Bob Gilbert Blows Up Again..................

Damn!

Many on here will get their panties in a wad but there is a lot of truth in this. The athletic dept. at UT is a joke at the moment. I hope like hell Butch wins here and decides to stay. UT can't handle ANOTHER negative perception black eye.

Reactions: 2 people
Old news....not sure it should be in the football forum.....and sensational journalism. The writer calls people lackeys and says Hart mistreated Martin. Clearly pandering to the national audience or the uninformed.

Reactions: 6 people
very hard for me to find credence in someone who writes for a newspapers located in the city with the one of the largest student body popultion in the state yet cant put 10,000 people in their football stadium. Sounds like alot of little brother butt hurt.

Reactions: 1 person
Why waste your time reading Ole Bob? He specializes in negative articles about UT. Almost as if he has a vendetta against the athletic department.

Reactions: 3 people
very hard for me to find credence in someone who writes for a newspapers located in the city with the one of the largest student body popultion in the state yet cant put 10,000 people in their football stadium. Sounds like alot of little brother butt hurt.

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense! smdh

How does writing a piece for a newspaper have anything to do with how many people show up for a football game?

By your logic, there's no way John Grisham could ever write a decent novel because he went to school in Mississippi...the state that has one of, if not the lowest, education rankings in the nation.

Reactions: 5 people
CBP set the bar high. Martin had big shoes to fill no doubt. The next coach will have a tough time due to poor recruiting by Martin. Did Hammy hire Martin? I don't remember.
Divided fans? We all want to win!
Hell, when I was at UT we had wade Houston and Kevin Oneil!

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense! smdh

How does writing a piece for a newspaper have anything to do with how many people show up for a football game?

By your logic, there's no way John Grisham could ever write a decent novel because he went to school in Mississippi...the state that has one of, if not the lowest, education rankings in the nation.

What does a guy in Murfreesboro know about UT sports? Nothing

What does anyone in Murfreesboro know about how a real athletic department works? nothing

if the writers was from Athens GA, Tuscaloosa, Lexington, etc.. there's a bit more credibility but coming from a school that struggles to get butts in seats but wants to dish out repimands reeks of jealousy.

is that slow enough for you?

Hart, Haslams, BOT, UT Admin, and dysfunctional ............ Somehow they all just fit.

But losing Cuonzo was a blind hog finding a nut.

What does a guy in Murfreesboro know about UT sports? Nothing

What does anyone in Murfreesboro know about how a real athletic department works? nothing

if the writers was from Athens GA, Tuscaloosa, Lexington, etc.. there's a bit more credibility but coming from a school that struggles to get butts in seats but wants to dish out repimands reeks of jealousy.

is that slow enough for you?

If you are this stupid, please do the world a favor and don't breed!

So what you're saying is if Bob lived in Athens, Lexington, or Tuscaloosa and wrote the exact same article then it would have merit? Wow!

Reactions: 8 people
The dysfunction at UT is deep. The article correctly identified Bama Dave as the majority reason Zo fled, but the "fickle-fan" comment remains stupid.

The "fickle-fans" filled TBA when we were underperforming. And the "fickle-fans" ate popcorn. The "fickle-fans" have EARNED the right to say, "Hey, we think we should be doing better right now. Hey, I really like the way Bruce Pearl got me fired up for basketball."

It's true that Hambone et al put us damn near on the event horizon of a black hole. But does anyone expect Bama Dave and Jimmy the Cheek to haul us out of the abyss?

Not much of an article in terms of proving much of anything. Hart let an underperforming coach, here under very difficult circumstances who (rightly or wrongly) fractured the fan base, walk away on his own terms because he didn't want to be here. He rightly didn't extend him last year so there was no untenable buyout like we've sadly become accustomed to around here. Cuonzo wasn't his guy, he let him go.....what's the problem?

The Football program which is responsible for 92% of the AD revenue is clearly headed in the right direction, he consolidated lady's bball program (to cut unnecessary duplication of costs) which just won the SEC, baseball and football teams very doing well, fired the track coach who had run that program into the ground, stopped the insane $6mil payment from AD to University, has the Thornton Center functioning back to how it should be.....sorry if I don't share the writer's pessimism about the job Hart is doing.

Hart walked into the absolute tire fire left by Hammy that was defined by ineptly negotiated coaching contracts/buyouts, a $200mm deficit, record low reserves and a broken football program. I fail to see where he's doing a poor job. Perhaps there are other facts than the ones this poorly written article tries to provide?

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
The dysfunction at UT is deep. The article correctly identified Bama Dave as the majority reason Zo fled, but the "fickle-fan" comment remains stupid.

The "fickle-fans" filled TBA when we were underperforming. And the "fickle-fans" ate popcorn. The "fickle-fans" have EARNED the right to say, "Hey, we think we should be doing better right now. Hey, I really like the way Bruce Pearl got me fired up for basketball."

It's true that Hambone et al put us damn near on the event horizon of a black hole. But does anyone expect Bama Dave and Jimmy the Cheek to haul us out of the abyss?

Yes I do expect Hart to pull us out of the abyss. It's his job and all the evidence shows that's exactly what he's doing. Our Athletic Dept has never been more healthy than the days of Florida Doug....

Reactions: 4 people

Well, sports fans, that's their job. Unfortunately their performance can not be judged immediately. Hopefully we will act like mature adults and literally let it play out.
Go Vols.

Martin leaving is just another part of the purging process. Not that Martin was a negative, he just wasn't Hart's guy and or in his vision for the future of the athletic department.

Reactions: 3 people
Yes I do expect Hart to pull us out of the abyss. It's his job and all the evidence shows that's exactly what he's doing. Our Athletic Dept has never been more healthy than the days of Florida Doug....

Unfortunately it's just not fast enough for some. Like five minutes after Martin bailed we should have hired a Final Four level coach. CBJ should have taken us to an SEC Championship and BCS Bowl Game last year and Holly should have won a championship in her first season.

Sad thing that many of the fan base wants instant gratification. These things take time but impatience will get the better of us.

Old news....not sure it should be in the football forum.....and sensational journalism. The writer calls people lackeys and says Hart mistreated Martin. Clearly pandering to the national audience or the uninformed.

Martin wrote his own death wish. It was not necessarily play on the court. It was his lack of engaging with fans and support. So much reminded me of Dooley. Butch understands the fan base thrives off interaction. Martin never even gave the effort. I'm not sure he like it here or he just has the personality of a wet mop. I like to give benefit of the doubt that he just didn't like it here and wants to be at a place where fans will leave him alone

CBP set the bar high. Martin had big shoes to fill no doubt. The next coach will have a tough time due to poor recruiting by Martin. Did Hammy hire Martin? I don't remember.
Divided fans? We all want to win!
Hell, when I was at UT we had wade Houston and Kevin Oneil!

I'm pretty sure Martin was the last hire (or major hire at least) in the Hamilton era. Not that it makes it right, but this may have played a role in how Hart has treated him since he isn't one of "his" guys. It'll be interesting to see where we go from here.

Martin wrote his own death wish. It was not necessarily play on the court. It was his lack of engaging with fans and support. So much reminded me of Dooley. Butch understands the fan base thrives off interaction. Martin never even gave the effort. I'm not sure he like it here or he just has the personality of a wet mop. I like to give benefit of the doubt that he just didn't like it here and wants to be at a place where fans will leave him alone

I agree Martin wrote his own death wish, but I actually do believe it was based on the play of his team. Cuonzo was class act dude, a stand up guy, a man to be admired IMO. I personally didn't need him to go rally the kids in Presidential Court or paint his chest at a lady vols game like Bruce. Had he not underperformed with last year's team, had he not had the really bad losses this year that you could lay directly at his feet (Tex AM twice, UTEP, Vandy, Missouri, 30 pt loss at Fla) with a very talented team I doubt many would say much of anything about his personality off the court. I know I wouldn't have...and he'd still be our coach with a nice raise and a contract extension.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Is this the same guy that tried to get his name in the headlines about 20 years ago by ratting us out on some minor NCAA infraction? He claimed to be a UT fan, but actions speak louder than words. I think that guy lived in Knoxville or Maryville though...maybe he got run out if town & moved to MTSU after that...

This article has SOME correct information. But, that was written like a jilted middle school girl who just had her boyfriend snatched away. Almost like reading an opinion piece on VN.
Wow, how childish for someone with supposed professional credentials. Whatever pays the bills I guess.

Compare this article to this interview :crazy:
Cuonzo Martin addresses departure for Cal, his relationship with UT during Knoxville radio interview » GoVolsXtra

Like I said....standup dude.

VN Store

Back