather was ridiculous.

And to those who say we should have kicked off to begin the half, that's easy to say now. Hindsight is 20/20. What if we would have received the ball and went and scored? Points and possessions are a premium its hard to kick the ball away there.

I remember a similar game a lot of years ago - think against Auburn. We kicked on 3rd down at least a couple of times. The QB quick kick should absolutely be in the playbook for weather conditions like tonight; this offense should never have tried to do anything with the ball at the start of the second half - especially backed up to the goal line.

It not Walt's fault that we have walk ons/practice squad 260 lb linemen playing against LSU's starters

VN Store

Back