Unlike the last three coaches, the more I see of Pruitt the better I feel

Eddie Vol Halen

Senior Life Champion
I think the cornbread gif is probably a bigger positive to the program than the last three coaches combined.

Despite being a big Fulmer fan, I was decidedly unimpressed with the Pruitt hire. But by this time in their tenure Coach Freshwater and delivered the Pahokee Package, Dooley had washed us with Showergate and Butch was the ringleader in his circus of cliches. The flush of initial optimism once they reached campus (except Kiffin which was always going to end in disaster), Stooley and Botch from the start were metriculating to the status of former head coaches in my eyes.

Maybe I started from from a different place with Pruitt but it's different this time. His "I will confront them" after the Orange and White Game is just light years from "Looking for Rommel" or 366, bricks, Life Champions. Recruiting looks poised in the right direction. I have more confidence the team will be SEC ready.

We got to see what happens on Fall Saturdays but for the first time in a decade a coach is not disappointing me moments after he arrives on campus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
I'm with ya; only thing is I've heard multiple Bammer's that are thinking he will be their next HC, and one of those that stated this is related to Pruitt, and his parent's live In Rainsville AL.

I'm with ya; only thing is I've heard multiple Bammer's that are thinking he will be their next HC, and one of those that stated this is related to Pruitt, and his parent's live In Rainsville AL.

If he does a good enough job to be the next in line to follow the most successful HC in CFB history, I will take it !

Reactions: 10 people

Nobody knows what Pruitt is gonna do except for Pruitt. He might wanna build his own legacy here and who in their right mind would rather live in Tuscaloosa than Knoxville on top of that.

Reactions: 7 people
Nobody knows what Pruitt is gonna do except for Pruitt. He might wanna build his own legacy here and who in their right mind would rather live in Tuscaloosa than Knoxville on top of that.

Agreed. It takes a ton of work to build a championship level program and have everything set up the way you want it. If he is competing for championships, jumping to another program might not be such a quick decision.

Reactions: 1 person

Same concern that was voiced with Dooley and UGA? They’d shoot for Dabo first anyway. Let Pruitt coach a little before we crown him the Saban heir.

Reactions: 6 people
There was an article earlier this year stating that very powerful donors to Alabama's program would never allow Pruitt to return because he became head coach of a bitter rival.

He has pulled a couple or so rookie moves, but they were not football related.

The O&W game showed me that I might not be able to guess our plays based off formation, I might not see the same formation twice in a qtr.

Our defense is still the wildcard for this fall. I don’t expect CJP&S to force the issue to make a point. He seems to be on the page that the time to win is now and he will be judged harshly if the team doesn’t play well at any point of any season. He has no equity as a Vol, but with a few good early showings that get the W, he might prove himself to be the coach we all want and expect on The Hill.

When the gumps come calling(I hope they do.), UT can’t let it be about money.

Reactions: 2 people
Same concern that was voiced with Dooley and UGA? They’d shoot for Dabo first anyway. Let Pruitt coach a little before we crown him the Saban heir.

Why the hell we wanna do that? You want to fire him before he coaches a game.

Reactions: 3 people
I think the cornbread gif is probably a bigger positive to the program than the last three coaches combined.

Despite being a big Fulmer fan, I was decidedly unimpressed with the Pruitt hire. But by this time in their tenure Coach Freshwater and delivered the Pahokee Package, Dooley had washed us with Showergate and Butch was the ringleader in his circus of cliches. The flush of initial optimism (except Kiffin which was always going to end in disaster) once they reached campus, Stooley and Botch from the start were metriculating to the status of former head coaches in my eyes.

Maybe I started from from a different place with Pruitt but it's different this time. His "I will confront them" after the Orange and White Game is just light years from "Looking for Rommel" or 366, bricks, Life Champions. Recruiting looks poised in the right direction. I have more confidence the team will be SEC ready.

We got to see what happens on Fall Saturdays but for the first time in a decade a coach is not disappointing me moments after he arrives on campus.

I would say for Bammer to come calling, Pruitt would likely have to do as much as win an SEC championship. If that happens, id be happy even if he left. And I do think he would leave in a heartbeat. He is a bammer through and through. Though, I do think he is genuinely happy to be at UT. But come on, all of this is so very hypothetical. Let's see if he can get this team back to a bowl game and instill soubd fundamentals first.

Reactions: 3 people
I would say for Bammer to come calling, Pruitt would likely have to do as much as win an SEC championship. If that happens, id be happy even if he left. And I do think he would leave in a heartbeat. He is a bammer through and through. Though, I do think he is genuinely happy to be at UT. But come on, all of this is so very hypothetical. Let's see if he can get this team back to a bowl game and instill soubd fundamentals first.

He might but when you put that much sweat into something and build it from the ground up, it becomes "yours." Sometimes that can trump fanship.

Reactions: 6 people
After the last 10 years...I’m still on a “wait and see results” mode...for ANYONE taking the helm of Tennessee Football. I could pull up similar threads to this after both Dooley and Butch’s hire...

I’ll be in Charlotte...like I was in Atlanta at the beginning of last year, wanting to see it on the field. I left ATL last year with grave concerns after that squeaker against GTech.

Reactions: 4 people

Depends. If Saban leaves in 2-3 years and Pruitt is winning SECE and challenging Bama, then maybe he leaves to the still better program. If saban waits 5 years, and Pruitt is contending for NCs by then, no way he leaves. Problem is, if he comes in after Saban, it is very difficult to establish his own legacy. It was the same here after Fulmer, the shadow was very large. Now enough time has passed that he can be his own man, even tho CPF is AD.

Reactions: 2 people
Depends. If Saban leaves in 2-3 years and Pruitt is winning SECE and challenging Bama, then maybe he leaves to the still better program. If saban waits 5 years, and Pruitt is contending for NCs by then, no way he leaves. Problem is, if he comes in after Saban, it is very difficult to establish his own legacy. It was the same here after Fulmer, the shadow was very large. Now enough time has passed that he can be his own man, even tho CPF is AD.

Pruitt ain't getting the call from Bama unless he is in the mix for national championships! Period! This is true because the others Bama will consider have been in the national championship games. And thats what it will take for Pruitt to be considered as replacement for Saban.

So, lets get it done and prepare for his return to Bama!

Sounds good to me!

It's a funny thing, success.

I agree with ru4real that the only way Bama tries to hire Pruitt away is after he has won a national title. Otherwise, they go after Dabo or someone else who has.

So let's play out Pruitt having won a national title as the Vols coach. He now has a choice: go home to one of his alma maters (remember, MTSU is his other college home), or stay at the place where he's already having dramatic success.

If money's not a deciding factor (which, with Fulmer pushing the right buttons, I'd think it would not be), that's a close call. He could go home to Bama, sure. Some pretty strong ties that bind him spiritually to there. But he could stay where he's succeeding, as well, attempt to build a lasting legacy on what he has already achieved.

We'll never know until and unless it happens.

And one thing's for sure: at that point, we'll be very happy that he's our coach, regardless of what comes after.

Go Vols!

It's a funny thing, success.

I agree with ru4real that the only way Bama tries to hire Pruitt away is after he has won a national title. Otherwise, they go after Dabo or someone else who has.

So let's play out Pruitt having won a national title as the Vols coach. He now has a choice: go home to one of his alma maters (remember, MTSU is his other college home), or stay at the place where he's already having dramatic success.

If money's not a deciding factor (which, with Fulmer pushing the right buttons, I'd think it would not be), that's a close call. He could go home to Bama, sure. Some pretty strong ties that bind him spiritually to there. But he could stay where he's succeeding, as well, attempt to build a lasting legacy on what he has already achieved.

We'll never know until and unless it happens.

And one thing's for sure: at that point, we'll be very happy that he's our coach, regardless of what comes after.

Go Vols!
Agreed. If he turns this ship around, he will be a huge fish in a small pond. If he returns to Alabama, he will be the guy after Nick Saban.

Some were afraid we’d lose Dooley to Georgia and Jones to Michigan

Valid point. Pruitt hasn't proven that he can head coach a football game but the "will he jump ship" conversation is def more legitimate than it was with Dooley and Jones. Pruitt is cut from a WAY different cloth.

Some were afraid we’d lose Dooley to Georgia and Jones to Michigan

Well, it's always something you think about, right? Whether a coach, a parent, a friend, or a romantic interest.

It's just human nature, when you value someone with their own free will.

And it doesn't matter whether that value is validated through experience. Anticipated value (like a coach in his first year) engenders concern that you might lose the person just as much as proven value does.

Despite being a big Fulmer fan, I was decidedly unimpressed with the Pruitt hire. But by this time in their tenure Coach Freshwater and delivered the Pahokee Package, Dooley had washed us with Showergate and Butch was the ringleader in his circus of cliches. The flush of initial optimism (except Kiffin which was always going to end in disaster) once they reached campus, Stooley and Botch from the start were metriculating to the status of former head coaches in my eyes.

Holy nicknames Batman, do you talk in code like that all day?

OP, I agree with you. The one thing I am concerned about is UT is not a place for on the job training. I think Pruitt is going to make a fine coach for us in the future but I believe its going to take some time to learn the ins and outs of the job. I hope im wrong and he wins a natty in the next couple of years.

VN Store

Back