Barnes Named Coach of the Year Semifinalist

VEKZY

UTSports Article

Congrats Coach Barnes.

Tennessee basketball coach Rick Barnes was named by the Atlanta Tipoff Club on Friday as one of 10 semifinalists for the Werner Ladder Naismith Trophy for Men's College Coach of the Year.

In his third season at Tennessee, Barnes has taken a team picked in the preseason to finish 13th in the 14-team Southeastern Conference to a 20-7 (10-5 SEC) record and second-place in the current league standings. The Volunteers are rated No. 11 in the NCAA's RPI listing and have spent 12 consecutive weeks in the Associated Press Top-25 poll. Tennessee has won eight games away from home and defeated five "Power Five" opponents during non-conference play (Purdue, NC State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and Iowa State).

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
The Werner Ladder Naismith Trophy for Men's College Coach of the Year will be announced on during the Naismith Awards brunch April 1 at Pearl Stable in San Antonio, Texas.

Is BBQ on the menu?:)

Reactions: 2 people
Unless Bruce Pearl survives the FBI mess, I can see Rick Barnes winning Coach of the Year.

He’s done a fantastic job.

Reactions: 4 people
What's happening this year with this team is one of my biggest thrills as a Vols fan . Volnation needed this, I know I did after the last few years... Coach Barnes deserves this award for turning things around this year , We get past the sweet 16 I think he gets coach of the year.

Congrats coach Barnes. You have brought this team from the bottoms to the "TOPS". I like the way you coach and treat the players with respect and on an adult level.

GBO

Reactions: 1 person
How I would rank the 10 semifinalists (although I think the Top 3 are the most deserving)
1. Rick Barnes
2. Chris Holtmann
3. Tony Bennett
4. Bruce Pearl
5. Matt Painter
6. Brad Brownell
7. Mick Cronin
8. Chris Beard
9. Chris Mack
10. Jay Wright

How I would rank the 10 semifinalists (although I think the Top 3 are the most deserving)
1. Rick Barnes
2. Chris Holtmann
3. Tony Bennett
4. Bruce Pearl
5. Matt Painter
6. Brad Brownell
7. Mick Cronin
8. Chris Beard
9. Chris Mack
10. Jay Wright

I would move Mack way up. First Big East title for Xavier, although they are a perennial Sweet 16 team

VN Store

Back