Crayola Crayons -- Love em All

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Remember the Crayola box from childhood?

s0969303_sc7

Unless you were a really weird kid, you didn't open the box, pick out a green one, and declare all the other crayons 'evil.'

So why do we do that with our coaches?

Here's some of what causes argument, strife, and unhappiness on VN.com:
  • Johnny Majors supporters can't forgive Phil Fulmer
  • Phil supporters retroactively hate Johnny
  • Those stuck liking Derek Dooley (before we knew who he really was) feel obliged to hate Butch Jones
  • Those who went all-in for Butch (before we knew who he really was) feel obliged to hate Jeremy Pruitt
  • The Grudenites (I love them to death, but they are often irrational in this way) can't like any coach not named Jon
  • and on and on it goes....
But it doesn't have to be that way.

Aside from Lane Kiffin (who, like the peach crayon, rightfully gets mocked as lame), it's okay to like all the crayons. It's okay to like a blue one, or two, as well as a green one, and a couple of red ones, and most especially the orange one. Even the yellow one can get some love.

Let go of the hate. Just because the coach you most wanted to succeed is now gone, that doesn't mean you have to look down your nose at the guy who took his place, or the guy who took that guy's place.

We've had good coaches and bad ones. The bad ones generally tried to do good for us, they just lacked values (Kiffin), or leadership (Dooley) or intellect (Jones). No need to hate on them; just let them go.

And let's all rally behind the guy we have now, who may--just may--get us back to where Tennessee football belongs.

Embrace the whole pack! Well, except that crimson one, throw it in the trash. 63 is plenty.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 people

s0969303_sc7

Unless you were a really weird kid, you didn't open the box, pick out a green one, and declare all the other crayons 'evil.'

• Those stuck liking Derek Dooley (before we knew who he really was) feel obliged to hate Butch Jones
  • Those who went all-in for Butch (before we knew who he really was) feel obliged to hate Jeremy Pruitt

Aside from Lane Kiffin (who, like the peach crayon, rightfully gets mocked as lame), it's okay to like all the crayons. It's okay to like a blue one, or two, as well as a green one, and a couple of red ones, and most especially the orange one. Even the yellow one can get some love.

Let go of the hate. Just because the coach you most wanted to succeed is now gone, that doesn't mean you have to look down your nose at the guy who took his place, or the guy who took that guy's place.

We've had good coaches and bad ones. The bad ones generally tried to do good for us, they just lacked values (Kiffin), or leadership (Dooley) or intellect (Jones). No need to hate on them; just let them go.

And let's all rally behind the guy we have now, who may--just may--get us back to where Tennessee football belongs.

Embrace the whole pack! Well, except that crimson one, throw it in the trash. 63 is plenty.

Go Vols!

Our coach is the crimson one.

Reactions: 5 people

s0969303_sc7

Go Vols!

Speak for yourself. Any crayons that were any shade of red were declared evil....

Reactions: 2 people
Our coach is the crimson one.

Man, I just knew someone was going to say that. :)

But he's not. Not really. He's had some crimson influence (okay, a lot of crimson influence) and some garnett & gold influence, and some UGa red & black influence, but he's now orange, even if maybe not quite yet PMS-151 precise. And he'll become more and more orange every day, month, year.

Not worried about Jeremy having other colors in his background. Only interested in what legacy he creates for himself with our Vols.

But thanks for being the one to make the link; I knew it was coming. :good!:

Reactions: 7 people
Man, I just knew someone was going to say that. :)

But he's not. Not really. He's had some crimson influence (okay, a lot of crimson influence) and some garnett & gold influence, and some UGa red & black influence, but he's now orange, even if maybe not quite yet PMS-151 precise. And he'll become more and more orange every day, month, year.

Not worried about Jeremy having other colors in his background. Only interested in what legacy he creates for himself with our Vols.

But thanks for being the one to make the link; I knew it was coming. :good!:

I don't mind either. My guess is if and when Saban retires and Bama comes knocking for Pruitt then that means he would've done a dang good job here. Perfectly ok imo.

Reactions: 1 person
Where, and who, is the built in sharpener?

Maybe we are?

Keeping the coaches (crayons) on point? Not letting them get away with being dull?

Or maybe the AD is supposed to be the sharpener. That would match the other thread where Tuberville goes on about Fulmer mentoring Pruitt.

Analogies can be pushed too far, but I think this is a decent expansion of the idea. My money would be on the AD.

Where, and who, is the built in sharpener?

There is no sharpener. We love the new coach like we love the new crayon. It's sharp and seemingly capable of limitless creativity and possibilities.

The old coach gets worn-down, dull and blunted. We don't trust him to be sharp and precise any more. So we realize he no longer serves a purpose and we start looking for the next brand new crayon that's just a little different color, maybe, but we can still feel good about it's ability to get the job done.

s0969303_sc7

• The Grudenites (I love them to death, but they are often irrational in this way) can't like any coach not named Jon

Go Vols!

Its an interesting topic that I think is hard for some to discuss honestly. If you say anything positive about one of those guys, you're a lover, apologists or worshipper. So a lot of people won't say what they really think. IMO.

I hate the negative impact all of those coaches had on the program, but I don't hate any of them. Would have been interesting to see how Kiffin would have done had he stuck around.

I had a problem with hiring Pruitt, but I got over it. Just like all those other coaches, all I want is for him to succeed.

Reactions: 6 people
Its an interesting topic that I think is hard for some to discuss honestly. If you say anything positive about one of those guys, you're a lover, apologists or worshipper. So a lot of people won't say what they really think. IMO.

I hate the negative impact all of those coaches had on the program, but I don't hate any of them. Would have been interesting to see how Kiffin would have done had he stuck around.

I had a problem with hiring Pruitt, but I got over it. Just like all those other coaches, all I want is for him to succeed.

Ha! I caught you reading one of my posts, Behr! :)

Seriously, I respect that about you, that you got over your initial reaction to the Pruitt hire. If only we could all reassess our initial impressions so well. Not talking about CJP specifically, but throughout life.

Last edited:
Well crayons are inanimate objects, they can’t really make bad decisions or do anything wrong. This is just a really weird analogy for coaches...

:crazy:

Reactions: 1 person
Well crayons are inanimate objects, they can’t really make bad decisions or do anything wrong. This is just a really weird analogy for coaches...

:crazy:

I know, right? That's kind of part of the point, here.

Coaches are, like any other humans, dynamic, evolving beings. Even if they were as inanimate and unchanging as crayons, it wouldn't make sense to declare hate for one, now and forever (as some here do). But since they do evolve and grow and change, getting into one set position and never re-evaluating is even more weird.

Right?

From childhood?
Crayons are only for children?

I immediately got the mental image of a Fortune 500 CEO showing up to sign merger papers with a pink crayon, heh.

But of course you're right, Ed, colors are for everyone.

Only if you eat them. If you're an adult and eat them, that's just weird.

Brings to mind the time I actually bit into a crayon.
As a wee lad, I had the habit of walking around with loose peanuts in my pants pocket. For whatever reason, on the day in question, I also had short bits of used crayon of various colors in the same pocket since I had been working in my new coloring book just prior to going outside to play and I had to keep my siblings from pilfering "my" crayons. So, this was an accident just waiting to happen. After munching on a few of the goobers, the next tasty morsel I just happened to pull from my pocket and pop into my mouth turned out to be one of the aforementioned bits of crayon. At first I thought I must have bitten into a rotten peanut, only to pull the offending masticated morsel from my mouth to see that it was, in fact, not a peanut. Needless to say, I'll never forget the flavor of the orange crayon. Yuck! doesn't begin to describe the awful taste.

VN Store

Back