Alls Quiet On The Coaching Job Front

Tux

It has been two days and all is quiet. Dave Hart even went to the Knoxville Zoo today.

What does that mean? Is it just a pressure release? Is it to throw the Knoxville media off? Is he thinking about things?

My thoughts are this…….

Dave Hart has someone working with him doing some footwork and legalese. Hart checked in on a Tim Miles/McDermott package deal (Doug McDermott's father). Miles wants to stay in the midwest. That does not mean that he was offered the job.

My feelings are that Hart knows who he wants and has some legal types and accounting types working up some numbers and contract initiatives. I don;t believe he would be waiting around to sign a tier three guy like Tyndall. I think that Hart os going after a big fish. He has an opportunity to really create a real legacy at Tennessee if he can land both a football coach who can turn things around and a top basketball coach, who can build a championship basketball team. I don;t think he is waiting on a Kmart blue light special coach. he could have had one of them already. He is swinging for the fences right now and that takes time.

I would mot be surprised of he landed a tier 1 coach and in a worst case scenario, he lands a tier 2 coach.

Tier 1
Gregg Marshall
Shaka Smart
Ben Howland
Jamie Dixon
Tom Crean

Tier 2
Mick Cronin
Chris Mack
Tubby Smith
Scott Drew
Dan Dakich
Jim Crews

Tier 3
Kurtis Townsend
Dane Fife
Michael White
John Pelphry
Richard Pitino
Archie Miller
Donnie Tyndall
Rick Byrd
Kermit Davis
Wade from UTC

Reactions: 7 people
I doubt that Hart would be waiting long to land Tyndall, if that is who he wanted. He could land at anytime if he wanted him.

I'd imagine that people from Tennessee have gone out to meet certain coaches. If those coaches are deemed suitable, they'll likely interview in the coming days.

Remember that time everyone thought hart was out working on landin a big fish as our football coach and weeks later he finally started taking trips and we got left at the altar several times. I hope things are different

Reactions: 1 person
Yes the proverbial big fish. I recall hearing about that in football right before Dooley was hired.

Reactions: 2 people
Remember that time everyone thought hart was out working on landin a big fish as our football coach and weeks later he finally started taking trips and we got left at the altar several times. I hope things are different

I don't. I hope he lands a young guy who has had success everywhere he's been - a guy who wants to be here. One who will (along with his staff) work tirelessly to recruit top players, and one who will promote the University. Then, that guy will build a united team that will go out on the field, er I mean court, and give every last ounce for him. (Don't get mad at me, cj, I get your point.).

Another thing it's Easter weekend and there will be lots of action next week... Then again as close to the vest Hart is no one really knows

It has been two days and all is quiet. Dave Hart even went to the Knoxville Zoo today.

What does that mean? Is it just a pressure release? Is it to throw the Knoxville media off? Is he thinking about things?

My thoughts are this…….

Dave Hart has someone working with him doing some footwork and legalese. Hart checked in on a Tim Miles/McDermott package deal (Doug McDermott's father). Miles wants to stay in the midwest. That does not mean that he was offered the job.

My feelings are that Hart knows who he wants and has some legal types and accounting types working up some numbers and contract initiatives. I don;t believe he would be waiting around to sign a tier three guy like Tyndall. I think that Hart os going after a big fish. He has an opportunity to really create a real legacy at Tennessee if he can land both a football coach who can turn things around and a top basketball coach, who can build a championship basketball team. I don;t think he is waiting on a Kmart blue light special coach. he could have had one of them already. He is swinging for the fences right now and that takes time.

I would mot be surprised of he landed a tier 1 coach and in a worst case scenario, he lands a tier 2 coach.

Tier 1
Gregg Marshall
Shaka Smart
Ben Howland
Jamie Dixon
Tom Crean

Tier 2
Mick Cronin
Chris Mack
Tubby Smith
Scott Drew
Dan Dakich
Jim Crews

Tier 3
Kurtis Townsend
Dane Fife
Michael White
John Pelphry
Richard Pitino
Archie Miller
Donnie Tyndall
Rick Byrd
Kermit Davis
Wade from UTC

Could mean he met his man at the zoo to finalize the deal... :crazy:

Yeah, I was going to say this is the same kind of quiet that occurred at the onset of the football coaching search.

But just remember Hart actually went after the big fish. Can't say the same about Hammy. He just went straight towards the mid level guys without even asking.

Geez, how long has the job been open, two days? Hart is still waiting for his hit men to finish their back channel work to see who is interested and who is not. Once he has that information, he can start making decisions.

These things are all handled under the table these days through intermediaries at least to the point it gets serious.

One thing it does seem to confirm, though, is that Hart wasn't anticipating this and didn't already have a replacement lined up.

If we want a "proven winner" Tyndall's record is no more better than Cuonzo's. Tyndall has coached in a weak C-USA and on top of that has only coached TWO NCAA tournament games in his 8 year tenure as a head coach. Just my opinion, but we can get better.

Reactions: 3 people
One thing it does seem to confirm, though, is that Hart wasn't anticipating this and didn't already have a replacement lined up.

If that is the case, he should be tarred, feathered, and fired.

it is the AD's job to have a list of candidates for every sport, in case of needing to make a change. That is his job.

If we want a "proven winner" Tyndall's record is no more better than Cuonzo's. Tyndall has coached in a weak C-USA and on top of that has only coached TWO NCAA tournament games in his 8 year tenure as a head coach. Just my opinion, but we can get better.

He coached two tournament teams in 1 bid leagues. Morehead State was 4-23 the year prior to his arrival. By year 3 he was in the NCAA with them. Then he went again and defeated Louisville there.

His last two years he had 27 and 29 wins.

200 wins in 9 total years coaching. 22.2 wins per season.

You can say a guy is winning or losing because of certain conferences he's in, the competition and recruiting are generally similar at the smaller schools, that makes it even harder to excel unless you're a good coach. If Zo was facing the 1 bid format, he'd still be at 0 NCAA bids.

I highly doubt that Tyndall is atop Hart's list at this time. Maybe next week, but not at this juncture of the process.

This would be the most disappointing hire we could make IMO and would do NOTHING to excite the fans.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back