Couldn't agree more with Coach Pearl

SmokeyLives

Every dog has his day!
From Bleacher Report:

"I wasn't surprised. I wasn't," Pearl told Athlon Sports this week. "Cuonzo didn't seem to be happy there. I know they talked about the fact that he had to overcome following me, and I understand that we had success, but they still had 18,000 people come to every single game. Overcome that or not, they got great support in Knoxville, great facilities, great university. The embracing needs to work both ways, so I'm happy for coach Martin."

"He maintained a level of success that we worked really hard to create," Pearl told Athlon. "I'm grateful to coach Martin as a former Tennessee head basketball coach, and a Vol for life, I'm grateful for the job he did because he kept it going. I wish him nothing but success at Cal, and if he wasn't happy there and he didn't feel appreciated there, then I'm glad he's not there because I want somebody there that wants to be there. So I appreciate the job he did and I'm happy for him and his family that they got a chance to move on."

Reactions: 57 people
Must be hard to be a Vol for life and the coach at Auburn at the same time. That's kind of like how Johhny Damon was a Redsock for life...until he started playing for the Yankees.

Reactions: 4 people
I would ask that some fans remember Martin talked about the outpouring of support via texts, calls and emails from fans and alumni. He said it was in the 100's of 1000's in an interview when asked about the response. This isn't talked about, but the petition with Eileen and Ben Dover takes all the focus.

From Bleacher Report:

"I wasn't surprised. I wasn't," Pearl told Athlon Sports this week. "Cuonzo didn't seem to be happy there. I know they talked about the fact that he had to overcome following me, and I understand that we had success, but they still had 18,000 people come to every single game. Overcome that or not, they got great support in Knoxville, great facilities, great university. The embracing needs to work both ways, so I'm happy for coach Martin."

"He maintained a level of success that we worked really hard to create," Pearl told Athlon. "I'm grateful to coach Martin as a former Tennessee head basketball coach, and a Vol for life, I'm grateful for the job he did because he kept it going. I wish him nothing but success at Cal, and if he wasn't happy there and he didn't feel appreciated there, then I'm glad he's not there because I want somebody there that wants to be there. So I appreciate the job he did and I'm happy for him and his family that they got a chance to move on."

Gotta be awkward for Auburn fans that Bruce still refers to himself as a VFL, and still cares so much about UT. Bruce obviously still really wants to be a Vol.

Reactions: 14 people
The VFL stuff goes out the window once I see him shirtless with a big blue AU painted on his chest...

Reactions: 2 people
Gotta be awkward for Auburn fans that Bruce still refers to himself as a VFL, and still cares so much about UT. Bruce obviously still really wants to be a Vol.

That's because he knows more UT fans are going to care about him at Auburn than Auburn fans.

Reactions: 7 people
BP strikes me as the kind of person who can carry an affection for Vol fans and the legacy here - while still coming into TBA and cleaning house as the Auburn coach.

If this coaching change ends up bringing a winning dynasty to UT Basketball, it will always be traced back to Pearl showing this generation of UT fans what UT men's basketball could be.... fans and boosters that could no longer settle for the mediocrity they once called "normal".

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Must be hard to be a Vol for life and the coach at Auburn at the same time. That's kind of like how Johhny Damon was a Redsock for life...until he started playing for the Yankees.

What is he suppose to do. Not coach at all. We wont hire him back because Jimmy Cheek is the devil.

Reactions: 7 people
BTW, Bruce has practically been the only one to publicly defend our canvass this week. That says something to me.

Agree. His comments are a big deal, he could have stayed neutral. The "embracing goes both ways" comment is strong and speaks volumes.

Reactions: 8 people
What is he suppose to do. Not coach at all. We wont hire him back because Jimmy Cheek is the devil.

It just must be a little weird. I'm not sure U.T. fans would be happy if they hired a former S.E.C. coach who claimed to be, I don't know, A Bammer for life, or maybe a Wildcat for life.

If this coaching change ends up bringing a winning dynasty to UT Basketball, it will always be traced back to Pearl showing this generation of UT fans what UT men's basketball could be.... fans and boosters that could no longer settle for the mediocrity they once called "normal".

Easy now

Reactions: 3 people
We're not used to people who walk the walk in this society. I think Pearl will go to his grave as a confirmed VFL but it won't stop him from stomping the Vols in TBA as AU'S coach.

VN Store

Back