Has CBJ 'Sacked' Tennessee's Spring Football Tradition?

TroyCG

Why did CBJ screw with a Tennessee Tradition?

Under Coach Jones, we no longer have a real Orange and White Game. What we have now is an offense versus defense scrimmage...more like a glorified practice than the long-standing Spring time Tennessee Orange and White Game.

The Defense scores points? What's up with that?! It's like some sort of fantasy thing than a game between two squads or 'teams'.

Bring back the old school 'Orange' squad offense and defense, versus a 'White' squad of offensive and defensive players! Make it more like a real game.

Come on...the defense scores points for things other than a TD? Give me a break!

Anyway that's my opinion...:whistling:

Reactions: 14 people
He constantly preaches situational football. His scoring system seems to me to be a way to reward both the offense and defense based on situational plays (pts for a sack, a pick, a first down, etc). It takes a little getting used to, but I think it's actually a little more functional and performance-based that stresses important plays than a traditional Spring game.

Reactions: 12 people

Under Coach Jones, we no longer have a real Orange and White Game. What we have now is an offense versus defense scrimmage...more like a glorified practice than the long-standing Spring time Tennessee Orange and White Game.

The Defense scores points? What's up with that?! It's like some sort of fantasy thing than a game between two squads or 'teams'.

Bring back the old school 'Orange' squad offense and defense, versus a 'White' squad of offensive and defensive players! Make it more like a real game.

Come on...the defense scores points for things other than a TD? Give me a break!

I guess everyone has to fight for something.

Reactions: 1 person

There's one born every minute.

Great...anyone who simply raises a point about changing Tennessee Tradition gets ridiculed.

Thank you, KBVol, for an insightful reply and rationale.

Or they could let the captains draft their players so we don't know anything about the team afterwards.

I was sitting in the end zone where Peerless Price got his ankle broke. That was a game like situation. Different in a scrimmage.

If I am correct, some schools have even abandoned spring games. Enjoy what is offered, it showcases
orange and white. It's our team and the first time some of the guys play in Neyland with a crowd preparing them for a real game. It is the conclusion of spring practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It's a change, so some people who don't cope well with change will have a problem with it. I don't see the old O&W game as a tradition. I see it as a mock competition. Maybe it felt more like a real game, but it wasn't one. And people always dissected the results and dismissed any conclusions other fans made as a result of them, because so-and-so was on this team or the second string this and that.

Whatever changes Butch has made, he has also pumped a lot of excitement into it and made it more of a fan-friendly event than it's ever been, IMO.

Great...anyone who simply raises a point about changing Tennessee Tradition gets ridiculed.

What the hell are you talking about? Every year the UT spring game has a different format. Both Majors and Fulmer ran the exact format that Jones did this year. Offense on one side, defense on the other....you just don't know what you are talking about. There is no "tradition" regarding a spring game.....

Reactions: 8 people
I assume you are willing to sacrifice a spring "tradition" to get back to a winning tradition in the fall.

The stuff people care about.

Cue the Allen iverson practice clip

Reactions: 5 people

biden_wtf2.gif

It was one of the most exciting spring game events that I can remember, with a great attendance.

Reactions: 6 people
What the hell are you talking about? Every year the UT spring game has a different format. Both Majors and Fulmer ran the exact format that Jones did this year. Offense on one side, defense on the other....you just don't know what you are talking about. There is no "tradition" regarding a spring game.....

Try not to have a stroke over it, pal...

You want your "tradition" back?

You want laxidasical attitudes towards the program from the staff and the players? Go back to Fulmer from ~2001 until the end. Then you can have your "tradition" by the means of 1st String O and D sealclubbing the 2nd stringers.

Or maybe your definition of "tradition" was Kiffin? Or maybe Dooley?

Because UT hasn't been the UT of old in about 15 years now.

What Butch did was not only foster but force competition. The 1v1 drills in front of almost 70,000 (2nd most in college football) was very likely the first time a bulk of our new DBs had been challenged in such a high pressure environment in front of such a big crowd.

Jones also didn't rest the starters. The team was being constantly shifted in and out in situational drills and this led to a much more accurate environment.

I personally was very happy with the tempo of the game itself. Jones isn't resting on these guys and he definitely isn't letting them rest of themselves. Will this translate to wins? Only time will tell.

But I'd honestly say the program is the most intense it's been in a long time.

I think you are getting beat on because the above comments make it sound like more than just "raising a point". Comes across as bashing.

That said, I think the format gives CBJ a better means to evaluate what he has and what he needs to work on.

No worries Troy. Very easy to knee jerk on here, been guilty of it myself, trying to do better. Sorry you're having to endure a bunch of it now....don't take it personal bro.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back